General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1111
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7381
    Pretty annoying when they're games that you already get in other subs. A lot of EA Play stuff is then on PS Plus.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3123
    Finally managed to find some time to try the first hunting trials on Horizon Forbidden West, managed to get full stripes for each of the 3 events first time.  Must say, the only thing I'm not keen on so far is the stupid chess in game mini game you can play, at least the oleg game in Assassins Creed Valhala was some what fun, this mini game feels more like punishment.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 594
    My husband bought me Horizon FW for my birthday (and not at all because he wants to play it) so I started it yesterday. Really annoying to go straight from full power armour and upgraded weapons, etc, in ZD to basically nothing, but enjoying the game.
    westford said:
    My husband bought me Horizon FW for my birthday (and not at all because he wants to play it) so I started it yesterday. Really annoying to go straight from full power armour and upgraded weapons, etc, in ZD to basically nothing, but enjoying the game.

When you've played part 1, especially when you go full out on it and get all the top gear, it's upsetting when you start part 2 with just the basics, and have to rebuild your character all over again, especially when it's an offline single player game, it really interupts the flow of the storey arc and gameplay.  I think the Dragon Age RPG's allowed those who completed 1 to bring their character and choices - the in game iplicatios from in game choices made, into part 2, and you could do the same in part 3.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7381
    I started playing again yesterday. I found that you can sprint and then do a slide all the way down a mountain path if you find a good one.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28775
    I have started Nier Replicant. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Fuck yeah, took down Margit. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think I may have finally finished the tutorial to Horizon Forbidden West, the world it is set in is amazing, Ikeep getting side tracked, a bit dissapointed that so far I've only seen one new variation of machine animal, and that was the snake things at the start cut schenes and movement tutorial.  I was hoping a different game setting, desert instead of woodlanfds and mountains, would bring with it new machine animal things that wheren't in Horizon Zero Dawn, still a good game though, the map is a hell of a lot bigger, ust wish I had more time to play it, like a whole day or weekend, to  dedicate to it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11948
    I am STILL in the Lake Lucaria area, not played all week, today managed a couple of hours and explored a couple of caves and beat some crystalians.  I've seen these people on stream, people have trouble beating them due to their high defence but I think I am still over levelled for the area, they were easy for me.  I think it took less than 30 seconds.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28775
    I was hoping a different game setting, desert instead of woodlanfds and mountains, would bring with it new machine animal things that wheren't in Horizon Zero Dawn
    There are new machines. Familiar ones too. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Made a bit of progress on elden ring and defeated a couple more bosses. Also found my way through a side quest and enjoying invading others a bit - although it's clear there are some "meta" builds, which I don't have. Curse the Internet and it's freely available info!

The map is still growing. I realised, though, it's not actually that big. I reckon it's a lot smaller than most open world games - but it's packed with real, meaningful stuff. So much implied story, so many things to discover and no bloody quest markers.

Just loving pottering about. Found another boss right near the start of the game that is much stronger than me (level 56).
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10304
    Made a bit of progress on elden ring and defeated a couple more bosses. Also found my way through a side quest and enjoying invading others a bit - although it's clear there are some "meta" builds, which I don't have. Curse the Internet and it's freely available info!

The map is still growing. I realised, though, it's not actually that big. I reckon it's a lot smaller than most open world games - but it's packed with real, meaningful stuff. So much implied story, so many things to discover and no bloody quest markers.

Just loving pottering about. Found another boss right near the start of the game that is much stronger than me (level 56).
    Really? I think it's huge. I'm level 100 and I've done the capital. I'm now exploring the underground world. Have you done any of that? It's absolutely mental. Mimic summon is a necessity. 
  • Made a bit of progress on elden ring and defeated a couple more bosses. Also found my way through a side quest and enjoying invading others a bit - although it's clear there are some "meta" builds, which I don't have. Curse the Internet and it's freely available info!

Really? I think it's huge. I'm level 100 and I've done the capital. I'm now exploring the underground world. Have you done any of that? It's absolutely mental. Mimic summon is a necessity. 

Yeah I've done some of that. I still think there are bigger, but much more empty, open worlds. I remember playing a far cry game that had a huge world but largely copy-paste with lots of repeated "outposts" or whatever they're called, and it was such a hollow, bland experience in comparison. There also isn't any way to really "zoom" around the map in elden ring, which is a good thing - you're forced to explore and find your way around, not just use a hook pull or glider mechanic to quickly get from one interesting bit to another, thus eliminating the "open world" bit of (for example) far cry.

It just feels like a huge dark souls, which always felt like a much bigger world than it actually was. That's as big a complement as I can give! 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1039
    The map is absolutely massive. It just gets bigger and bigger.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10304
    Made a bit of progress on elden ring and defeated a couple more bosses. Also found my way through a side quest and enjoying invading others a bit - although it's clear there are some "meta" builds, which I don't have. Curse the Internet and it's freely available info!

Yeah I've done some of that. I still think there are bigger, but much more empty, open worlds. I remember playing a far cry game that had a huge world but largely copy-paste with lots of repeated "outposts" or whatever they're called, and it was such a hollow, bland experience in comparison. There also isn't any way to really "zoom" around the map in elden ring, which is a good thing - you're forced to explore and find your way around, not just use a hook pull or glider mechanic to quickly get from one interesting bit to another, thus eliminating the "open world" bit of (for example) far cry.

It just feels like a huge dark souls, which always felt like a much bigger world than it actually was. That's as big a complement as I can give! 
    I guess if you compare it to Skyrim it did have miles and miles of mountain ranges with nowt in it. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11948
    You can't go far in this game without feeling there is something constantly around the corner.  Not to mention when it gets into nighttime, different enemies appear as well.  It's packed full of stuff, there are something, from a little Golden Rune Skull on the ground to an NPC to a minor grunt to kill to a hidden door or trap or item pick up every 30 seconds in any direction in almost every spot in the game.  Pick a random spot and walk any direction and you will spot something within 30 seconds.

I guess if you compare it to Skyrim it did have miles and miles of mountain ranges with nowt in it. 

Yes, exactly. I'm not sure which map is bigger, but I wouldn't mind betting skyrim had a technically bigger map. It just had nothing in it. 

You can't go far in this game without feeling there is something constantly around the corner.  Not to mention when it gets into nighttime, different enemies appear as well.  It's packed full of stuff, there are something, from a little Golden Rune Skull on the ground to an NPC to a minor grunt to kill to a hidden door or trap or item pick up every 30 seconds in any direction in almost every spot in the game.  Pick a random spot and walk any direction and you will spot something within 30 seconds.

Exactly. I actually did just this, and it was how I found the rose church, a weird unique enemy and a whole new quest line. 
    I am STILL in the Lake Lucaria area, not played all week, today managed a couple of hours and explored a couple of caves and beat some crystalians.  I've seen these people on stream, people have trouble beating them due to their high defence but I think I am still over levelled for the area, they were easy for me.  I think it took less than 30 seconds.
    Ive not even been there. Ive only found one underground area so far too and I wasnt strong enough for it really, could only take down 4-5 of the normal mobs there before getting lamped. It was incredibly pretty though! 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I should prob check out the weeping peninsula but freaking ambush by an armored knight in storm veil castle in a black room has left 25k runes jsut sitting there so need to go get that back first. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ