General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    I got a new graphics card coming today or tomorrow :)
    Whaddya get? I'm holding off until next year. Good to see prices coming down at last. 
    RTX 3050...considering im coming from a 750 Ti its a sizeable upgrade and im doing some video stuff at the moment that keeps crashing when i run out of VRAM so needs must.
    Blimey - I though my 980ti to 3070ti was a big jump! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    Just done with Godrick at Elden Ring. First try, he lasted may be 30 seconds.  I find some of the open world foot soldiers more difficult to deal with because they dodge and block with shield.  Godrick just takes the damage head on which made it super easy.

It sounds like you're a bit over-levelled, but I suspect future bosses will stretch that as the bosses become more complex. 

I'm still early game apparently, don't get to play much - I'm a couple of bosses ahead of you - you'll walk all over those ones I think as well.

Still haven't got a brilliant dex scaling build - I'm currently using Rogiers Rapier, which is basically a slightly better magic rapier, but might go back to dual wield claws - that was super fun. 
    I am still over-leveled.  Bosses are easy currently.  Like total pushovers due to them being just one of them and I can distract them with a summon spirit.  Open world minions can overwhelm me if there are more than a couple of them which makes them harder to deal with.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 599
    I'm still playing HZD (finished the main story, on the Frozen Wilds bit), and then I've got Death Stranding to play and I want to replay Days Gone and see how it is on the PS5. Might get to HFW some day...
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    I've got the next couple of weeks off work and I've been trying to decide what to play.  Think I've settled on finally tackling Horizon Zero Dawn after buying it years ago. 

The number of games I've got in my Steam & PS library that I've never played or only played the first hour or so of is a little embarrassing. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    westford said:
    I'm still playing HZD (finished the main story, on the Frozen Wilds bit), and then I've got Death Stranding to play and I want to replay Days Gone and see how it is on the PS5. Might get to HFW some day...

Get the power armor for Horizin Zero Dawn, if you get it early enough, you become an unkillable god, even on the hardest difficulty, the first battery is located in the area called Mother's ????, it's right at the start after you lose your focus and have to refind it, it's in a small crawl space on your left
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    Sporky said:
    I got a new graphics card coming today or tomorrow :)
    Whaddya get? I'm holding off until next year. Good to see prices coming down at last. 
    RTX 3050...considering im coming from a 750 Ti its a sizeable upgrade and im doing some video stuff at the moment that keeps crashing when i run out of VRAM so needs must.
    Blimey - I though my 980ti to 3070ti was a big jump! 
    Yeah im hoping its nice and noticeable..need to try a new game to see the difference. It arrived yesterday so may install it tonight depending on what time the kids go to bed. I like the look of Elden ring *but* I dont get super long play sessions so not sure if I will jsut find the repeated dying frustrating.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    @RaymondLin ;
    Just to let you know that my Retroid Pocket 2+ arrived yesterday. It was almost 3 months from order to receiving it.

Will let you know how I get on with it, when it’s fully set up.
    duotone said:
    @RaymondLin ;
    Just to let you know that my Retroid Pocket 2+ arrived yesterday. It was almost 3 months from order to receiving it.

ooooh, I never heard of that one.  
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    duotone said:
    @RaymondLin ;

I got one of those when they first came out.  From memory, it works well enough for 8 and 16 bit games but playstation was a stretch and anything beyond that was a no go.  Unless there are native android games that support them (and will run well), I've no idea why they put dual analogue sticks on it.

Must dig it out though.  I'd quite like to play through some of the old Zelda games again.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    So gave Rlden Ring a try. Blimey it's hard isnt it. Can't quite manage to clear out the first guard camp yet. The last 2 dudes are just enough to finish me. I picked a prophet because they look cool but not really liking how directional the spear is.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • So gave Rlden Ring a try. Blimey it's hard isnt it. Can't quite manage to clear out the first guard camp yet. The last 2 dudes are just enough to finish me. I picked a prophet because they look cool but not really liking how directional the spear is.

If you get stuck, get on your horse and go exploring :) I bet you've missed loads in the very opening area already. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited April 2022
    My friend was playing as a dual wielding warrior and found it amazingly difficult. He’s a bit flaky with games anyway so I didn’t hold much hope. He had levelled once since getting it. He changed his character to a bandit that has a shield and a bow and it’s much easier for him. He can counter block with the shield, lure with the arrows, and clear out areas from a distance. It’s a good option to take for beginners. The bow is essential I feel. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4240
    Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Switch) is great fun as expected, it has the odd frame-rate drop but otherwise plays really nicely on that platform.

It’s a Ronseal-type game, but has tonnes of content and unlockables to maximise its value, and will probably end up being my most-played game of 2022 I suspect.
    So gave Rlden Ring a try. Blimey it's hard isnt it. Can't quite manage to clear out the first guard camp yet. The last 2 dudes are just enough to finish me. I picked a prophet because they look cool but not really liking how directional the spear is.
    I saw a guide last night that help you get all the essential bits to start off without fighting anything.

the title is misleading, you won’t be over powered, as you are still level 12,  not like me who is level 99 and I just got through Stormville but the bits he picked up are good.  But only for those builds he is going for.  He doesn’t have the Meteorite staff for example.

https://youtu.be/tx9IsK8qhg4
    edited April 2022
    I saw a guide last night that help you get all the essential bits to start off without fighting anything.

the title is misleading, you won’t be over powered, as you are still level 12,  not like me who is level 99 and I just got through Stormville but the bits he picked up are good.  But only for those builds he is going for.  He doesn’t have the Meteorite staff for example.

https://youtu.be/tx9IsK8qhg4
    You’re level 99 and you just done the castle? That is hilarious. lol 
    Anyone played Crusader Kings 3? Anyone know what the hell to do?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    edited April 2022
    I've not really looked at Elden Ring cos I've been busy with other games. Am I right in thinking it's like a FFVII type where I can go off and level myself up loads and then get through the actual game easier?
    edited April 2022
    DefaultM said:
    I've not really looked at Elden Ring cos I've been busy with other games. Am I right in thinking it's like a FFVII type where I can go off and level myself up loads and then get through the actual game easier?
    It’s not linear anymore and more RPG, so yes, you can level up to end game power level pretty much from the start.  Some items will be gated until you beat certain bosses but nothing stops you to increase your stats. It’s what I’m doing, to make up for my lack of skill.
  • DefaultM said:
    It’s not linear anymore and more RPG, so yes, you can level up to end game power level pretty much from the start.  Some items will be gated until you bear certain bosses but nothing stops you to increase your stats. It’s what I’m doing, to make up for my lack of skill.

Exactly this. Soulsborne but more accessible. Even over levelled, there is plenty of challenge to be had in some areas I reckon (even a top level character that is overwhelmed by several low level enemies can have a problem!).

It's such a good game. I need to play it more, but the allotment is taking my spare time right now. 

Has anyone else tried wobbledogs? I have not laughed so hard for so long. 
    edited April 2022
    DefaultM said:
    It’s not really like Final Fantasy, which is instance, turn based combat. This is a real time action/fantasy RPG where dodging, parrying and taking your time is very important. Any enemy can kill you, and generally speaking if you die, it’s your own fault. That could be because you aren’t good enough, you’ve attempted the boss at the wrong time, or you’ve panicked and rolled/dodged too much, mismanaged your stamina or tactics. The game teaches you how to learn these things in subtle ways. 

You can level up very high and make it easy but personally, I think that the game is meant to be a challenge and you should just spend the time getting better. I died like 30 times to a Tree Sentinel on top of a big walkway yesterday. I just can’t beat it. So now I’m gonna grind a few levels. But it’s just a game, so if you get enjoyment from the game being easier, do that. But you really do get a sense of accomplishment from beating a hard boss!

I’d definitely recommend it. It’s a 10/10.