Any Duesenberg love on here ?

What's Hot
BGGBGG Frets: 698
I've got GAS for a Duesenberg Starplayer TV at the moment, love the look, loving the video clips I've seen but not heard one in the flesh.
Seem to be very marmite and get knocked for the Korean connection ?

Any owners on here ?

Cheers ...
#thebatesmotelband
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    My Oxford dictionary says 'marmite' means hypocritical? Yes, I am German. :-)  Well, have you checked Wikipedia for Duesenberg? I think the production sites, as far as countries are concerned, are not kept particularly secret. I do not follow news on that company, though. I just checked what the article of the English Wikipedia says. In Germany, Dieter Gölsdorf and his companies Göldo, Rockinger, and Duesenberg have a good reputation amongst guitar players, I would say. I own a Diego Telecaster - Diego (DIEter GOelsdorf) was a brand of Göldo. Very decent guitar. There is no mentioning as to where it was made on the guitar (I bought it new in around 2004/05 from Real Guitars in the city of Leverkusen, online). I never assumed that the parts were produced in Germany, as companies tend to letting you know, if that is the case. Duesenberg guitars - I do like them. I checked out one of the solid body ones very briefly, but that was light years ago. Cheers!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    I've played a few as a friend of mine is a guitar collector and has 3 or 4 of them. Howard from Oasis Music in Ringwood is a top bloke and the importer for them

On the ones I played the fit and finish is top notch, everything is very precise and accurate. Every piece of hardware has something in 3's. Tuning stability on the trems is good, I used the arm a lot on the one I played at a Shadows gig and it's tuning was very stable

Soundwise they are all different depending on what model you get. Pickup config on 3 singles is different to Fender layout. Basically they do things their own way. 

Case candy included plasters in case you play it so much your fingers bleed :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    I have played a few of them and found them to be really very nice and very comfortable.
    I really dont get this aversion to guitars made in Korea ,Indonesia,China etc ......
    The factories are state of the art ......unlike some ageing American factories and the methods are scientific.If you needed a pacemaker the chances are that it would be made in Far East ,never mind a guitar.Our top TVs are made in Korea and Malaysia or Indonesia and cars such as Kia etc are outselling and outlasting anything that ever came out of UK or USA .
       Duesenberg are scrutineered and engineered by Germans using a Far East manufacture - perfect combination.
    These preconceived ideas are 40 years out of date but the legacy of 1960s and 1970s catalogue guitars lives on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    I've played a few, loved them all. The Caribou is a killer guitar, is pick one over a Gretsch Jet. 

Recently played the Paloma.  Damn fine guitar.  

I'm gassing for one.  If I land the job I'm working on, it's first on the wish list. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    A lot of exposure owing to all the politics, but I've found myself being drawn to Laura Kuenssberg recently.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    They used to make nice cars:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited June 2017
    The reason they get criticised, is that for an essentially Far Eastern made guitar - which was obfuscated spectacularly on their website - they're an awful lot of money.

There are lots of other 'retro' brands at much lower prices.

As ever - value is in the eye and ear of the beholder. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1567
    Owned a Starplayer TV, the Mike Campbell model once, loved the look, the sound, the trem...hated the feel of the thing from the neck profile to the thick poly finish. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Sassafras said:
    They used to make nice cars:

That's a bit more than a nice car.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
    The reason they get criticised, is that for an essentially Far Eastern made guitar - which was obfuscated spectacularly on their website - they're an awful lot of money.

There are lots of other 'retro' brands at much lower prices.

As ever - value is in the eye and ear of they beholder. 
    I agree.
    i don't care where a guitar is made as long as the company and dealers are honest about it. For that reason I wouldn't touch a duesenberg.

Any reverend guitar I've played as been as good if not better and a lot cheaper.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6233
    thebreeze said:
    A lot of exposure owing to all the politics, but I've found myself being drawn to Laura Kuenssberg recently.
    Keh?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    I had a vintage white Starplayer TV back in approx 2007, inspired by how cool the the guy from the Kooks' one looked at Glastonbury. Looked spectacular, but I never really bonded with it. Lacked a bit of soul and i didn't like the neck profile or the big frets. I'm much happier with my Jap Tokai 335-style. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Owned a Starplayer TV, the Mike Campbell model once, loved the look, the sound, the trem...hated the feel of the thing from the neck profile to the thick poly finish. 
    Owned a Carl Carlton and just never bonded with it.  Too stiff, heavy, clunky.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Have a hankering for a StarplayerTV, played one in Andertons and liked the 60s neck profile
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    I too find their marketing strange to the point of defensively paranoid...

But one of my favourite British bands 5 years ago was Cherry Ghost and their guitarist Jim Rhodes made a Starplayer TV sound pretty perfect to me. The final time I saw them though he mainly played an old Greco 335 copy instead of the Duesy I was used to hearing, so all GAS was cured at that point.  
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I love the sound of mine
    the neck is a bit uncomfortable for me but I'm big and like larger necks
    a great guitar
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    I have a Starplayer TV Outlaw which I pretty much bought new on looks alone (and got it for an incredible price thanks to a stroke of luck). 

Impeccable build quality, but for a good while I felt it lacked something. The more I've played it the more that feeling has gone away. It really just needed playing in. The neck's a bit big for me, but I like them skinny.

I also didn't much like the mid-position which IIRC was an out-of-phase situation. I got that reversed and had a coil tap put on the bridge, which has made it much more versatile too.

I do think the new prices are steep.  

• BGGBGG Frets: 698
    There's a used one for sale locally, looks mint condition and a good price.

#thebatesmotelband
  • BGGBGG Frets: 698
    I forgot to mention I did play a Joe Walsh model and loved the trem, and it played and sounded great just the body was a bit small for me, I'm 22 stone LOL
    #thebatesmotelband
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    One of my good friends has an endorsement deal with them and got his snakeskin covered Duesenburg delivered yesterday. Looks superb. I can't wait to have a go this weekend.

In 2002 I had one for a while and thought it was great! They were not that expensive at the time, I think £700 new (maybe). Admittedly I bought it from music ground so it could have been an epi
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom