Feedback

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27859
    edited February 2014
    axisus said:
    I love this forum, but the 'nuts n bolts' really can be a pain in the ass. I usually use my iPad for web browsing, but this site is so unbelievably buggy with it. Things go wrong, things don't work. I'm guessing that we are stuck with the fact that the 'architecture' is not that iPad-friendly. 

Can you be a little more specific?  Presume iOS7 and standard out-of-the-box  Safari??

I use my iPad most of the time too, but don't have any issues, other than the comment box defaults to the "show source" option.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Re- logging in issue.  That happens to me too, sometimes when clicking another FretBoard link in a discussion, or when accessing theFretBoard from a google search, all the while being logged in on the window / tab that I am currently using.
    Bit of a pain, especially when you find an older post and want to bookmark it, as I have to note the time stamp, go back to my 'logged in window' and trawl back to find it there just to click the bookmark.

It is even more hassle to remember whatever bloody password I used ! - and I don't want to break something by logging in twice...
    :-O

• While I am in 'feedback' mode, there is one thing which drives the way I have to use theFretBoard, which I find very irritating and spoils my enjoyment as I have to take this into account with every click.

If I scroll above the post I am taken to in #latest, and release the mouse button, I am totally screwed every time I revisit that page, it always takes me to that point and I have to go searching for the most recent comments.  So I actually have to remember where I was !!!   As soon as a new page is started (30 comments per page?) I am OK again.

This is a real pain if there are (say) 25 comments in a new discussion, and I just want to check it out, click on it and find a video or several long posts, and want to come back when I have the time to relax and read and enjoy.  So basically I don't.
    I have sometimes missed posts or disengaged with discussions because of this.

I don't know if this is a site thing or anyone else experiences it, or whether it is a local browser issue (Mac and Safari).

It would really improve my experience of being here if I sorted that one, cheers, Chris.

• FazerFazer Frets: 468
    Re- logging in issue.  That happens to me too, sometimes when clicking another FretBoard link in a discussion, or when accessing theFretBoard from a google search, all the while being logged in on the window / tab that I am currently using.
    Bit of a pain, especially when you find an older post and want to bookmark it, as I have to note the time stamp, go back to my 'logged in window' and trawl back to find it there just to click the bookmark.

It is even more hassle to remember whatever bloody password I used ! - and I don't want to break something by logging in twice...
    yes, clicking on any link to a page takes me there but logged out and as a 'guest', even when i'm already logged into to other pages, including the one where the link is.
    this is in windows/firefox
    If I scroll above the post I am taken to in #latest, and release the mouse button, I am totally screwed every time I revisit that page, it always takes me to that point and I have to go searching for the most recent comments.  So I actually have to remember where I was !!!   As soon as a new page is started (30 comments per page?) I am OK again.

I don't know if this is a site thing or anyone else experiences it, or whether it is a local browser issue (Mac and Safari).
    ah, is it the scrolling up that causes it do you think?
    i've had the same issue on some threads (windows/firefox) but i never tracked down a cause or cure
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    TTony said:
    axisus said:
    I love this forum, but the 'nuts n bolts' really can be a pain in the ass. I usually use my iPad for web browsing, but this site is so unbelievably buggy with it. Things go wrong, things don't work. I'm guessing that we are stuck with the fact that the 'architecture' is not that iPad-friendly. 

Can you be a little more specific?  Presume iOS7 and standard out-of-the-box  Safari??

I use my iPad most of the time too, but don't have any issues, other than the comment box defaults to the "show source" option.
    @TTony ios6.1.2, Safari plus another browser that I downloaded. The biggest problem is trying to quote someone. box goes to show source, I change it, type 1 letter and it flips back, change it again, type maybe 2 letters and it flips back (blitzing my type every time). About 1 time in 20 I get a message done, but usually I give up.

Also, whether trying to quote or not, none of the buttons at the top of the comment box work except the last two.
    on the ''view all posts'' i wish that yesterdays posts still had a time on them as well as yesterdays date, so that i could easily tell how far back to check
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    I'm on Chrome browser for win7 and on a couple of occasions attempting to edit or trim a quote to the relevant section has changed the font (Had random font changes whilst typing a new post too I might add).  I've found that sometimes if you try to delete the quote you're left with an empty quote box which seems to be un-deletable.  Made a little more annoying by the auto-draft-save, so even refreshing the window or coming back later will not remove it.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    A few classifieds suggestions:

That people have a minimum post count of say 20 before they can post in it. Will get rid of chancers etc

Perhaps have a moderating system for it where posts have to be approved? No pics and no info is super annoying with high ticket items like guitars
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Re- logging in issue.  That happens to me too, sometimes when clicking another FretBoard link in a discussion, or when accessing theFretBoard from a google search, all the while being logged in on the window / tab that I am currently using.

It's still happening. I just clicked the link in ddlooping's signature in this thread http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/11807/is-denis-aka-ddlooping-still-around#latest  Although it's a page on this site, I'm shown as logged out.
    Hymnal said:
    That people have a minimum post count of say 20 before they can post in it. Will get rid of chancers etc

Perhaps have a moderating system for it where posts have to be approved? No pics and no info is super annoying with high ticket items like guitars
    We did discuss the min post count in the early days - but decided against it at the time as we were looking to build membership and hoped that the classifieds would act as a bit of a hook to get people to participate.  We might reconsider it though, particularly if we get a lot of signups who only post one thing in the Classifieds.

We do have rules for the posts, which I've been applying a little more rigorously lately.  So if people do just list something with no info, flag it, and it'll get some modmin suggestions!  eBay links are a particular annoyance to me - if I see those, I'm inclined to delete them.
    Mick said:

It's still happening. I just clicked the link in ddlooping's signature in this thread http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/11807/is-denis-aka-ddlooping-still-around#latest  Although it's a page on this site, I'm shown as logged out.
    @monquixote.

Any ideas?  It's happened to me too - I've always put it down to me logging on via a different device and/or browser, but that doesn't always cause it either.

@TTony I noticed this a while back to be honest, also as I mentioned in a previous post further up, when you get a email notification clicking the link in that email to take you to the thread also renders you as logged out, (when you're not).

Another niggle.  When anyone posts a external link using the hyperlink button, it takes the focus away from this site, instead of opening a new tab, or page.  Not always a good idea imo.  ;)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    It's because the site accepts the site with www or not but your browser sees them as different sites and so doesn't provide your credentials
    edited March 2014

Thanks.   So is it a site bug? or a site redirect issue? or neither?

Can't you set a redirect so this http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/88/fs-zoom-a2-1u-g2-1nu 

Becomes this http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/88/fs-zoom-a2-1u-g2-1nu ?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    It's a feature :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's a feature :)
    Hope you didn't pay anything for it. :-\"
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks @Mick and monquixote, at least that provides a useable workaround, simply edit the address bar and stay logged in.  Today I learned something new   :)

Good point about opening off-site links automatically in a new tab or window and leaving theFretBoard page un harmed, most will want to return any way, but if they get distracted they can always jump straight back in.

It is always good protocol to keep people on the site in cases like this.  I always try to remember to check where the link is taking me and open in a new tab anyway, good security too, but it would be good business policy to make that automatic if possible.
    I have about 30 tabs open right now, just need more hours in the day to explore the plethora of information shared here.

Thanks @Mick and monquixote, at least that provides a useable workaround, simply edit the address bar and stay logged in.  Today I learned something new   :)

Good point about opening off-site links automatically in a new tab or window and leaving theFretBoard page un harmed, most will want to return any way, but if they get distracted they can always jump straight back in.

It is always good protocol to keep people on the site in cases like this.  I always try to remember to check where the link is taking me and open in a new tab anyway, good security too, but it would be good business policy to make that automatic if possible.
    I have about 30 tabs open right now, just need more hours in the day to explore the plethora of information shared here.

A tip or three if you're using a PC.

If you click a link with your mouse wheel button it'll open in a new tab.

If you hold shift on your keyboard whilst left clicking a link, it'll open a new window.

If you hold Ctrl key whilst left clicking a link, it'll open a new tab.

its happened at least the last 2 times, that i dont get an email notification of a PM (i am set to receive email but not popup) for the initial new message, but i do get notifications of the follow ups in the conversation