The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    paulads said:
    It'd take a miracle for Corbyn to win...I think the Conservatives will stumble over the line...sold as a strong and stable continuation of Government with

Theresa May - Prime Minister
    Phillip Hammond - Chancellor of the Exchequer
    Amber Rudd - Home Secretary
    Boris Johnson - Foreign Secretary

In the aftermath, I think at least 3/4 of them will not be doing the jobs they are currently doing. 
    You still want BoJo on the Brexit team?
    No. I don't want any of those people in any of those jobs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I bought my first house for 41k, and sold it for 65k two years later. That was in 1996-98. That leg up helped me secure a bigger property which I also sold on at a profit when I moved up north. I was 21 when I bought my first place, and that was in Surrey.

Kids these days are lucky if they can afford a deposit on a 1 bed flat before they are 30. The problem is, many of my generation capitalised on rising prices by buying to let in huge numbers. Rent is now considerably more expensive than mortgage payments because of high demand and low interest. 

Something needs to give. We need more affordable housing (actually affordable, not what the Tories think is affordable!), more regulation of the private rental market and government help to get into properties, whether that's LA housing or help to buy. 
    depends where you buy - The south east has gone crazy - so there are options. I have met emigres from down south up here, baffled why no one has followed them

You can buy a well-maintained terraced house in Liverpool for £50k with Double glazing, in a pleasant street 
    A nice 3 bed ex-council semi is about £70k

From Northwich you can commute easily into Liverpool and Manchester. It is very near to Knutsford, probably the most upmarket town in the North west, and is surrounded by very nice countryside and good motorway links 
    In Northwich, you can buy a nice terraced house for £80k
    ex-council 3 beds next to an ofsted-outstanding school for £130k (very nicely done up ones)

The comment on rent vs mortgage confuses me: how could anyone offer a house to rent for less than the mortgage payments? Why would anyone buy a BTL to rent out if the income (before costs and the new tax) was less than mortgage payments would be? 
    Why would I want to live in Liverpool or Manchester? 
    Manchester is way more fun than London, much of the centre is ultra-busy day and night and has that international buzz about the place. Not cheap though, but much cheaper than London
    Depends what you want from life:
    • a 2 bed flat in London or a 4 bed detached house in the next biggest city 
    • enough cash to choose an area for schooling (this is the next decision you will need to take), or not. I moved out from Manchester after 20 years of loving the place when my daughter was 1, since I realised the schools all had inner-city issues, and I wanted her to grow up somewhere more rural. Cheshire has it all from that perspective, whereas Manchester is great for shopping and nightlife
    • Liverpool is not as good as Manchester. but still an amazing city to live in
    In any case, I was pointing out that the problem only exists for those who refuse to consider a change in area
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5314
    capo4th said:
    Doctors will be voting Conservative today 

Not any of the doctors I know.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    capo4th said:

Pah ... a friend of mine is a top surgeon at Southampton General and he earns about £300K ... think he's going to vote Labour? No way. People vote with their wallets. And as he says the NHS has bigger problems than cash - he cites us for failing to take care of ourselves.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I went to vote at 7:30 am and there was a queue ... that means the turnout looks like being high. Usually when I go there's me and 8 bored looking council employees at four tables.

Go and vote people.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Pah ... a friend of mine is a top surgeon at Southampton General and he earns about £300K ... think he's going to vote Labour? No way. People vote with their wallets. And as he says the NHS has bigger problems than cash - he cites us for failing to take care of ourselves.
    I imagine top surgeons and consultants are outnumbered by junior doctors though. Can't see too many of those voting for a party containing the other Jeremy with the appropriate rhyming slang...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    I imagine top surgeons and consultants are outnumbered by junior doctors though. Can't see too many of those voting for a party containing the other Jeremy with the appropriate rhyming slang...

All the consultants I know were broadly supportive of the junior doctors strike and are acutely aware of the impact of cuts... sorry, efficiency savings in the NHS. Being... let's say "very comfortably well off" doesn't automatically make you a selfish bastard. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

All the consultants I know were broadly supportive of the junior doctors strike and are acutely aware of the impact of cuts... sorry, efficiency savings in the NHS. Being... let's say "very comfortably well off" doesn't automatically make you a selfish bastard. 
    And being a junior doctor doesn't make you a rabid Corbyn supporter either. I don't like lazy stereotypes as when you dig deeper they don't stack up. People are complex - the few health professionals I know think Labour fucked up royally with the GPs contracts that has led to pressures on A&E, the multiple layers of bureaucracy, the targets and PFI. There are also not supportive of using foreign doctors many of who aren't up to scratch (check the BMA's view). Neither the Tories nor Labour seem committed to spending the vast sum of money to train new doctors. Thousands of students are turned away every year as there's a cap on training places and money. I think you'll find a lot of doctors pissed off with both main parties and voting Lib Dem.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    edited June 2017
    Fretwired said:
    I went to vote at 7:30 am and there was a queue ... that means the turnout looks like being high. Usually when I go there's me and 8 bored looking council employees at four tables.

Go and vote people.
    Bad news, it's pissing down. Apparently some people see this as of greater importance than being engaged in the political process.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    According to the Daily Mail if you vote Tory you are thick and not very intelligent ..... its a year or so old but makes sense .. :-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2095549/Right-wingers-intelligent-left-wingers-says-controversial-study--conservative-politics-lead-people-racist.html

Polling firm that claims to have correctly predicted Brexit, Trump, the Turkish and Italian constitutional referenda and the recent Dutch elections says Labour are ahead:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/election-polls-labour-conservative-winner

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

And being a junior doctor doesn't make you a rabid Corbyn supporter either. I don't like lazy stereotypes as when you dig deeper they don't stack up. People are complex - the few health professionals I know think Labour fucked up royally with the GPs contracts that has led to pressures on A&E, the multiple layers of bureaucracy, the targets and PFI. There are also not supportive of using foreign doctors many of who aren't up to scratch (check the BMA's view). Neither the Tories nor Labour seem committed to spending the vast sum of money to train new doctors. Thousands of students are turned away every year as there's a cap on training places and money. I think you'll find a lot of doctors pissed off with both main parties and voting Lib Dem.
    I'm sure there will be doctors voting for every party on the spectrum, so you and I both agree that Capo is wrong.

As for lazy stereotypes- you started it ;)

Fretwired said:

As for lazy stereotypes- you started it ;)
    What? By mentioning one doctor I know. I didn't generalise about doctors.

The comment people vote with their wallets stands up to scrutiny - if your wallet is empty and you can't make ends meet you tend to vote Labour and if you're very well off  you'll tend to vote for the Tories. The two main parties are mainly fighting over the votes people in the middle.

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    Budgie said:
    That's the one I just posted. I had a look at the firm's website. They claim a pretty impressive track record over the last year or so- Brexit, Trump, Italian and Turkish constitutional referenda, Dutch general election all correctly predicted. 

Weirdly though, there's an article from USA Today from last year saying that Qriously called the election for Clinton, although the quotes in the article from Qriously themselves show them hedging their bets somewhat.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    capo4th said:
    JezWynd said:
    capo4th said:
    Hit me baby
    Are you getting paid for this? Can't think why else you would do it.
    Paid for doing what ? Voicing a positive Tory opinion on an Internet guitar forum?

Is posting 'Hit me baby' is a positive tory opinion? How times have changed. You must to be graduate of Trump University with honours in shooting self in foot.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Whatever happens I think we need Labour to keep left of centre to keep politics generally central. I think it's been proven there's an appetite for more left wing politics and it's a fallacy that the population is more naturally right wing. There's just been tons of disenfranchised people who didn't have a party to vote for. During New Labour I think a lot of the more left leaning people voted Liberal Democrat, but now those people are going to be voting Labour. 

I don't know, I've just woken up a lot more positive than I was feeling yesterday. I hope I'm not disappointed
    My V key is broken
    Ann Widdecombe, also claiming to have correctly predicted Trump and Brexit, reckons a Conservative majority of 90.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/08/general-election-2017-voting-begins-exit-polls-results-live/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6288
    I think we have all learned not to pay much attention to polls. For every one that calls it right, you will find another wrong. We hang on to polls that predict what we want to see. Guilty as charged.

I'll pay em no attention til about 5 or 6 tomorrow morning, when it will all have washed through.
    Snap said:
    I think we have all learned not to pay much attention to polls. 
    True. I don't know if I've just been paying more attention this time but they seem to have been particularly all over the place this year.

It'll be interesting to see who got it right once we know the outcome and there will undoubtedly be some backslapping among the "winners" of that particular game but I don't think anyone really has a clue.