Any Duesenberg love on here ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    They might be made in the Far-East but remember, the strings are put on in their German factory in the way that only the technologically efficient Germanic know-how can manage. That's got to be worth an extra thousand quid of anyone's money.
    Every Duesenberg I've seen has had the tidiest string windings ever. That's why the tuning is so stable.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
    edited June 2017
    dazzajl said:
    If it makes you feel at all better @hotpickups it doesn't play at all like a Gibson. 
    In what way @dazzajl ? Neck or what? I'm still interested 'cos I don't want it to sound like a Les Paul/Gibson as I have one already. However, I have been looking at getting a single coil guitar but never really got on with Fender Strats Hate the look of a Tele but haven't really tried any of the other Fender range
    Well there's a good question. 

The scale length is going to be a large part of the different feel of course but beyond that it's down to the ethos of the design and construction I suppose. I'd liken a good LP to something that's crafted in a traditional method and you can feel that old school vibe of a woodworkers craft when you hold it. The Doooozy is far more engineered than crafted. It feels like a precision tool designed for tone, sustain and feel. Personally that doesn't make it feel sterile to me and I think it has a valid sound all of it own but I can see why these and PRS guitars turn some people off. Oddly, while I do like the Ds I'm not a fan of PRS. 

The comments about buy a Reverend as they're made in the same factory and a third of the cost seem totally ridiculous to me. I like Reverend guitars and while I think they can be very hit or miss, a good one is great. They are not, however, even close to the quality of a Doooozy. It's all a bit like saying my cheese on toast should be worth the same as fillet steak and all the trimmings if I've made them in the same kitchen. Time, care and ingredients count for an awful lot and you can't compare just on geography. 

And thats not any kind of snobbery. I took a sub £200 Chinese Ibanez to play with the band last night and it felt and sounded wonderful. Sometimes cheese on toast is the best thing in the world. 

Did I read you're around the Bath part of the world? I'm Swindon/Marly way and you're very welcome to come play with the Doooozy and see what you think for yourself. I'll absolutely not be in be least offended if you agree they're just overpriced Korean tat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    If it makes you feel at all better @hotpickups it doesn't play at all like a Gibson. 
    In what way @dazzajl ? Neck or what? I'm still interested 'cos I don't want it to sound like a Les Paul/Gibson as I have one already. However, I have been looking at getting a single coil guitar but never really got on with Fender Strats :( Hate the look of a Tele but haven't really tried any of the other Fender range :)
    Well there's a good question. 

The scale length is going to be a large part of the different feel of course but beyond that it's down to the ethos of the design and construction I suppose. I'd liken a good LP to something that's crafted in a traditional method and you can feel that old school vibe of a woodworkers craft when you hold it. The Doooozy is far more engineered than crafted. It feels like a precision tool designed for tone, sustain and feel. Personally that doesn't make it feel sterile to me and I think it has a valid sound all of it own but I can see why these and PRS guitars turn some people off. Oddly, while I do like the Ds I'm not a fan of PRS. 

The comments about buy a Reverend as they're made in the same factory and a third of the cost seem totally ridiculous to me. I like Reverend guitars and while I think they can be very hit or miss, a good one is great. They are not, however, even close to the quality of a Doooozy. It's all a bit like saying my cheese on toast should be worth the same as fillet steak and all the trimmings if I've made them in the same kitchen. Time, care and ingredients count for an awful lot and you can't compare just on geography. 

And thats not any kind of snobbery. I took a sub £200 Chinese Ibanez to play with the band last night and it felt and sounded wonderful. Sometimes cheese on toast is the best thing in the world. 

Did I read you're around Bath part of the world? I'm Swindon/Marly way and you're very welcome to come play with the Doooozy and see what you think for yourself. I'll absolutely not be in be least offended if you agree they're just overpriced Korean tat ;)
    That's very kind of you @dazzajl . Which doozy did you say you have again?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A Caribou. Which I can say feels exactly the same as the Paloma neck wise and very similar in weight and balance. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    I've played a lot of Reverends. They vary a hell of a lot, in weight and feel.  I absolutely loved my Reverend PA-1, but the others were not so satisfying. 

Reverends tend to have a beefier neck, which i like very much, but the Duesenbergs I've played are generally far superior quality.  They have necks with more of a Fender C like profile, but despite the slim neck the quality shines through.  

They are expensive, but they're consistently great guitars.  You have to play a lot of Reverends to find one half as good as a Duesy. 
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    I have respect for how Godin handle(d?) the 'Made In'-topic. They put something like 'Made in Canada from parts made in the U.S.) on the head-stock of the guitars of some of their models. Probably something similar would suit Duesenberg very well. And I do think, if their instruments were 'Made In Germany', then they would proudly put that statement everywhere - especially these days. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 698
    edited June 2017
    Picked up a used Outlaw from eBay, looking forward to getting it.
    Ordered it between visits to my poorly mother yesterday who sadly passed away last night.
    Not one for naming guitars but this one shall be called Gina in her honour and I'll be getting the plate engraved with her name.
    Thanks for all the input guys, full report when she arrives.

#thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3450
    Sorry to hear about your mother, @BGG ;
    edited June 2017
    BGG said:
    Picked up a used Outlaw from eBay, looking forward to getting it.
    Ordered it between visits to my poorly mother yesterday who sadly passed away last night.
    Not one for naming guitars but this one shall be called Gina in her honour and I'll be getting the plate engraved with her name.
    Thanks for all the input guys, full report when she arrives.

Ooooh blimey that looks really cool. Sorry to hear about your mum but her memory will live on with you having that I feel 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    My two Reverends are more than half as good as my Starplayer TV. Maybe as much as 73%.

Thank you @hotpickups and @Moe_Zambeek ;
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    I've just come back from my mate who's the collector and owner of these 3 beauties. In honour of this thread I thought I would try all 3 out again. 
    As I said earlier the finish and attention to detail is superb but what amazes me is how low but completely buzz free the actions are and how even every single note is across the fretboard. The natural sustain through a clean JMI AC30 is amazing too, very Les Paul like but more off a bell note

For comparison after playing all 3 Duesenbergs I played 3 different Fender Custom shop Strats (my mate is a serious collector) and the Duesengergs came out on top in terms of preciseness and setup in terms of action, evenness of tone across the board. Now I still prefer a Strat myself but the Duesenbergs are as well made as any USA guitar as far as I can tell. These are the best setup guitars I have ever played, the action is incredibly low, the lowest of any guitar I have seen and I like a very low action. 

Howard from Oasis Music is the importer 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    I've just come back from my mate who's the collector and owner of these 3 beauties. In honour of this thread I thought I would try all 3 out again. 
    As I said earlier the finish and attention to detail is superb but what amazes me is how low but completely buzz free the actions are and how even every single note is across the fretboard. The natural sustain through a clean JMI AC30 is amazing too, very Les Paul like but more off a bell note

For comparison after playing all 3 Duesenbergs I played 3 different Fender Custom shop Strats (my mate is a serious collector) and the Duesengergs came out on top in terms of preciseness and setup in terms of action, evenness of tone across the board. Now I still prefer a Strat myself but the Duesenbergs are as well made as any USA guitar as far as I can tell. These are the best setup guitars I have ever played, the action is incredibly low, the lowest of any guitar I have seen and I like a very low action. 

That Paloma @Danny1969 is awesome looking. Definitely would like the mirrored pick guard but alas they don't do them anymore with them on i.e. black only. Kind of a cross between a stray and an Albert Lee Music Man guitar. I love one of those too but even dearer :(
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    Danny1969 said:

That Paloma @Danny1969 is awesome looking. Definitely would like the mirrored pick guard but alas they don't do them anymore with them on i.e. black only. Kind of a cross between a stray and an Albert Lee Music Man guitar. I love one of those too but even dearer :(
    If you ask them nicely like my mate did they will send you the mirrored pick guard. It was free of charge too !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

If you ask them nicely like my mate did they will send you the mirrored pick guard. It was free of charge too !
    Oh blimey you've got me gassing now. I've gotta try one soon. It seems to be ticking all my boxes so far albeit the Korean hanger over and also so damn expensive. I need to buy used :(

You certainly don't see them come up for sale on the used market very often it seems. Looks like they're keepers when you get one :)
    Unless @TheMarlin knows you have one then it's actually quite tough to hold onto ;)
    dazzajl said:
    Unless @TheMarlin knows you have one then it's actually quite tough to hold onto ;)
    I can see why. After much research and demos I've seen I'm quite taken with them. Looks, design and sound. Damn this forum I'm potentially going to be £1600 lighter soon :(
    dazzajl said:
    I can see why. After much research and demos I've seen I'm quite taken with them. Looks, design and sound. Damn this forum I'm potentially going to be £1600 lighter soon :(
    No, get a used one for around £1200 ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
    BGG said:
    dazzajl said:
    No, get a used one for around £1200 ;)
    I've never seen one come up tbh @BGG ;and the paloma which is the only one I'd be interested in is still a fairly new model