What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    ddlooping said:
    TimmyO said:
    ddlooping said:

I know. :)
    It's also tidier. ;)

Ah, so it's actually about OCD and because you can you will? At least it's and honest answer lol
    I'm an honest man. :)
    I don't have access to the forum's admin section so I can't change the categories names. ;)
    IMO, the prefixes do make it faster to get what a discussion is about though, regardless of the categories names. 

You see the thing is, neatness is not the same as useability. And the key to engaging users is finding out how *they* will find things most useable, not how *you* prefer it. If I'm in the market for say a Telecaster, it's straightforward to pick out the thread titles that start 'Tele' or Fender - now I have to more actively read every FS title. The use case for a GASer is not that they are in the market for anything that is for sale, but that they look for something specific. The effort to make things uniform is hindering useability. I'll shush now as I suspect I'm being ignored but if any on the Dev team work anywhere with UX experts, talk to them :-)
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited January 2014
    TimmyO said:

You see the thing is, neatness is not the same as useability. And the key to engaging users is finding out how *they* will find things most useable, not how *you* prefer it. If I'm in the market for say a Telecaster, it's straightforward to pick out the thread titles that start 'Tele' or Fender - now I have to more actively read every FS title. The use case for a GASer is not that they are in the market for anything that is for sale, but that they look for something specific. The effort to make things uniform is hindering useability. I'll shush now as I suspect I'm being ignored but if any on the Dev team work anywhere with UX experts, talk to them :-)
    Points taken, Timmy, but do you seriously think that adding "FS: " before "Tele" or "Fender" would make the threads harder to pick out?

Tele Cabronita USA 2008 for sale... [Guitar £$]
    Baja Tele wanted... [Guitar £$]

FS: Tele Cabronita USA 2008... [Guitar £$]
    WTD: Baja Tele ... [Guitar £$]

In the case of the first examples you have to read the whole title before you know whether the item is for sale, trade or wanted.
    In the case of the second examples you know straight away. :)

Also, when viewing the "Discussions" page, you wouldn't have to read the name of the category, after having read the title of the thread, to know what the thread is about.
    Add to that the fact that threads are sometimes started in the wrong category (Gear>Guitar instead of Classifieds>Guitar)...

And no, you're not being ignored, why would you? :)

P.S: you seem to forget that I am a user too, and that my preference is as valid as yours.
    We need to make a poll to ascertain what the majority of users think. ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    TimmyO said:

We should be implementing a better search function soon, so you'll be able to search for "FS Tele" (or whatever), which should make it more easily usable??

Believe it or not, no-one & nothing gets ignored on this thread!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited January 2014
    You'd even be able to search for "FS" if you had some cash to burn and no idea what to burn it on. ;)
    edited January 2014
    ddlooping said:
    You'd even be able to search for "FS" if you had some cash to burn and no idea what to burn it on. ;)
    I'll just post a PayPal addy to help anyone with that problem ... far easier that trying to "buy" something. 

:D
    Mick said:
    Can't seem to post using IE11 all I get when I click the "Post Comment" button is this,  Body is required.

If it said Brain is required, I could understand,  IE11 eh, what a fooking noghtmare, :)]
    @Mick - did you get that problem resolved?  

I know @monquixote was working on a tech fix, but I'm not sure whether that's gone live yet and @McToot reported the same issue this morning.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    It's fixed on the dev server.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337

I don't seem to be able to post or comment from home [using IE 11 as a browser] but can when I log in at work [using IE8] - is there something I need to do to resolve this?

thanks for help

David

BTW it comes up with 'Body required' when I try ...

thanks

vid

DavidRees said:

I don't seem to be able to post or comment from home [using IE 11 as a browser] but can when I log in at work [using IE8] - is there something I need to do to resolve this?

Install Chrome at home.

:D

Slightly more helpfully, it's an issue that has been fixed for the next release of the forum software - same issue that others have experienced and reported.

A workaround in the meantime is to write your posts in the "show source" version of the comments box.  To get there, click the button towards the right-hand end of the comment box that looks like a page with the ....  < > .... symbol in it.  
    many thanks TT Tony ... regards David
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    i agree that FS: and WTB: and WTT: (or the accepted alternatives) should be mandatory prefixes for items in classifieds.

i browse by 'recent discussions' and it makes it clear from the title exactly what the thread is about/offering, and differentiates it from general discussions/reviews/questions about pedals, guitars, amps, etc.

as for old threads i think they should be deleted, maybe with an automatic 30 days lifespan if no new posting.
    i think that any merit that there is in looking at an old classified ad, is outweighed by having things appear in searches that arent actually for sale
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    Fazer said:
    i agree that FS: and WTB: and WTT: (or the accepted alternatives) should be mandatory prefixes for items in classifieds.

i browse by 'recent discussions' and it makes it clear from the title exactly what the thread is about/offering, and differentiates it from general discussions/reviews/questions about pedals, guitars, amps, etc.

as for old threads i think they should be deleted, maybe with an automatic 30 days lifespan if no new posting.
    i think that any merit that there is in looking at an old classified ad, is outweighed by having things appear in searches that arent actually for sale
    4:30 on a friday afternoon in the office, looking out at the rain...
    :(

Not too sure how it works but on some other forums inactive threads aren't deleted but they are closed and archived.

If, for example, there was a FS 2008 telecaster ( etc,etc) and no activity for 30 days no one could post on it saying 'is this still for sale?' but they would have the option to PM the OP ( look at me using internet jargon like a young person! :-B )

The downside would be anyone searching and finding what they wanted on an old ( non classifieds) thread would then have to start a new one, but given the time elapsed (I mentioned 30 days as that's the period Fazer uses in his post although I would think longer) that would probably be okay, or  you could just limit the archiving process to the classifieds.

This might be a bit of a solution in search of a problem but I thought it might fix @Fazer 's issue without deleting old classifieds threads ( which may need referencing from time to time).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Just a bit of info to share with you.
    Google likes tFB    :)
    Just Googled edenfield99's ad for Freshman FA250D12 to check new pricing, and it was the fourth listing, only up for 33mins and Google knew it was there.  Brilliant !
    :)

edited January 2014
    Just Googled edenfield99's ad for Freshman FA250D12 to check new pricing, and it was the fourth listing, only up for 33mins and Google knew it was there.  Brilliant !
    :)
    That's impressive.

HELP ~ I am updating the index for the Music Course discussion

I put the post up as "reserved" and then add to it, having put the links and titles into the index at the top of page 2 >link< as an edit, and subsequently adding those to finish this section of the index, I get the following message
    Body is 567 characters too long.
    There is not too much text AFAIK, and I have found this before when editing a post which is definitely not that long, there must be something in the copy & paste and adding links that multiplies the amount of code (seriously out of my depth with that) or something similar.
    What can I do to avoid this, as the discussion index will grow, or is this something that can be done at admin level?
    I also want to do more lessons in this fashion later, so a solution or a workaround would be very helpful.
    Thanks for your help,   cheers,  Chris

Update to the query above and a possible workaround ~
    I have just copied the whole edited post, and then selected all contents and pasted it back in (i.e. a complete substitution) and it has worked.
    I will however run into the same problem again in doing this sort of editing, in this thread as well as others.
    So your help would still be appreciated  :)

• I'd just like to say that almost all of the topics in the "Metal" section are fairly off topic.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    this page from the edit profile section is coming up a total blank:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/whosonline

Hey guys, is the views counter on some discussions broken ?
    Several have multiple replies, but only one view.
    (or are we being accessed from beyond the afterlife, in which case we have a real story to tell at the guitar show)