The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I'd be very surprised if anyone but Conservative won where I live..
    my local MP is John Redwood
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    nickb_boy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    btw I am wondering if Diane Abbot is genuinely ill

If it is migraines (as she said before), they knock 40 to 50 IQ points out of you during an attack. 
    I'm not sure she's got that many to spare.
    Jamaican working class parents, got a degree from Cambridge

Unlikely to be thick

I'd thought she was just being half-arsed, but after a few bad interviews I've reconsidered
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06/07/we-need-to-talk-about-diane-abbott-now-explicit-content/

Looks like she may well have a rather higher IQ than we give her credit for based on her recent performance.  If that is anything to go by maybe we should go easy on Capo, he may well be a genius but just gets nervous when typing on public forums.
    I have a number of qualifications from recognised establishments but also enjoy getting completely wasted on a regular basis. I would say above average IQ although drug use may have destroyed a number of brain cells since my last Mensa test.

JezWynd said:
    Fuck me,I actually accidentally wis'd capo while scrolling down the page.

May explain a lot.
    Can't you take it back by clicking on it again? Or is that somewhere else? Election fever.
    Come on that is a blatant U turn 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:
    A solid Tory stronghold be sure to show him your support tomorrow 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    capo4th said:
    The Torys always have to borrow more to fix the Labour mess they always leave behind.
    lol

The only two governments to leave office with a surplus were both Labour ones :).
    A surplus means nothing ....

John Major's government - by 1997 employment was rising, growth stable, and the deficit was well under control, meaning that Gordon Brown as chancellor inherited the most benign economic scenario for any British government of the last century. The situation was so fundamentally strong that it took three successive Labour administrations to wreck it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    But wreck it they did ! 
    capo4th said:
    Clarky said:
    A solid Tory stronghold be sure to show him your support tomorrow 
    I'm usually a Tory voter…
    but the remoaner in me wants to vote Lib Dem
    because right now, they are the closest fit to what I believe in
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23149
    capo4th said:

Someone needs to highlight that Labours pipe dream policies will never come to fruition if they get elected or not. They will say anything to secure a vote. Desperate Party.
    Going by the Mail, Times, Express, and Sun headlines today, I think it's safe to say there's enough highlighting going on. 

I am also a remoaner but hey some you win some you u lose.

The Lib dems just seem like a sideshow party not really sure what they represent ?

Daffodils ? 
    capo4th said:

Someone needs to highlight that Labours pipe dream policies will never come to fruition if they get elected or not. They will say anything to secure a vote. Desperate Party.
    Going by the Mail, Times, Express, and Sun headlines today, I think it's safe to say there's enough highlighting going on. 

They know the score. 

Lots of young people dont really know any better and at 18-19 Corbyns policy's sound like the chocolate factory ! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    capo4th said:

I would say above average IQ although drug use may have destroyed a number of brain cells since my last Mensa test.
    Crack?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2372
    ronnyb said:
    Fretwired said:
    But the reason we have high debt is down to Brown - in fairness he has admitted his mistakes and apologised. He basically put a bunch of bankers in charge of the body that regulated the banks and off they went buying packages of debt and other things that didn't exist, and in the case of RBS a bankrupt bank that bankrupted them. It was a major fuck-up of astronomical proportions and I could write all day on the subject - Brown also forced Lloyds to buy HBOS (it should have been left to die) and that nearly destroyed Lloyds Bank.

He sold our gold for peanuts and promised an end to boom and bust. He also ordered two useless aircraft carriers just to keep his voters in jobs.

I'm sure Corbyn will be useless as they're all bloody useless but to me his ideas make more sense in terms of a fairer society.

I know what Brown's part was in it. It's the idea that he was responsible for the whole big kablooming lot that it dumbdedumbdumb, which is why I was mocking the gentleman. 

Well who was responsible for it? Labour had been in government for 10 years before the financial crash. Blair has admitted himself that they should have had tighter regulation on the banks and there was too much government spending because everything looked rosy.
    i think you'll find that the tories were campaigning for lighter regulation of the banks
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    edited June 2017
    Bidley said:
    capo4th said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Dianne Abbott demands a recount of the leaves falling from the money tree
    Why not argue your corner? Would you agree there is inequality? Young people are expected to get into debt for a decent education, face a lack of well paid jobs and stand very little chance of being able to buy a property without help from the bank of mum and dad.  How would you fix this inequality?

Labour have at least tried to address this issue through tax rises for the better off, the closing of tax loopholes, a rise in corporation tax which would fund the scrapping tuition fees and a commitment to build more affordable housing.  Their manifesto probably doesn't add up, but it's more progressive than the Tories which wasn't costed and has seen more U-turns than a Liverpudlian joy rider.

I was lucky - my higher education was fully funded, I walked into a well paid job and I bought my first house in my mid 20's in the early 1980s. As a society we have gone backwards ... discuss.
    Of course there is inequality welcome to the world. 

Educated people earn more in their lifetime why shouldn't they pay for the privilege?
    Why do people in today's society expect everything for free ?

I find it frankly astounding that people aged 50+ had such an easy ride (free education, plentiful jobs, cheap housing), and yet are determined to deprive that of the younger generation.

Nobody wants it for free, they just want the opportunities that you had.
    Get your ages right

cheap housing and plentiful jobs ended in 1980:
    http://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/unemployment-total-600x456.png

50 to 54 year olds would have finished Uni or reached their 20s  in 1984-88 - which had a higher rate of unemployment  than anyone younger will have experienced

Houses were cheap until the early 80s too, then they zoomed up
    ICBM said:
    capo4th said:

I would say above average IQ although drug use may have destroyed a number of brain cells since my last Mensa test.
    Crack?
    A little rough on the throat 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    I bought my first house for 41k, and sold it for 65k two years later. That was in 1996-98. That leg up helped me secure a bigger property which I also sold on at a profit when I moved up north. I was 21 when I bought my first place, and that was in Surrey.

Kids these days are lucky if they can afford a deposit on a 1 bed flat before they are 30. The problem is, many of my generation capitalised on rising prices by buying to let in huge numbers. Rent is now considerably more expensive than mortgage payments because of high demand and low interest. 

Something needs to give. We need more affordable housing (actually affordable, not what the Tories think is affordable!), more regulation of the private rental market and government help to get into properties, whether that's LA housing or help to buy. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2372
    I bought my first house for 41k, and sold it for 65k two years later. That was in 1996-98. That leg up helped me secure a bigger property which I also sold on at a profit when I moved up north. I was 21 when I bought my first place, and that was in Surrey.

Kids these days are lucky if they can afford a deposit on a 1 bed flat before they are 30. They problem is, many of my generation capitalised on rising prices by buying to let in huge numbers. Rent is now considerably more expensive than mortgage payments because of high demand and low interest. 

Something needs to give. We need more affordable housing (actually affordable, not what the Tories think is affordable!), more regulation of the private rental market and government help to get into properties, whether that's LA housing or help to buy. 

You know the tories won't do anythign for that.  However the private market doesn't want to invest in cheap housing as the margins are low..  
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    ICBM said:
    capo4th said:

Crack?
    Yes, Ms May's mainly ;)
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 894
    I'm going to be voting in direct accordance with the Tactical 2017 website today.
    capo4th said:
    I am also a remoaner but hey some you win some you u lose.

The Lib dems just seem like a sideshow party not really sure what they represent ?

Daffodils ? 
    yeah I know it's really a 2 horse race..
    but it feels wrong to vote for something I don't believe in
    I think Labour will be a disaster
    and I think the Tory / UKIP take on Brexit will be a disaster
    there's no one left..
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    capo4th said:
    capo4th said:
    My wisdom frets are going through the roof this week .....
    Yet no one appears to be sticking their neck out and actually speaking up to back you.

What's that theory about Tory voters keeping quiet until marking their cross again?
    The most important thing is that people get out and vote for the mighty blues tomorrow.

Loads of secret Tory voters on here trust me on that check my DMs 
    What have your Doc Martens to do with anything?

Laugh, love, live, learn.