The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    At least leading the way at the start of the Brexit negotiations everyone else around the table will be well aware of the strong and stable position we are coming from.  This election really has cemented to the rest of the EU that Mrs May means business and won't be messed with.  The £130 million it cost the nation to go through the election was worth every penny:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    The Conservative-DUP negotiations in full:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    she won't be leader soon.
    the knives are out and sharp.
    but we are still fucked
    the nature of a tory is to be a self serving cunt.
    they truly believe they are born to be in charge and to fuck everyone else for their own benifit
    that's ridiculous
    I've met plenty of self-serving twats with no empathy who I wouldn't trust who claim to be left-wing
    and I've met plenty of caring, sharing nice people who vote tory

The kind of black and white thinking you have described should only be accepted amongst those with Borderline personality disorder, why do you want to express something in that way?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Assuming the reports on the radio are correct, who will replace Mrs. May when the party decide she is no longer good enough to lead them into the next election.  [Radio reports suggest such an election might be next year or the year after]
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    but we are still fucked
    they truly believe they are born to be in charge and to fuck everyone else for their own benifit
    that's ridiculous
    I've met plenty of self-serving twats with no empathy who I wouldn't trust who claim to be left-wing

The kind of black and white thinking you have described should only be accepted amongst those with Borderline personality disorder, why do you want to express something in that way?
    Do you know what borderline personality disorder is?
    My V key is broken
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    holnrew said:
    but we are still fucked
    that's ridiculous

Do you know what borderline personality disorder is?
    If he has been here for more than a month then he should have a pretty decent working knowledge.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25497
    Image result for boris johnson zip
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Blonde and dangly leadership. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    edited June 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Does anyone seriously think that he could be PM? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Of course he could. We live in a time period where a man poses topless on a horse whilst ruling the Soviet Union, an orange man wearing a hamster ends up in charge of America, a bloke heads France with a near-virgin political movement, and a failed woman backed by newspapers harping on about her opponent's historical terrorist sympathies forms an informal coalition government with a political group with historical terrorist connections. Anything is possible. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    JezWynd said:

Unfortunately, yes. Even worse, it might *not* be him...

Can you think of anyone else in the Tory party with even the slightest basic competence and credibility, at least equivalent to not having screwed up being Mayor of London too badly - and who isn't too old, or too unpopular with large sections of the party?

It's really quite unbelievable that a party which has been in power for seven years has almost no credible leadership candidates, but it seems to be the case.

On the other hand neither did Labour until someone put Corbyn's name into the hat for a bit of variety...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Anyone who takes over the Tory leadership will be in a worse position than May was before the election.
    They will not have a mandate, they will be seen as weak and lacking in authority and they will require to doff their hat to the DUP.

Another election will be inevitable and then I think Corbyn will win.

I actually hope Boris tries to go for it- I'd like to see the pompous jackass have his ass handed to him in the next GE.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2659
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    Far too many people smell blood now, from her opponents in her own party to the press, to everyone on the opposite benches.  She is like a wounded elk being surrounded by thousands of wolves.  If she is still PM by the end of the summer, I'll write a strongly-worded letter to the Times.
    Thats the same feeling I got about Corbyn when he pushed to step down as leader, look at him now.

I reckon she will stay in post for Brexit negotiations, once that has passed/failed there will be another GE

I don't think there are many politicians that really want the responsibility of Brexit on their shoulders, I think when she stepped forward the others all had a sigh of relief, no wonder JC is so happy now, he has a strong opposition to make the Tory's look bad.

If they really want to serve the people I would suggest they put party politics aside for two years and have a labour-tory coalition to go through the Brexit process together ...... May and JC hand in hand :3

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    JezWynd said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    No - a piss-up in a brewery would challenge him. A vacuous, snake of a human being....
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    octatonic said:
    capo4th said:
    equalsql said:
    capo4th said:
    What a crock! You send your kids to a private school and you bleet on here about having to pay levels of tax that are considerably more than most people earn as a main income. By anyone's measure you are wealthy, the fact that you think you're not shows just how deluded you are. Your posting on here indicates a level of arrogance and selfishness that is remarkable. I certainly dont believe you have the slightest concept of how real poverty effects people, its just 'me me me'.

What's your point?    

I own a house with a large mortgage does that make me wealthy?
    I don't have huge savings accounts or large investments.
    I pay my bills and choose to send my son to a good school which clears out most of my income.
    I contribute to numerous charities and give back to my local community and understand what it is to be poor having been there.

I did consider Labours planned tax increases to be unfair. They would have had a big impact on my family which is why I voted Conservative.
    So you put your personal financial affairs over the welfare of those less fortunate than you?
    That isn't a crime but it is precisely what people criticise Conservative voters for.

I reckon we would have been £20k a year worse off under a Labour government but we aren't struggling and can afford it.
    Without wishing to get accused of virtue signalling the reason why is because it IS only money and the Tory hard-Brexit/cut public services agenda just seemed morally wrong.
    Everyone's circumstances are different. Unfortunately I will put my family and financial affairs first.

If a Labour government being elected in 2017 was going to cost you and your family an additional £20000 a year then hats off and congrats to you for being in the elite and super rich.

Your moral compass is pointing in the right direction and you are in a position to absorb those additional £20000 bills under Jeremy Corbyns Labour governemnt.

I am am not in that position of luxury so I voted Tory. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25497
    I am a believer of all the horseshit spouted by the right, so I voted Tory. 
    FTFY.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30130
    If there is another election within a year or two, can we vote no confidence in the government and make them pay for it from their own pockets? With May going into indentured servitude to foot the bulk of it?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    The actual problem isn't tax: it's how private school fees have escalated so rapidly. The 2014 Killik Private Education Index pointed out how the professional classes in 1990 could afford to privately educate their offspring but couldn't do so in 2014. 

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    but we are still fucked
    that's ridiculous

your correct about people being selfish in all walks of lifr.
    with the toties its a doctrin.
    as for personality disorder
    i'm not borderline
    definately unhinged