Things I just don't get.....

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Year of birth guitars... It makes literally no difference and you will end up selling it.

Ooh I don't usually like blue Les Paul's but I love that 
........ Lies... You like blue les paul then. 

"Oh please dont bump this again it's torture I may have to buy it" ........... You won't buy it.

"I wouldn't buy a guitar that's made in the far east"....... But you will pay 1k for an iPhone, or Samsung s20? 

Feeler..... I don't really want to sell.. Don't bloody sell it then. 

Trade only no cash price..... So your going to turn down the means to buy any guitar you desire? 

I have prob been guilty of one of these at some point. 

Over to you. 

10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    “Bought for a project that never happened” 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    'Has it got (insert fabulous pick-up type) pick-ups in it?'

'Yes'.

Silence.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

No trades please. 

"Hi, would you consider trading for an oboe? It's a really good one."

This actually happened a couple of years ago. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Constant flipping, and variations on it.

“I sold one of these and I really miss it” when talking about some sort of modern pedal, not a rare old guitar. Well buy another one then!

“Last in first out”. Surely least liked first out would be more sensible?

I’ve bought and sold a huge amount of gear too, but I don’t get the way some people seem to churn through it without any apparent need to or aim. Is it boredom, or some kind of strange consumerist disorder?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Weight?

About 8lbs.

Silence.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Constant flipping, and variations on it.

“I sold one of these and I really miss it” when talking about some sort of modern pedal, not a rare old guitar. Well buy another one then!

“Last in first out”. Surely least liked first out would be more sensible?

I’ve bought and sold a huge amount of gear too, but I don’t get the way some people seem to churn through it without any apparent need to or aim. Is it boredom, or some kind of strange consumerist disorder?

It's an end in itself.

I played guitar for about 15 years without really trying any gear so flipping was a way to discover what I liked and what worked.

It did get to a point where it was to cover up my boredom with music and maybe life in general.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    ICBM said:
    Electric guitars are strange instruments, different to most others in how we regard them in my experience.

They're not really a solo instrument,  they're specifically designed to be flashy and for showing off under stage lights, yet there are huge numbers of people (men, let's be honest) who never leave the house with them or play with anyone else, who "must" have this or that feature and who get through dozens of them for reasons nobody in their right mind can figure out. 

There are musical instruments which are much more suitable for home use which have an extensive solo repertoire, but nobody buys twelve of those or tries a different model to see if it's a "better" one every few weeks. 

It must be a weird mixture of teen nostalgia, fantasy and adult priced sweet jar colour fetishism. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 29reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    edited April 2020
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    Electric guitars are strange instruments, different to most others in how we regard them in my experience.

They're not really a solo instrument,  they're specifically designed to be flashy and for showing off under stage lights, yet there are huge numbers of people (men, let's be honest) who never leave the house with them or play with anyone else, who "must" have this or that feature and who get through dozens of them for reasons nobody in their right mind can figure out. 

There are musical instruments which are much more suitable for home use which have an extensive solo repertoire, but nobody buys twelve of those or tries a different model to see if it's a "better" one every few weeks. 

It must be a weird mixture of teen nostalgia, fantasy and adult priced sweet jar colour fetishism. 
    I think there's definitely an element of disorder to it... certainly with me anyway. I did go through s period of flipping guitars a year or so ago, to the point that several of my friends joked about it. I've got 3 that I'm very happy with now, and in the "resolutions for 2020" thread (remember that? It was about 10 months ago, in January!) I said that I was going to try & get through the year without buying or selling any guitars... I still find myself looking though, and wanting a new guitar just because I want a new guitar... anguished 

Incidentally, of all the guitars I flipped, the one I regret getting rid of is the Squier Contemporary Active Strat. That was a great guitar, and it kicked my Charvel's arse
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    Wheni played guitar live, I would have 4 or 5, now I don't it's one electric and one acoustic, if I didn't jam with friends I would probably have just an acoustic, but I'm so glad the flipping, and buying is pretty much over, as it's all really a facade, however enjoyable it is 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• No trades please. 

"Hi, would you consider trading for an oboe? It's a really good one."

This actually happened a couple of years ago. 

How did the oboe lessons work out for you?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 235
    In addition to the above is too much disposable income too, a major factor that keeps the MI industry afloat 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    I don't get why people put WTB ads for budget pick ups Iron gear et al are so cheap new and good value for money why consider second hand.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    p90fool said:

Have you read my psychiatrist's notes?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Weight?

About 8lbs.

Silence.
    Weight?

About 130kg.

Silence.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    The “will only trade” ads always puzzle me too. Why not take cash as well? Unless it’s a scam of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    Interested.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    How did the oboe lessons work out for you?
    Well, this one time at Band camp...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    “Please read description”

No, I’ll buy blind if it’s all the same to you. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom