The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25497
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    We wouldn't be in this bloody mess if it wasn't for the pig-fucker. 
    Any evidence this happened?
    None at all.  But everyone knows to whom I'm referring.  I'll slap an "alleged" in front if you prefer.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30130
    octatonic said:

So you put your personal financial affairs over the welfare of those less fortunate than you?
    That isn't a crime but it is precisely what people criticise Conservative voters for.
    Though one could, of course, accuse anyone earning under £80k who voted Labour of putting their financial affairs over the welfare of those more fortunate than themselves.

I don't think it's a useful argument in either direction.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

So you put your personal financial affairs over the welfare of those less fortunate than you?
    That isn't a crime but it is precisely what people criticise Conservative voters for.
    Though one could, of course, accuse anyone earning under £80k who voted Labour of putting their financial affairs over the welfare of those more fortunate than themselves.

Under Labour people earning under £80k won't get a tax reduction, they just won't get a tax rise like people in the top X percent will. (X= 5?, 10?)
    There is an indirect benefit in funding the NHS/Police/other public services but that isn't cash in your pocket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    John_P said:
    If RD did form a breakaway party would that include any Westminster Scottish MP's?     Is that enough to take away the majority they gain from a deal with the DUP? 
    nah, shes only interested in Ermine robes and all that brings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3265
    ICBM said:

She is without doubt the worst Prime Minister in living memory and she deserves to be put in the dustbin of history as quickly as possible. And that's saying something given the previous two.
    This is the woman that reduced the terror threat from Critcal (attack imminent) to Severe (Attack likely) days before an imminent attack happened.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    octatonic said:
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:

Under Labour people earning under £80k won't get a tax reduction, they just won't get a tax rise like people in the top X percent will. (X= 5?, 10?)
    There is an indirect benefit in funding the NHS/Police/other public services but that isn't cash in your pocket.
    Erm... how about "putting their welfare over the financial affairs of those more fortunate than themselves" then?

I dunno. I'm very tired today. I should probably just have a nap. :)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:

She is without doubt the worst Prime Minister in living memory and she deserves to be put in the dustbin of history as quickly as possible. And that's saying something given the previous two.
    This is the woman that reduced the terror threat from Critcal (attack imminent) to Severe (Attack likely) days before an imminent attack happened.
    No, that analysis is carried out by an independent committee. So she can't add that particular call to her list of poor judgements :)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Bidley said:
    She has no mandate for that and is barely clinging on to her job. Head in the sand. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Bidley said:
    She has no mandate for that and is barely clinging on to her job. Head in the sand. 
    She will no doubt try to label anyone who disagrees with her as a "terrorist sympathiser".

JezWynd said:
    I've been impressed by May's husband standing by her, literally, over the past couple of days. She must be feeling pretty shitty at the moment with everyone piling on her, must be nice to know that you've got at least one person in your corner.
    You don't suppose that him being right behind her back all the time is just her using him as a human shield?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3265
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:

No, that analysis is carried out by an independent committee. So she can't add that particular call to her list of poor judgements :)
    Still directly accountable to PM via JIT though. She made the announcement, it was her call. Buck stops there as far as I'm concerned. Prime Minister is the one individual ultimately responsible, and accountable, for the UK’s safety.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:

Wrong. The level is set by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre and the Security Service (MI5). Nothing to do with the PM.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    Fretwired said:
    blobb said:
    ICBM said:

Wrong. The level is set by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre and the Security Service (MI5). Nothing to do with the PM.
    That's reassuring, then...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25497
    Far too many people smell blood now, from her opponents in her own party to the press, to everyone on the opposite benches.  She is like a wounded elk being surrounded by thousands of wolves.  If she is still PM by the end of the summer, I'll write a strongly-worded letter to the Times.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40220397

Please keep them in Westminster.  

Emma Little-Pengelly bounced back from losing her Northern Ireland Assembly seat in South Belfast in March, by winning the constituency's Westminster seat in June, defeating the SDLP's Alasdair McDonnell.

It marks a rapid rise for Mrs Little-Pengelly, who first stood for election for the DUP in the 2015 assembly election.
    She is married to Richard Pengelly, who is a top civil servant in the Department of Health in Northern Ireland.

During the campaign, she received the endorsement of the three biggest loyalist paramilitary organisations.
    Although the DUP said it did not accept their support, in her acceptance speech, Mrs Little-Pengelly thanked those who came out to vote for her, singling out several loyalist working class areas such as Taughmonagh and Donegall Pass. 

Her father Noel Little was one of three men arrested in Paris in April 1989, along with a South African diplomat and an arms dealer.

Little was given a suspended sentence and fined for his part in a loyalist intelligence plot.
    Mrs Little-Pengelly has said she has "unconditional" love for her father and that "just because someone may have a past should not mean you cannot have a future".

Nigel Dodds is the deputy leader of the DUP and its leader at Westminster. He has been North Belfast MP since 2001, taking the seat from Ulster Unionist Cecil Walker.

In 2015, Mr Dodds who studied law at Cambridge University, ruled himself out of the race to succeed former party leader Peter Robinson.

In 1996, a police officer guarding Mr Dodds while he visited his critically ill son in hospital, was shot and injured by the IRA.

A former Belfast lord mayor, Mr Dodds' wife Diane is one of Northern Ireland's three MEPs.

Like the majority of the DUP's parliamentary party, Mr Dodds is a member of the Orange Order.

The order is a Protestant cultural and religious organisation which has attracted controversy because of parades it has held through or near some Catholic areas.

In 2013, Mr Dodds was expelled from the Commons chamber after accusing the Northern Ireland Secretary, Theresa Villiers, of "deliberate deception".

He claimed she had been deceptive when answering questions about her powers in respect of a controversial Orange parade ruling.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2830
    This is after a FS amp thread I once did.  It made me chuckle though:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-book-of-jeremy-corbyn

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    capo4th said:
    capo4th said:
    Reign it in pal go and find my post at no point did I say I had "loads" of PMs.

Stop spouting from your rectum. Labour lost the election Jeremy is not PM don't be angry.

The Conservative party got the most votes ever people wanted Theresa May to be PM.

The point I was making was that many people will not admit to being a Tory supporter and supporting the Conservatives where as Labour will sing it from the roof tops.
    This forum is predominantly Labour supporters. I enjoyed backing the Tory cause. There were very few people publicly supporting a Tory government on this forum. It's full of musicians and to be expected.

You have clearly been wound up by my support for a Tory government.
    Get over it Corbyn failed. I hope he stays on as Labour Leader. He is unelectable as PM.

Life goes on I am going to cut the grass load the fridges and have a BBQ to celebrate a Tory win.
    Let's go through this sentence by sentence. 

1. The only way you'd know if there were "loads of secret Tory voters" as you said was if they'd PM'd you. 

2. "Most votes ever" - They scored 13,667,213 votes on Thursday. Thatcher in 1979 had 13,697,923. 

3. Plenty of areas where being a Conservative supporter is open. I grew up in one. 

4. No it isn't. It's generally very mixed but the myopic nature of your analysis wouldn't see that. 

5. I doubt he has been wound up. 

6. As is your right. Enjoy. 

Thanks for posting at me again I appreciate your knowledge.

Being a conservative supporter on here was not open and / or tolerated.

This forum is predominantly people who have been heavily critical of Labour since the forum opened, myself included. When it came to this election, a lot of us went with what we saw to be the best option. Simple as that. 

I did not answer in full due to having to go out to work but the "most votes ever" thing was utter nonsense. The highest number of popular votes received by one party was 1992 with the Major-led Conservatives receiving 14,093,007 votes. This replaced the previous high of 13,948,385 votes for Attlee's Labour in October 1951. 

There are people way more Conservative than you are who have no problems in debates. Perhaps it isn't your politics that is the problem. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

This forum is predominantly people who have been heavily critical of Labour since the forum opened, myself included.

I think we're critical of pretty much everyone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Sporky said:
    I'm never critical of anyone. It's the rest of you dick heads. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Sporky said:

This forum is predominantly people who have been heavily critical of Labour since the forum opened, myself included.

In the Milliband years, you had both right and left agreeing on the poor nature of Labour. The collective hangover from Blair and Iraq permeated through the party, it had no energy, strength, or focus. Coupled with the collapse of the Liberal Democrats, there was plenty to criticise. I know for me personally I've spent far more time criticising the left wing parties on here than the Conservatives. 

Things got a bit odd when I actually found myself defending David Cameron when he quit. Yes, he was useless at several moments of his career but he didn't blow a majority and rejuvenate the opposition within 11 months of entering Downing Street.