The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6288
    There are some very bright minds behind polling companies, uber mathematicians etc and they still get it very wrong. I think it is essentially a guessing game with lots of assumptions and err...guesswork. I think they are largely meaningless, as the sample sizes are small.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    octatonic said:
    Of course it is.
    It is time off from working to do something unpaid.
    Are you  conflating time off with downtime?
    Eh?

Each local authority employs people for each election. You apply to work in a polling station Or count votes. They are paid. In some constituencies, for a General Election, the person in charge of the polling station gets over £300 for the day. 

Counting votes or running a polling station isn't unpaid. 

Now, working for a party unpaid to observe the counting, that may be unpaid - but they are different things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    octatonic said:
    Of course it is.
    It is time off from working to do something unpaid.
    Are you  conflating time off with downtime?
    Eh?

Each local authority employs people for each election. You apply to work in a polling station Or count votes. They are paid. In some constituencies, for a General Election, the person in charge of the polling station gets over £300 for the day. 

Counting votes or running a polling station isn't unpaid. 

Now, working for a party unpaid to observe the counting, that may be unpaid - but they are different things.
    I've done it and it was well paid.

I did one place out in the middle of nowhere and all the voters had voted by lunchtime .. I had to sit in the church hall until 10:00 pm.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Budgie said:
    LoL a poll of 2000 people your pissing in the wind lad

JezWynd said:
    capo4th said:
    JezWynd said:
    capo4th said:
    Hit me baby
    Are you getting paid for this? Can't think why else you would do it.
    Paid for doing what ? Voicing a positive Tory opinion on an Internet guitar forum?

Is posting 'Hit me baby' is a positive tory opinion? How times have changed. You must to be graduate of Trump University with honours in shooting self in foot.
    Not sure of your point their pal but feel free to try and make it again

Ann Widdecombe, also claiming to have correctly predicted Trump and Brexit, reckons a Conservative majority of 90.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/08/general-election-2017-voting-begins-exit-polls-results-live/
    Now your talking.......
    capo4th said:

Ann Widdecombe, also claiming to have correctly predicted Trump and Brexit, reckons a Conservative majority of 90.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/08/general-election-2017-voting-begins-exit-polls-results-live/
    Now your talking.......
    Momentum is promising a bigger version of this if May wins .. anti-Tory riot in Whitehall .. of course there are far fewer policemen ....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    capo4th said:

Now your talking.......
    You're.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Doctors will be voting Conservative today 
    Not any of the doctors I know.
    Pah ... a friend of mine is a top surgeon at Southampton General and he earns about £300K ... think he's going to vote Labour? No way. People vote with their wallets. And as he says the NHS has bigger problems than cash - he cites us for failing to take care of ourselves.
    I imagine top surgeons and consultants are outnumbered by junior doctors though. Can't see too many of those voting for a party containing the other Jeremy with the appropriate rhyming slang...
    you're talking about a group who are very likely to become top 5% taxpayers, so don't be so sure
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

Now your talking.......
    Momentum is promising a bigger version of this if May wins .. anti-Tory riot in Whitehall .. of course there are far fewer policemen ....

A few toffee students looking for a row ? The police will lap that up they love a good riot.
    Allows them to put their training and expertise into practice and crush a few heads.

I genuinely fear a big riot / or protest this weekend when Corbyn loses the election and people's rainbow dreams are shattered. Some of the hate spewing from Labour supporters on social media is quite unbelievable.

Obviously this forum is full of nice down to earth reasonably minded people apart from the odd bellend Labour fanboy. All very civilised criticism and debate !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Pah ... a friend of mine is a top surgeon at Southampton General and he earns about £300K ... think he's going to vote Labour? No way. People vote with their wallets. And as he says the NHS has bigger problems than cash - he cites us for failing to take care of ourselves.
    I imagine top surgeons and consultants are outnumbered by junior doctors though. Can't see too many of those voting for a party containing the other Jeremy with the appropriate rhyming slang...
    you're talking about a group who are very likely to become top 5% taxpayers, so don't be so sure
    Most people vote with their bank balance and long term future in mind. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    capo4th said:

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    No they don't. Most people vote Tory, apparently.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Fretwired said:

Fretwired said:

As for lazy stereotypes- you started it ;)
    What? By mentioning one doctor I know. I didn't generalise about doctors.

The comment people vote with their wallets stands up to scrutiny - if your wallet is empty and you can't make ends meet you tend to vote Labour and if you're very well off  you'll tend to vote for the Tories. The two main parties are mainly fighting over the votes people in the middle.

What if you're well off but feel that a country that looks after its poor, sick and young is more important than being a bit better off? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    capo4th said:

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    most people shouldn't be voting tory then, surely, if only 5% of people will be worse off under Labour?
    capo4th said:

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    most people shouldn't be voting tory then, surely, if only 5% of people will be worse off under Labour?
    A lot of people I know are worried about the impact on jobs or the corporation tax rise. I quite relaxed about it but I know those who work for small companies are fearful for their jobs.

underdog said:
    Fretwired said:

Fretwired said:

The comment people vote with their wallets stands up to scrutiny - if your wallet is empty and you can't make ends meet you tend to vote Labour and if you're very well off  you'll tend to vote for the Tories. The two main parties are mainly fighting over the votes people in the middle.

What if you're well off but feel that a country that looks after its poor, sick and young is more important than being a bit better off? 
    That's me .. I voted Labour.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    capo4th said:

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    No they don't. Most people vote Tory, apparently.
    Thank goodness we have a sensible population.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:

Fretwired said:

That's me .. I voted Labour.

Yup, me too
    I voted Labour too.
    And I very much voted against my own selfish short-term financial interest here.

edited June 2017