Feedback

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2014
    There is a sub-text to my post above: with the guitar show looming in a few weeks, it is good PR to show as much activity as possible on each post, this issue may hurt that perception.

Not sure if this has been registered, so I'll put in a small callout to @digitalscream and @monquixote, you may be onto it already, if so I apologise.

Cheers guys, and the hard work last night is much appreciated, the page loading speed is running *perfectly* now - thanks   :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey guys, is the views counter on some discussions broken ?
    Several have multiple replies, but only one view.
    (or are we being accessed from beyond the afterlife, in which case we have a real story to tell at the guitar show)
    Yes, it's an issue we're working on. It seems to have started last night at optimisation time, but we can't figure out what's done it.
    <space for hire>
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    My posts aren't responding to the 'enter' key, when I want to leave a line and begin a new paragraph. Anybody else have this problem? It's coming up strange when I try and quote too, all block quote words instead of just the text.
    Use Your Brian
  • I just posted a "wanted" post in the guitars section, and was told it would be posted once it had been approved by moderators.

Is this a general new rule ?

Is this something I have done as I have excellent reputation within the classifieds section.

Could someone please clarify.

thanks

I also can't start a new thread in the "meta" or "chat" area ???
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    darcym said:
    I just posted a "wanted" post in the guitars section, and was told it would be posted once it had been approved by moderators.

Is this a general new rule ?

Is this something I have done as I have excellent reputation within the classifieds section.

Could someone please clarify.

thanks

I also can't start a new thread in the "meta" or "chat" area ???
    Hey Matthew :)

You probably weren't a "verified" member yet.
    I can't see you in the possible spam queue so you should be ok now. ;)
  • I "should" be a verified member, I've been verified for a long time and used the classifieds forum a few times with sucess.

Most post isn't on the forum so it must be in some sort of moderation queue.

Not sure on the other stuff too, why I can't start a new post in the offtopic / meta section
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27859
    darcym said:
    I "should" be a verified member, I've been verified for a long time and used the classifieds forum a few times with sucess.

Most post isn't on the forum so it must be in some sort of moderation queue.

Not sure on the other stuff too, why I can't start a new post in the offtopic / meta section
    It was a false positive flag raised automatically by the forum's anti-spam controls.

I don't know what algorithms it actually uses.  It catches a lot (90%+) of the spammers that manage to get themselves signed up (which is obviously agood thing).  Unfortunately, it also catches some non-spam posts by real members - very occasionally - including yours earlier today.

We modmins get a notification icon whenever that happens.  When I saw your post was flagged, I cleared it as soon as I saw it was from a real member.  You should be fine to post now, wherever you choose.  Tag me in a reply here if that's not the case.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3518
    Can't seem to login using Twitter authenticate any more. Have to go through Google ID. Not a big problem but worth mentioning it's knackered.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Is it possible to get a time stamp on PMs/Inbox message?

I've received two offers to buy my guitar on the same day, both are in places I drive past, so either is good with me. Seems fairest to go first-come first-served, but I cannot see which is which as no time-stamp?

Thanks!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Doh! Just worked out, obviously the newest is at the top.

Still, times' be good in general!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Anyone found themselves trying to add wisdoms on other forums?? most frustrating - change it thefretboardmodmins! make it right.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    What !  
    there are other forums ?  
    nah, you pulling my ........

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    frankus;145350" said:
    Anyone found themselves trying to add wisdoms on other forums?? most frustrating - change it thefretboardmodmins! make it right.
    Lol. I only go to tdpri other than here, but YES! I've tried to wisdom people on there a few times before my idiot brain registers exactly where I am.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Can't edit the Chord of the week index at http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/598/chord-of-the-week-index today - I get the message "Body is 3851 characters too long". The Good Traders thread will be hard to manage if this restriction persists . . . ;-)
  • Hey @bigjon, I have had the same problem too.  It seems to be caused by repeat editing of a post, like your index.  Try copying your whole index then deleting it (save a draft first !) and then pasting back in.  That seems to refresh whatever is causing the problem, which hopefully the admins will look into when they have time.  I hope that helps   :)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27859

@bigjon @chrismusic

The problem - I think - is all the extra hidden formatting characters that get added by external apps - such as Word.  If you create a doc in an external application and then copy/paste it into the comment box here, all that hidden formatting stuff gets counted as extra characters and the forum software says "too much".

I had the same problem when I wrote the charter and then tried copying/pasting it into a post here.

The solution (for me) was to use Notepad to create the original - that didn't add all the extra stuff.  So, I'd try copying your content out to Notepad, adding whatever you need to, saving the Notepad file in standard txt format (to strip out the junk), re-open it, and then try copy/paste back into here.

Update the thread here to let me know if that works ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks for the reply @TTony.  For my part I am doing the same as bigjon and repeatedly editing indexes.  I am doing that purely in the 'comment box' (no external apps), but I think you are right about the additional hidden formatting.  My belief is that it somehow compounds up with each iteration.  You only have to add a few characters (with a link in the case of an index) and it tips it into substantially higher body count  (sounds a bit like a CIA documentary ! )

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Editing in Notepad and copy/pasting worked, thanks. Previously I'd been doing all the editing in the forum's own editor window
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I love this forum, but the 'nuts n bolts' really can be a pain in the ass. I usually use my iPad for web browsing, but this site is so unbelievably buggy with it. Things go wrong, things don't work. I'm guessing that we are stuck with the fact that the 'architecture' is not that iPad-friendly. 
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Probably been brought up before (a few times), but,

When I get a email alert that someone has replied to a topic.  I click the link in the email to take me to the post, and I'm not logged in.  Even though I am actually logged in. (in another browser tab).