Behold my massive board of pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Great board do you not have a lot of overlap ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    I always believe if you have to have a noise gate then your pedal board is all wrong. Seriously.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    I always believe if you have to have a noise gate then your pedal board is all wrong. Seriously.

Wisdom. It's a sticking plaster for some other issue that should be looked at.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited September 2014
    I am thinking about dropping the overlap (fuzz &OD) and use the space for a volume pedal. I bought the decimator on Labor Day on a silly deal so it might not make it not he board! Will be the last thing to go on it, if it needs be. If it doesn't then I'll sell it. Not really a problem.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Gassage said:

Say the people who don't use lots of gain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Gassage said:

Crap. I have a Pete Cornish P1 cranked into a Pete Cornish CC1. Not even a hint of noise that I don't want.

• Bidley said:
    Gassage said:

Ah, true. I was thinking more about other noises and hiss that people mask.
    Gassage said:
    Bidley said:
    Gassage said:

Crap. I have a Pete Cornish P1 cranked into a Pete Cornish CC1. Not even a hint of noise that I don't want.

So you use a fair bit of amp gain too, right?
    I have a Hiwatt- it won't really make much difference how high I crank it, I'd still never need a noise gate. Sticking plaster, as noted above.

• But sticking plaster is considerably cheaper than reconstructive surgery, isn't it.

Not everybody has unlimited funds.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    I have a Hiwatt- it won't really make much difference how high I crank it, I'd still never need a noise gate. Sticking plaster, as noted above.
    So you never have issues with feedback when you're boosting your gain channel? Not a hint of hiss or buzz? You must be some zen master. You must show us mere mortals what's wrong with our inferior rigs some day.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    It is a single channel amp.

And nope, I don't. Not a hint.

The answers are Pete Cornish buffers, great cables, great power supplies.

And feedback is a completely different thing to hiss and buzz. Totally different

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • People don't just use noise gates for cutting feedback and noise, a lot of guys use them for keeping riffs mega tight and choppy, it's a sound that no amount of good technique can replicate. I really enjoy playing with a couple of ns2's to tightly clamp the chugs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I think based on the contents of that pedalboard the Decimator is not needed unless Raymond is planning on playing Djent and I suspect he isn't.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • new pedals are in and all rebuilt...

chain is: tuner > volume > comp > way > phaser > delay > reverb > fuzz > distortion
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;363418" said:
    Bidley said:

not_the_dj said:

Gassage said:

If you want to sound like dimebag, you need a gate.

But I agree - if you're not using the gate as a useful effect, you have a problem. I don't need one and use enough gain to get well into hard rock, classic metal and djent, but for djenty riffing and tapped riffs a gate is genuinely really a useful thing - and not just for noise.
  • Woops, @timmysoft beat me to it.

They do have a use. If you're using a 5150 and want to play modern metal, you need one and it's definitely not to reduce noise. Even the pick attack sounds different.

You often use both a compressor and an overdrive when playing djent, too, so the fact it does reduce noise is handy anyway. It also reduces feedback, which is something you don't want at all when playing a 15/8 stop start riff.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I don't really know what djent is....I'll head to google/youtube for a musical education...
  • not_the_dj;366717" said:
    I don't really know what djent is....I'll head to google/youtube for a musical education...
    If you YouTube make total destroy by periphery, you'll have a good idea.

It's a really fat, high gain sound that has a compressor on for the attack of the note, then a gate so you can mute silent between each note.

I like it - periphery are a great band, but I wouldn't obsess over the tone. I am more impressed by the imaginative riffs, but part of playing them is a gated tone.