Any Duesenberg love on here ?

What's Hot

Comments

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    i had a very early Carl Carlton signature model that came to me via Robbie Macintosh - a fine guitar indeed
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited June 2017
    Damn you guys you've got me looking at these now I can't afford any of them Particularly like the Paloma (in red ) Mixture of a Gibson and a Fender imo which is nice being primarily a Les Paul player

https://www.duesenberg.de/en/guitars/paloma
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
    If it makes you feel at all better @hotpickups it doesn't play at all like a Gibson. 
    dazzajl said:
    If it makes you feel at all better @hotpickups it doesn't play at all like a Gibson. 
    In what way @dazzajl ? Neck or what? I'm still interested 'cos I don't want it to sound like a Les Paul/Gibson as I have one already. However, I have been looking at getting a single coil guitar but never really got on with Fender Strats :( Hate the look of a Tele but haven't really tried any of the other Fender range :)
    While I'm here does anyone know if the pickups on the Paloma for example can be changed to other types or do Duesenberg route the guitar to only fit its' own pickups etc
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    I love the look of the Starplayer TV but it's way out of my price range. As an alternative I'd get a Peerless Retromatic P3 and put a Bigsby on it for less than half the cost.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    I'm not a cork sniffer by any means of the imagination so I'd just like to know what makes these guitars do different from other guitars with humbucker pickups. Apart from they look really cool :)
    The company (i.e. Göldo) holds a couple of patents. Not all of them are applied or related to Duesenberg guitars, but at least the one concerning a 'Bigsby'-variant is. Thats about all I know. Oh, and they say, the way in which they set the neck is a little different to other manufacturers of electric guitars...
    artinski said:
    I'm not a cork sniffer by any means of the imagination so I'd just like to know what makes these guitars do different from other guitars with humbucker pickups. Apart from they look really cool :)
    The company (i.e. Göldo) holds a couple of patents. Not all of them are applied or related to Duesenberg guitars, but at least the one concerning a 'Bigsby'-variant is. Thats about all I know. Oh, and they say, the way in which they set the neck is a little different to other manufacturers of electric guitars...
    I've also been reading that the made in Korea statement was a mis print in a magazine and people having resurfacing it for the past 8 years or so. Just shows you the power of print and the internet don't it :( It's 100% made in Germany...... apparently. Still damn pricey though. Used market for me I'm afraid but I will hopefully get to Andertons to try one out in the meantime :)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Here (below) is your cut-price Duesenberg Starplayer substitute. Been eyeing this up for weeks but I just can't do it.

Made in the same factory too, by all accounts. And the Rev has the bass contour control, which on its own is a reason to buy one.

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/reverend-rick-vito-classic-electric-guitar-metallic-red-ex-display-no-box.html?source=shopping&sku=bstrvdricr&gclid=CKOl4oKj4dQCFU617QodfygGLA

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    Tried a Starplayer TV in Glasgow one time, on offer at a very attractive discount - in fact their asking price wasn't too much above what it might have fetched used, so it was tempting.  I thought it seemed beautifully finished (better than most Gibsons) felt great to play, the trem was wonderful and it sounded good too. 

Only downsides for me were personal preferences: I like big frets and although the frets are described as jumbo I'd say they're more accurately medium jumbo and I would probably have ended up having it refretted if I'd bought it; and I prefer Gibson scale to Fender and I thought the 25.6" scale length would eventually start to bug me.   If not for those issues I'm sure I'd have snapped it up.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
    artinski said:
    I'm not a cork sniffer by any means of the imagination so I'd just like to know what makes these guitars do different from other guitars with humbucker pickups. Apart from they look really cool
    I've also been reading that the made in Korea statement was a mis print in a magazine and people having resurfacing it for the past 8 years or so. Just shows you the power of print and the internet don't it It's 100% made in Germany...... apparently. Still damn pricey though. Used market for me I'm afraid but I will hopefully get to Andertons to try one out in the meantime

THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT BUYERS TO BELIEVE WHEN THIER PAYER THEIR HIGH PRICES. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3450

I've also been reading that the made in Korea statement was a mis print in a magazine and people having resurfacing it for the past 8 years or so. Just shows you the power of print and the internet don't it It's 100% made in Germany...... apparently. Still damn pricey though. Used market for me I'm afraid but I will hopefully get to Andertons to try one out in the meantime
    I don't believe that for a second. These are made in Korea - certainly in woodworking terms. The fact they refuse to be 100% clear on this is another reason I'd not buy one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    hotpickups said:
    I don't believe that for a second. These are made in Korea - certainly in woodworking terms. The fact they refuse to be 100% clear on this is another reason I'd not buy one.
    They used to list the countries their parts were manufactured in on their website. It seems to have disappeared now. Korea was one of the countries listed - they said something to the effect that the guitars were assembled in Germany.

None of which I have a problem with - except that they are not up front about it.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 863
    I had one, I kind of miss it.
    Great trem, like having a Bigsby that works. I thought it sounded amazing, great pickups.
    But it was very stiff to play, didn't like the neck, thick finish and I have no doubt the wood work was done in Korea. My guitar tech said the truss rod opening was a tell tale sign of Korean manufacturing with the square opening, not sure how true that is.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I have a single pickup Star bass from around 2004/5 which is very nice. Great neck, very versatile sounds although the short scale semi-hollow build makes it a bit short on sustain. It took me a while to bond with it but now I find I'm using it quite a bit.

I didn't know muich about them and got this as a bit of a 'for services rendered' sort of thing (no, not those sorts of services before you ask). Colour-wise it looked a bit like my old far-eastern Hofner Macca knock-off so I was stunned when I discovered how much they actually cost. 

i once saw a mod/psych band playing in France and the guitarist had one of those Rickenbacker-inspired ones - The Double Cat? or was that a 12-string? Anyway it looked pretty good and sounded great. 

But I don't think, based on price alone, that Duesenberg would be my first choice for a new guitar, sadly.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3859
    edited July 2017
    Got myself a D-Caster a while back and it's lovely to look at, feels great and sounds terrific. My band have insisted I don't sell it.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    What I glean from this thread is that they're worth buying for the trem alone.
    Bit of an expensive wang-bar though.
    Shame cos they sound and look great guitars but I couldn't invest in a company with such bad press. Only the used market for me now
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    I have it on very good authority that they are made in Korea by Mirr Music, along with Italia and Reverend guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11133
    tFB Trader
    The reason they get criticised, is that for an essentially Far Eastern made guitar - which was obfuscated spectacularly on their website - they're an awful lot of money.

There are lots of other 'retro' brands at much lower prices.

As ever - value is in the eye and ear of they beholder. 
    I agree.
    i don't care where a guitar is made as long as the company and dealers are honest about it. For that reason I wouldn't touch a duesenberg.

Any reverend guitar I've played as been as good if not better and a lot cheaper.

Exactly that ... if they are not ashamed of Far East production (and why should they be?) Then make it clear. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message