The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    Diane Abbott pranked ...

Ms Abbott was caught out by an email prankster who sent her a message purporting to be from Seumas Milne, Mr Corbyn’s director of communications. She apparently said in a response: “Do you still want to add colour to the illness story? If so maybe we should speak.” In reply to a second email from “@Sinon_Reborn”, she said: “I am not sure what colour I can add . . . I am worried about telling untruths about my health which are easily disproved”.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4578646/Diane-Abbott-fooled-Seumas-Milne-email-prankster.html?ITO=1490

Just to play devils advocate here. I've no love for Ms Abbott, but I'm disturbed by this...

Assume she really is ill for a second. Her reply to email one could merely be a sick person refusing to go along with a PR embellishment and wanting a conversation about it instead. Her second reply is possibly saying "I won't lie about the details of my illness, and it would be easy to get found out even if I agreed to it". 

What people will will remember from this is that she isn't ill and is lying. That could be true, but the selective bits of these emails don't prove anything. 

Another new low...
    Er .. that's right .. she was pranked .. not sure anyone's called her a liar, although it does suggest that's she is probably tired and worn out rather than seriously ill as she doesn't want to go along with any embellishment of her condition. She's done a lot of campaigning.

Paul Mason did worse to May on TV when he said was she was ill and not fit to be PM.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    Thanks Fret.... there's a few blue strongholds here indeed. My constituency has been Tory since 1950 (previously West Derbyshire)  so no hope of any change here but it's still important to go and vote.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    stickyfiddle said:

The german system is very good. IIRC you get 2 votes; one for your local MP, and another for the national level (ie the party/person you want to be in charge). Each winning local gets a seat based on the total of #1 votes in each constituency, then extra parliamentary seats are added from a "reserve MP list" until the ratio matches the makeup of #2 votes, and the winning party at the national level gets to have its leader in power.
    This is a slightly better version of the Additional Member system used for the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments, with a proportionality element.

Interestingly the German system was devised by the British after WWII, exactly to prevent an elected minority government taking unrestrained power… I wonder why :). But although this system was thought to be the best, for some reason the logical step of applying it in the UK was not followed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Newport West please.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Oxford West and Abingdon if you don't mind @Fretwired
    Stop crying, start buying
    LoFi said:
    Could you do Winchester please? Used to be LD, heavily Con last couple of times, but all of the likely Lab voters I've spoken to have said they're voting tactically for LD.

Emp_Fab said:
    @Fretwired ...before you end up being asked to do the entire country! - could I ask you to do Gower please - it is the most marginal constituency in the country (as well as mine!).  We've been Labour for 90% of the past century with a couple of Liberal MPs waaay back, but only went Tory by 27 votes for first time ever in the last general election.  Ta.

Moss said:

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    Fretwired said:
    Newport West please.

Hurrah! I caught Paul Flynn ripping in to Trump on US TV, it was magnificent. I can't believe the guy is 82.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Fretwired said:
    Moss said:

Well, that's rather depressing
    Stop crying, start buying
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    Oooh, Gower really is marginal.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    My election result prediction:   Tory majority of approx 75 seats.  
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Could you go Wellingborough Castle and Pingsbury Harbour please? ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    What about Margate? Why hasn't anyone mentioned Margate?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25508
    Today's SUN....

Fuck me, what a shit rag it is.   I would be saying that if they had made May a target in a similar disgraceful manner.  Talk about trying to influence the vote by telling numb nuts retards how to vote.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    image.jpg 206.6K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Diane Abbott pranked ...

Ms Abbott was caught out by an email prankster who sent her a message purporting to be from Seumas Milne, Mr Corbyn’s director of communications. She apparently said in a response: “Do you still want to add colour to the illness story? If so maybe we should speak.” In reply to a second email from “@Sinon_Reborn”, she said: “I am not sure what colour I can add . . . I am worried about telling untruths about my health which are easily disproved”.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4578646/Diane-Abbott-fooled-Seumas-Milne-email-prankster.html?ITO=1490

Just to play devils advocate here. I've no love for Ms Abbott, but I'm disturbed by this...

Assume she really is ill for a second. Her reply to email one could merely be a sick person refusing to go along with a PR embellishment and wanting a conversation about it instead. Her second reply is possibly saying "I won't lie about the details of my illness, and it would be easy to get found out even if I agreed to it". 

What people will will remember from this is that she isn't ill and is lying. That could be true, but the selective bits of these emails don't prove anything. 

Another new low...
    Er .. that's right .. she was pranked .. not sure anyone's called her a liar, although it does suggest that's she is probably tired and worn out rather than seriously ill as she doesn't want to go along with any embellishment of her condition. She's done a lot of campaigning.

Paul Mason did worse to May on TV when he said was she was ill and not fit to be PM.
    I'm not saying she'd been called a liar, and certainly not by you, but already - on other places I frequent - there are people who've only seen the headlines from the paper, maybe done some speed reading of the key phrases without thinking it through and drawn that conclusion for themselves. Which is why the paper ran the story, I expect. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    Fretwired said:
    <big snip>

I'm not going to defend him. 

I've never believed that a bad action by one side means the other side can reciprocate and say "look at what they did, so this is OK". Playground logic, to me, that should stay there. 
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    Many thanks, Fret (though rather blows my "Lab voters voting tactically" experience out of the water...)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Emp_Fab said:
    Today's SUN....

Fuck me, what a shit rag it is.   I would be saying that if they had made May a target in a similar disgraceful manner.  Talk about trying to influence the vote by telling numb nuts retards how to vote.

Yeah, but you have to admit "We are not afraid" is a nice touch.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23150
    edited June 2017
    It's funny how this stuff goes. The Sun being all anti-Muslim and protective of Israel. I presume that's the same Israel that had a former terrorist leader as Prime Minister who did attack British targets back in the day. Different scenario, I know, but the whole terrorist versus freedom fighter cliche comes to mind. 

http://efp.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Thatcher-Begin.jpg