The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    ICBM said:
    capo4th said:
    When you were a young lad?
    One, yes - Wilson's first government. The other was before even my time - Attlee's government. A long time ago, certainly - although the last to run a surplus was Blair's, in his first term.

The point is that regardless of how long ago or not, you're simply factually wrong about the past economic performance of the two parties. You can argue about whether that will apply in the future if you like… but I see no reason to inherently doubt it without providing some more sound reasoning than you have so far ;).
    If you want to be impartial, beware of the qualifying clauses e.g. " only two governments to leave office with a surplus "

when I see that sort of thing, I want how many govt terms ended in surplus, since that "leave office" qualifier will probably have been chosen deliberately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

ICBM said:
    capo4th said:
    When you were a young lad?
    One, yes - Wilson's first government. The other was before even my time - Attlee's government. A long time ago, certainly - although the last to run a surplus was Blair's, in his first term.

The point is that regardless of how long ago or not, you're simply factually wrong about the past economic performance of the two parties. You can argue about whether that will apply in the future if you like… but I see no reason to inherently doubt it without providing some more sound reasoning than you have so far ;).
    We are in a different millennium now though ICBM and Labours policies dictate that they will bankrupt society as we know it. 
    how do you know the PLP would actually follow the instructions of someone they have tried to remove from office?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    edited June 2017
    capo4th said:

We are in a different millennium now though ICBM and Labours policies dictate that they will bankrupt society as we know it. 
    Much more left-wing ones didn't in the past, so why would they now? History indicates that it's the Tories who do that.

In fact, the record this millennium shows exactly that as well - Osborne borrowed more money in six years than all the Labour governments of the last millennium and this one put together, including Blair's and Brown's.

You should probably just go and look it all up, it will save us both some time .

ToneControl said:

If you want to be impartial, beware of the qualifying clauses e.g. " only two governments to leave office with a surplus "

when I see that sort of thing, I want how many govt terms ended in surplus, since that "leave office" qualifier will probably have been chosen deliberately.
    It was - because Capo said that the Tories have to clean up the mess Labour leaves behind, so the leaving office bit is important.

The other two governments to run a surplus - Thatcher's for a couple of years in the late 80s, and Blair's in his first term - did not leave office with one.

So in fact, although it's only true to say that Labour *sometimes* ends a government term with a surplus, the Tories *always* end one with a deficit. And since Blair did end his first term with one, that actually makes three by that definition vs none for the Tories…

Whichever way you look at it, Labour are the party with the better record, and by quite some margin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Budgie said:
    'Kin hell, will someone take the sherry off the retard... take it easy Capo, big day tomorrow 
    Early vote for me after checking out the mums political opinions at the school gates early doors.

Private school so everyone will vote Tory to nobble Jeremy's plans for adding VAT to private school fees. 

Full day ahead meetings in the morning hopefully no political discussion then probably catch up on a few emails and clear some admin in the afternoon. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    btw I am wondering if Diane Abbot is genuinely ill

If it is migraines (as she said before), they knock 40 to 50 IQ points out of you during an attack. Triptans can fix this, but not if you haven't been diagnosed yet and aren't taking them

When I have a migraine, I can't think straight, my IQ is suddenly very low, and it is very odd. Taking triptans, you're back in the room at your normal IQ in 20 or 30 minutes, which is like night and day, a very odd experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23149
    Fretwired said:
    But the reason we have high debt is down to Brown - in fairness he has admitted his mistakes and apologised. He basically put a bunch of bankers in charge of the body that regulated the banks and off they went buying packages of debt and other things that didn't exist, and in the case of RBS a bankrupt bank that bankrupted them. It was a major fuck-up of astronomical proportions and I could write all day on the subject - Brown also forced Lloyds to buy HBOS (it should have been left to die) and that nearly destroyed Lloyds Bank.

He sold our gold for peanuts and promised an end to boom and bust. He also ordered two useless aircraft carriers just to keep his voters in jobs.

I'm sure Corbyn will be useless as they're all bloody useless but to me his ideas make more sense in terms of a fairer society.

I know what Brown's part was in it. It's the idea that he was responsible for the whole big kablooming lot that it dumbdedumbdumb, which is why I was mocking the gentleman. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I'm stuck regardless who I vote for, living in (I think) the second safest Labour seat in the country. 
    Not Dianne Abbott's seat?!
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    capo4th said:
    Diane Abbott was spotted running around in Oxford Circus at 830am this morning she looked fit as a fiddle.

This can't be right.  She's definitely been locked in a cupboard at least until Thursday morning.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    capo4th said:
    Budgie said:
    'Kin hell, will someone take the sherry off the retard... take it easy Capo, big day tomorrow 
    Early vote for me after checking out the mums political opinions at the school gates early doors.

Private school so everyone will vote Tory to nobble Jeremy's plans for adding VAT to private school fees. 

Full day ahead meetings in the morning hopefully no political discussion then probably catch up on a few emails and clear some admin in the afternoon. 
    That sounds like a fulfilling day. Presumably you are still attending school to improve your appalling spelling and grammar. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    capo4th said:
    The Torys always have to borrow more to fix the Labour mess they always leave behind.

17.5 years of tory government. thatcher and major.

no labour government .yet two recessions, millions out of work, house repossessions,negative equity and

the rich got wealthier.

is there a pattern here ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Budgie said:
    capo4th said:
    Budgie said:

That sounds like a fulfilling day. Presumably you are still attending school to improve your appalling spelling and grammar. 
    He's actually a teacher. He lectures in Rectal-Cranial Studies. 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1782
    Fretwired said:
    But the reason we have high debt is down to Brown - in fairness he has admitted his mistakes and apologised. He basically put a bunch of bankers in charge of the body that regulated the banks and off they went buying packages of debt and other things that didn't exist, and in the case of RBS a bankrupt bank that bankrupted them. It was a major fuck-up of astronomical proportions and I could write all day on the subject - Brown also forced Lloyds to buy HBOS (it should have been left to die) and that nearly destroyed Lloyds Bank.

He sold our gold for peanuts and promised an end to boom and bust. He also ordered two useless aircraft carriers just to keep his voters in jobs.

I'm sure Corbyn will be useless as they're all bloody useless but to me his ideas make more sense in terms of a fairer society.

I know what Brown's part was in it. It's the idea that he was responsible for the whole big kablooming lot that it dumbdedumbdumb, which is why I was mocking the gentleman. 

Well who was responsible for it? Labour had been in government for 10 years before the financial crash. Blair has admitted himself that they should have had tighter regulation on the banks and there was too much government spending because everything looked rosy.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    The Labour voters are silent Labour voters this election even on the fretboard. 

Rest assured they they will turn out in force tomorrow and kick May in the hedge where she belongs.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

Jesus titty fucking Christ capo! Shut the fuck up! *yawn* 

Glad this is over tomorrow either way, at least troll boy can get back in his boring box
    Can you be the administrator of the Tory victory thread I will start on Friday morning ?

I have booked the day off and will be too busy to maintain it thanks in advance chum 
    Can you be the administrator of the Labour victory thread I will start on Friday morning ?

I have booked the day off and will be too busy to maintain it thanks in advance chum  

Comprehensive school so everyone will vote Labour to nobble May's plans to avoid adding VAT to private school fees. 

Labour always have to borrow more to fix the Tory mess they always leave behind.
    Love how Tory supporters are in total denial about their party's past performance !

and their Leaders past associations......

A complete shower of shit and the front bench this time round is the worst in living memory and still you are confident about putting them in power. 

Delluded if you believe May's pipe dreams can come true.
    ronnyb said:

Well who was responsible for it? Labour had been in government for 10 years before the financial crash. Blair has admitted himself that they should have had tighter regulation on the banks and there was too much government spending because everything looked rosy.

I know all of this, sir. Blair and Brown have plenty to take responsibility for. However they weren't singularly responsible for a global financial collapse. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    For Da Capo:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom