Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NeuralDSP / Darkglass helix type thing....? Now with Rabea demo!

What's Hot

Comments

• It’s a £1k deposit for something that isn’t available for 11 months?

No. $200.
    Ahhh 1000 people have paid the $200 deposit. Got it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Line 6 will have a new helix thingy soon enough....
  • NelsonP said:
    Yeah can’t wait for the new Line 6 Helix with profiling coming out on Thursday at NAMM due to launch the following Monday 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    Yeah can’t wait for the new Line 6 Helix with profiling coming out on Thursday at NAMM due to launch the following Monday 
    Jokes aside, they have all the I/O to do something like that. What they'd need is some clever bod on staff who can implement a clevurrrr way to profile an amp.

It's not like there wasn't demand for it even prior to this NeuralDSP announcement.

Bye!

edited January 2020
    The form factor of this is ideal.

Fractal fm3 is too small
    Helix too big
    Hx stomp too small

But this one is just right, said Goldilocks.

Having said that i'd be in no rush to put down a deposit on something that won't be ready for months, especially when I can't try it first. And it's a bit spendy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The form factor gives me pause actually. It's smaller than a 15" macbook, which means the switches might be too close together for a bigfoot like me.

Bye!

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited January 2020
    According to the website, all of the initial run of units have already been pre-ordered, and there won't be another batch of 1000 ready until November. You'll all be rocking like addicts on withdrawal by then 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    So many questions are from people who have clearly not used a modern modeller
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    Jokes aside, they have all the I/O to do something like that. What they'd need is some clever bod on staff who can implement a clevurrrr way to profile an amp.

It's not like there wasn't demand for it even prior to this NeuralDSP announcement.
    It would still sound cheap and digital.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Don’t know much about Neural stuff but they seem to charge for each amp plugin on top of the base license.  Will this be the case with the hardware as well?
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Looks impressive enough, be interested to see how it pans out.

Sad truth is though, it's not going to convert anyone who doesn't already like modellers.  It will still sound like a mic'd up amp so all the "it doesn't sound like MY amp in MY room to MY ears" brigade will still hate it!  :)
  • John_A said:
    Don’t know much about Neural stuff but they seem to charge for each amp plugin on top of the base license.  Will this be the case with the hardware as well?

From what I understand the existing plugins are separate to the amp list coming with this unit, but will be able to be loaded by the hardware if you own licenses. 

• This isn't blowing me away tbh.

Bye!

edited January 2020
    Neural are replying to comments on that vid saying that this is just an initial demo and that they won't disappoint. They seem to have a good reputation in plug ins, so that gives some credibility to their claims.

However, I can't help but feel that this has been a bit rushed to hit NAMM. Only 2 units, no YouTube demos available from the usual suspects at launch, only a few amp models available with the promise that everything will be sorted in the next few months, etc....

People are already moaning about having to put down a deposit 9 months before release. FWIW Fractal have done the same with the FM3.

Personally this 'pay now, try later' model is not for me. Especially at this price point. But it seems there are plenty of people out there who simply have to have the latest thing and are willling to take a punt on them and stump up the cash on a product that is very clearly still in development.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's a year early.

They've rushed it for NAMM.

Everybody knows NAMM is

NOT
    AVAILABLE
    MAYBE
    MAY

But it's not supposed to be May in the following year for general sales.

I really want it to be a success because the smaller format but with enough footswitches, wireless updates etc sound perfect for me.

This isn't blowing me away tbh.
    hey! It sounds as good as I manage to make my Helix sound!
    :D 
  • That touchscreen plus knob button setup is either a master stroke or a nonsense 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

This isn't blowing me away tbh.
    Early days I suppose... Not exactly an inspiring demo, but then I find you have to try these units for a while before you get a true feel for them.

Loving parts of the design, but I don't really see a reason yet to jump from the helix.

Wonder if line 6 will have an update to demo... It's been a while and the code update felt like it would be a launch pad for greater things...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Interesting that they've not added a built in expression pedal. Makes the unit smaller and lighter for those who don't need it, but for those that do, adding an external pedal is untidy and awkward. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)