NGD - Not as described by seller (Fretboard member)

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387

As a rule when selling you should go over the guitar with a fine tooth comb. Take lots of pictures. List everything you can see. Over play the issues slightly. If you miss something small it's not as much of an issue if you've listed everything else. 

You have to protect yourself when selling and make sure the buyer knows what he/she is getting. 

I personally think that is setting the bar too high (the part in bold). As I said earlier, many dealers or shops don’t even go to these lengths. Why should a private seller be held to a higher standard? You can describe an item as accurately as you want but if a buyer is really determined they will be able to fabricate some ‘issue’ (not saying that’s the case here).
    Because the shop isn't a person and the shop doesn't give a shit when one person opens a thread that they'll never see about them for being 'potentially' dishonest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RonnieHotdogsRonnieHotdogs Frets: 187
    edited March 2020
    And I thought trying to sell records was hard, and those people are very very fussy.
    Another great example of try before you buy, but nothing second hand should be described as "as new" it's not, it's used. 
    It's either new or not.
    If I describe used LPs as "as new" I know I am setting myself up for a beating 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    @chenzman - sorry to hear the seller isn’t responding to your messages.  That’s not on.

In general, I think this thread should be closed down - it’s not serving any useful purpose.  The classifieds are (at least to me) a decent add-on to the rest of the forum for members to conduct private sales.  It’s not the business of the rest of the forum members to sit as jury if things go awry, either criticising the buyer or waving pitchforks at the seller.  The Trading Feedback section is there to serve as a recommendation - or warning - to others on anyone’s trading behaviour.

@p_jay78 - you should at least respond to chenzman’s messages on this.  Not doing so puts you in breach of forum rule #1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180

chenzman said:

I came here for advise after privately trying to contact the seller 5 times to discuss with him.

Seems to me that the problem at this stage is the lack of communication from the seller to the OP concerning the matter. Clearly he's aware of the issue and hiding from it.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    I honestly thought this was a wind up when i looked at the pictures - it would seem not 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    Cols said:
    @chenzman - sorry to hear the seller isn’t responding to your messages.  That’s not on.

In general, I think this thread should be closed down - it’s not serving any useful purpose.  The classifieds are (at least to me) a decent add-on to the rest of the forum for members to conduct private sales.  It’s not the business of the rest of the forum members to sit as jury if things go awry, either criticising the buyer or waving pitchforks at the seller.  The Trading Feedback section is there to serve as a recommendation - or warning - to others on anyone’s trading behaviour.

@p_jay78 - you should at least respond to chenzman’s messages on this.  Not doing so puts you in breach of forum rule #1.
    I actually think it’s quite an interesting discussion and it’s useful to see how people perceive things  differently. By discussing it that could potentially help resolve this issue and help other people avoid the same situation.

I always find it amusing when people make posts about shutting down threads because they don’t like what’s being said but they always make sure they get their twopenneth in. “I don’t like people being judge and jury, however, here’s what I think...”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    @Cols I agree. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:

I actually think it’s quite an interesting discussion and it’s useful to see how people perceive things  differently. By discussing it that could potentially help resolve this issue and help other people avoid the same situation.

I always find it amusing when people make posts about shutting down threads because they don’t like what’s being said but they always make sure they get their twopenneth in. “I don’t like people being judge and jury, however, here’s what I think...”
    Once again I agree with the fish wot hates my chips.

Bye!

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited March 2020
    Cols said:

Indeed.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
    Seller was on here (7th) yesterday, so its reasonable to assume he saw the pm’s and posts, bit naughty not to respond......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    It shows how differently we perceive these things...

For me the damage to the pickup is the important one - it's ugly, obvious and impossible to not see. The finish cracks - and they are *finish* cracks, not in the neck or even the body - are normal on this type of guitar and could even have been there from new. The dents on the side of the neck at the first fret look like hanger damage and could also possibly have been done in the shop it came from, and I can't see the others - although that doesn't mean they can't be felt.

The issue is the seller's description and (lack of) response. It doesn't make any difference if the buyer is 'picky' or bought a used guitar - the pickup cannot possibly be described as "new and unmarked", and could not have happened in transit either.

Just my opinion and that's all I'm going to say here.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited March 2020
    I suppose this is the problem you run into when buying a second hand guitar sight unseen via a private sale.

When selling I much prefer to meet a buyer face to face, that way I can make sure they are 100% happy with the guitar before parting with their hard earned cash. I know this narrows down my market somewhat but it helps me keep my sanity!

Yesterday I had a chap make a 10 hour round trip to pick up the Gretsch Annie he’d bought from me. He was happy to make the trip and was thankful I wanted to make sure the guitar was all that he was expecting before he handed the cash over.

I am also reluctant to buy a second hand guitar without first getting my hands on it and giving it the once over. That way if I don’t pick up issues it’s my own fault.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    What a sad post. The unnecessary criticism of the buyer from some members is a disgrace.

I think the OP has taken it well - in his shoes I’d be telling each and every one you to help yourselves to a great big slice of fuck off.

The price paid is irrelevant, the guitar received  was simply not as described. Any other ‘opinion’ is invalid. 

OP - I hope the seller does the right thing.

Previously known as stevebrum
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 32reaction image Wisdom
  • chenzmanchenzman Frets: 196
    @Iamnobody i too am surprised at some of these comments however am trying to keep it civil to get this resolved. 

I didn’t take making the issue public lightly. I contacted the seller, no response. I contacted the mods/admin team privately, no response. I therefore made the choice to openly state the issues in hope the seller may come to his senses and at least respond. Never at any point did I think I would be criticised, how stupid of me to think otherwise
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7346
    To a totally obsessed gear head like me this place is a godsend . I can pick up used gear from people I trust and in a lot of cases guys I’ve had a pint with in the past.

Stories like this are frustrating as they can be so easily resolved . I can understand both sides of this story up to a point . The point where I lose any sympathy with the seller is the lack of response.

if it were me in his shoes I would immediately refund it and get the guitar back because in our little community your reputation is important - this isn’t EBay.

I won’t be buying anything from the guy going forward - not because he deliberately mis described the guitar because more than likely he didn’t, I’m sure it was an innocent thing but totally ignoring communication is really bad form (unless he’s got a bloody good reason for it)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    Iamnobody said:
    What a sad post. The unnecessary criticism of the buyer from some members is a disgrace.

I think the OP has taken it well - in his shoes I’d be telling each and every one you to help yourselves to a great big slice of fuck off.

The price paid is irrelevant, the guitar received  was simply not as described. Any other ‘opinion’ is invalid. 

OP - I hope the seller does the right thing.

Is it? Why post on a forum asking for opinions then?
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2020
    chenzman said:
    He has visited this site since and not responding to my concerns.

Is there anything you would be able to suggest to try to get this resolved? 

CMW335 said:

He didn't ask for opinions on whether he was being picky/out of order/a c*** 

He asked the above. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    chenzman said:
    He has visited this site since and not responding to my concerns.

Is there anything you would be able to suggest to try to get this resolved? 

CMW335 said:

He didn't ask for opinions on whether he was being picky/out of order/a c*** 

He asked the above. 

Sure but he laid out all the detail on it too and so is inviting opinion or are we only allowed to respond to the parts of his post that he wants us to agree with?

I feel sympathy he isn’t happy with the purchase and we all agree the seller should be responding but if your going to post on a public forum you have to be prepared for the possibility that not everyone will have the same view
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    £1400 seems like a decent price even for something with minor flaws which TBH apart from the pickup mark I can't even see.
    I know it's described as unmarked but the price would take the sting out of the barely visible blemishes. You're paying almost a thousand quid less for it than a new one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    £1400 seems like a decent price even for something with minor flaws which TBH apart from the pickup mark I can't even see.
    I know it's described as unmarked but the price would take the sting out of the barely visible blemishes. You're paying almost a thousand quid less for it than a new one.
    Don’t waste your time mate our opinions are invalid  :s
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.