Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NeuralDSP / Darkglass helix type thing....? Now with Rabea demo!

What's Hot

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 676
    edited January 2020
    Voxman said:
    Interesting that they've not added a built in expression pedal. Makes the unit smaller and lighter for those who don't need it, but for those that do, adding an external pedal is untidy and awkward. 

I'm a lefty when it comes to wah and expression pedals, so I'm chuffed that this unit doesn't have one on the right-hand side. That always puts me off these kinds of units.

Each to their own though, I know a lot of people will be in your boat too

Would be great if someone developed an add-on expression unit that could be fitted to either side of this, the Helix, Kemper etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24829
    Voxman said:
    Interesting that they've not added a built in expression pedal. Makes the unit smaller and lighter for those who don't need it, but for those that do, adding an external pedal is untidy and awkward. 
    Helix Rack controller and the Fractal controller don't have a built in expression pedal. Neither does the new Kemper floor unit.

Can't see it being an issue really. Lots of people out there who don't use a volume pedal or a wah.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• I'd rather pick my own expression pedal personally, or have the option to not connect if I don't need it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• This isn't blowing me away tbh.
    Yeah me too, as I said on FB the crunch and gain sounds on this demo are pretty balls. Hard to know if its just the guy dialling it in badly though especially as he seemed to be playing chugs on a preset called "screaming leads".

I did like the delay ont eh clean though and for me thats the part i struggle to dial in the most on helix.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I suppose part of the reason to announce it early may be to try and ‘save’ potential sales from going to helix/fractal etc this year.

Some people who were considering helix/fractal may think “I’ll hold on and wait for this”. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    I suppose part of the reason to announce it early may be to try and ‘save’ potential sales from going to helix/fractal etc this year.

Some people who were considering helix/fractal may think “I’ll hold on and wait for this”. 
    Given they just raised 200k on presale I reckon it has more to do with cash flow to get the first production run done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Is any other unit using these footswitches that double as encoders?
    Normal encoders are already pretty prone to failure, I’d be a bit worried about the durability of encoders that get mashed up with shoes all day long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose part of the reason to announce it early may be to try and ‘save’ potential sales from going to helix/fractal etc this year.

Given they just raised 200k on presale I reckon it has more to do with cash flow to get the first production run done.
    Having seen this first hand, yes I believe you're correct. Possibly they're also paying manufacturing bills that have piled up over the last two years!

Bye!

• lysander said:
    Normal encoders are already pretty prone to failure, I’d be a bit worried about the durability of encoders that get mashed up with shoes all day long.
    It's not the first time...TC Nova System had the same idea.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10386
    Sounds pretty average on that demo, but the guy playing seems very happy with it. Doesn't give me confidence. 

I think the Kemper will remain the absolute best in amp sounds for a long time. It's the only modeller I've felt sounded like a real amp when used with a cab. 

• lysander said:
    Having owned around 8 Nova Systems over the years this feature appears to have completely passed me by. So are you saying you can turn the footswitches on the Nova to change parameters on a preset?
  • lysander said:
    Having owned around 8 Nova Systems over the years this feature appears to have completely passed me by. So are you saying you can turn the footswitches on the Nova to change parameters on a preset?
    TC G-System had it. Not the Nova System.

Bye!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3422
    edited January 2020
    NelsonP said:
    Line 6 will have a new helix thingy soon enough....
    Told ya....
  • lysander said:
    TC G-System had it. Not the Nova System.
    My mistake, I confused the two units. I knew the bigger of the two units had it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    lysander said:
    One of the vids says the encoders were designed in house. Their own tech.
    Love the idea, if it works!

NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:
    Told ya....
    A cheap one!

It's not Helix 2!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:
    Told ya....
    A cheap one!

It's not Helix 2!
    CheapER, not exactly cheap by the time it gets to the UK
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3422
    £399 and a similar form factor, with an expression pedal. The tones in the neural quad are going to have to be amazing to justify an extra £1000. 

They must be pretty miffed with Line 6, who have not only stolen their thunder, but also have the POD in the hands of the 'influencers' and are already shipping it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10386
    What have line 6 released? 
    What have line 6 released? 
    Pod Go.