General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10384
    Ahh god damn i'm still so shit at Elden Ring...even struggling to take out the boss  in the cave in the starting area. How do you even grind for  level as it seems once youve murderer mobs once theyu dont drop anything any more once you kiill them?
    You grind for runes. Then you use them to level up. Leave the boss and do something else. It’s optional. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    edited April 2022
    Ahh god damn i'm still so shit at Elden Ring...even struggling to take out the boss  in the cave in the starting area. How do you even grind for  level as it seems once youve murderer mobs once theyu dont drop anything any more once you kiill them?
    You get runes when you kill something.  It's on the bottom right corner.  They are more like currency, money.  When you sit down at a grace you get an option to level up.  You can spend it in different categories.  It starts off costing very little to upgrade a stat at the start and it exponentially scales up.

Keep an eye on the count that you have.  I would spend it once you reach the next threshold of levelling up if you are moving into a new area.  If you die while holding them, it drops where you died and then you need to either go back to that spot to collect it, if you don't and die again, they will be gone.

It's best to spend as much as you can to the point you don't care about what you are losing before moving into a boss fight unless you want to collect it back every single time you start the fight.
    I’ve tried the two tree sentinels at the Capital Outskirts about 150 times now. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Made some progress today, the spear is jsut bullshit so im using a sword now instead which helps and have found a decent spot where i can kill bos fairly reliably and have levelled about 5 times, gonna grind that for a bit then retry some bosses.

How much do you guys splitbetween vigor and your scaling stat? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited April 2022
    Made some progress today, the spear is jsut bullshit so im using a sword now instead which helps and have found a decent spot where i can kill bos fairly reliably and have levelled about 5 times, gonna grind that for a bit then retry some bosses.

How much do you guys splitbetween vigor and your scaling stat? 

I didn't put anything into vigor until I was about level 35. I have played these games before so I tend to avoid getting hit where I can, although it's a bit harder than I expected as I'm coming from bloodborne. Sword and board is a good way to go probably. 

I'm level 40 something now, but I don't get to play much... 

Surprised the spear isn't good, usually spears are quite strong. Keep exploring. The game is telling you that not everything can be beaten straight away.

Edit: my advice for you is to level vigor a bit, maybe 5 levels. Scaling is very slow at early game so benefits are smaller. I would also look around the opening area - you will find a few helpful resources there. I don't want to spoil anything...

Lastly, remember, if a fight is too hard you can almost always run away. Nothing wrong with that! Bloodborne is my favourite game ever and there are plenty of enemies I choose to run from instead of fight. :) 
    Spears might be alright, maybe im jsut rubbish using them! The sword I have seems way more reliable. Im kinda getting the hang of rolling now, the point to roll is way later than you think from other games. I was at the position where I was struggling to take on anything more than 1 or maybe 2 soldiers at a time but I think getting a bit better now. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I do run away a lot though, I strayed into this area of fire and came across this huge head on a wagon spouting flames and was like...thats a hard nope for sure :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I do run away a lot though, I strayed into this area of fire and came across this huge head on a wagon spouting flames and was like...thats a hard nope for sure :)

These games are famous for being hard, but they're not really - I suppose the difference is that you're not a superhero, and most people come from games where you are very much a superhero. 

You can become insanely overpowered, but by contrast people are completing level 1 runs with no weapons or armour...
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3254
    Baby Jesus must bloody hate me, get 10 minutes to myself for a cup of tea and a blast of Horizon Forbidden West, and there is a bigger of a huge update I have to download first before I can give the game a blast.  Looks like it's going to take me at least another week to finish the sodding long tutorial for the game.
    I do run away a lot though, I strayed into this area of fire and came across this huge head on a wagon spouting flames and was like...thats a hard nope for sure :)

These games are famous for being hard, but they're not really - I suppose the difference is that you're not a superhero, and most people come from games where you are very much a superhero. 

You can become insanely overpowered, but by contrast people are completing level 1 runs with no weapons or armour...
    Its pretty small margin of error. A lot of stuff can kill me really quickly if I mess up. I also find the animation length makes things harder. Its like you've pressed strong attack just as the enemy telegraphed an attack but you cant press roll for about another 15 mins so you just have to watch on as they tear your face off.

The other one is because your character is so unreactive, because of the huge animation length your also end up tapping buttons again as you have no haptic feedback that the game noticed you but then all that does is queue up more attacks that play in sequence so your character mindlessly swipes at thin air while the enemy tears your face off. 

In fact the controls seem pretty janky generally but this seems to be the character of the game which is clearly meant to reward a conservative play style. ie/ wait and watch for an attack, dodge-roll then attack and retreat/repeat.

Logically I know that and when I actually do it it works but its so hard not to start reacting in twitch mode int he heat of the moment :) 

Also why the fuck do you lose focus when you backstab someone? Maybe their blood splatters in your face.Cos quite often I'll back stab then try to attack but the camera is unbound at the point so you jsut swing into mid air allowing the enemy to take advantage of the 15 minutes your attack animation takes to tear your face off. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited April 2022

These games are famous for being hard, but they're not really
    Mate I’ve tried these two bloody Tree Sentinels upwards of 200 TIMES. 
    edited April 2022
    Elden Ring

Managed to kill the Mini Boss Duo at Redame Castle just before Radahn.  Took me probably about 25 tries, bloody annoying arena to fight in, so small, cluttered with stuff.  Constantly backed into a wall and rolled into things.  The first beast thing that approaches is easy (as a mage) but the Crucible Knight is hard as a rock.  I could not stagger him, not even with the Meteorite Rocks or with R2 special from the Moonveil Katana and I have lvl 62 in Intelligence.  

The fight was almost won due to luck because even with summons I could not take them both together, so if the beast takes his time and walks to me, I can batter him with Meteorite Rocks just as he got into his strike range of me.  If he runs over and I have to move out into the space (hence shorten my distance to the knight), I would be stuffed.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7415
    Baby Jesus must bloody hate me, get 10 minutes to myself for a cup of tea and a blast of Horizon Forbidden West, and there is a bigger of a huge update I have to download first before I can give the game a blast.  Looks like it's going to take me at least another week to finish the sodding long tutorial for the game.
    Did you have a look at how much energy it uses leaving it on rest mode? I read an article that said it wasn't very much, but I suppose that's relative. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27612
    edited April 2022
    Sony's own page suggests the PS5 is basically equivalent to standby (there is no "off" in the strictest sense), except when charging controllers or download/updating stuff, which makes sense. 

Low power

• Rest: 0.36 W         
    • Rest (Supply Power to USB Ports): 3.7 W
    • Rest (Stay Connected to the Internet): 1.2 W
    • Rest (All): 3.8 W
    There are slight differences between different model numbers but they're pall very low. 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/ecodesign/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    I never put mine in rest mode, I always just "shut Down" the console.  The only down side is to wait for any updates, which is fine.  I can go weeks without turning it on, like i haven't turned on my Xbox SX in like 3 months.
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 393
    I got a PS5 and Xbox series X just before Xmas. We (me & the kids) have platinumed Astro’s Playroom, finished Ratchet & Clank and Halo. I’ve just started Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Xbox. I bought it on the XBOne at release but didn’t get around to playing it due to kids, but really enjoying it so far.
    woah im on it tonight, took out the troll waiting on the ridge outside the castle for the first time, a giant crab thing, totally mauled thje soldier camp near the start a couple of times and came close to taking out both trolls (2nd one down to 10%) in the big convoy thingy (got take out by those horse dudes in the end).

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I DONE THE TREE SENTINELS!!!!!!!

Only took 250 tries. Not even joking. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    I keep my PS5 fully off as I don't use it much. But my Xbox Series X on standby as I use that every day. 

I DONE THE TREE SENTINELS!!!!!!!

Only took 250 tries. Not even joking. 
    I havent even tried to fight the single tree sentinel near the start but hes still splatted me a couple of times when i wasnt paying attention. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ