What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited April 2020
    “If you’re reading this you’ll already know what you’re looking at.”

Errrr? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318

Year of birth guitars... It makes literally no difference and you will end up selling it.

Yes but it’s a perfect excuse to spend a shed load of cash on guitar shaped nitrocellulose.

p90fool said:

It must be a weird mixture of teen nostalgia, fantasy and adult priced sweet jar colour fetishism. 
    Ahh, Boss pedals; been there, done that; the sickly, over full feeling of having consumed too many.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    JezWynd said:

Year of birth guitars... It makes literally no difference and you will end up selling it.

Yes but it’s a perfect excuse to spend a shed load of cash on guitar shaped nitrocellulose.
    It wouldn't be of you happen to find a keeper made in the same year that gas won't make you sell in a year 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "Hands down the best guitar I've ever played/owned"

Well why are you selling it then?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    edited April 2020
    "Hands down the best guitar I've ever played/owned"

I have to plead guilty to that one - I sold the best-sounding electric guitar I've ever owned after I'd had it about a couple of months. A 1977 Gibson Les Paul Signature.

The neck profile gave me hand cramps. I really tried to live with it, but every time I played it the time before my hand started to lock up and hurt got shorter and shorter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    ICBM said:
    some kind of strange consumerist disorder?
    Stock Home Syndrome.  =)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    "Hands down the best guitar I've ever played/owned"

I have to plead guilty to that one - I sold the best-sounding electric guitar I've ever owned after I'd had it about a couple of months. A 1977 Gibson Les Paul Signature.

The neck profile gave me hand cramps. I really tried to live with it, but every time I played it the time before my hand started to lock up and hurt got shorter and shorter.
    It not the best playing guitar then as you could play it ;) 
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    gringopig said:
    I've only ever bought a guitar to flip once. It was a pink Hello Kitty Squier Stratocaster. I made a small profit on it. All the rest I have sold because I had my eye on something else and they were the victims. Mostly I have lost on them big time.

All these overpriced second hand Fender custom shop guitars being touted at new prices though....

♚NEW, WELL. USED ACTUALLY♚FENDER Custom Shop 1943 RELIC SCROTOCASTER Ltd♚DOLLAR BILL GREEN♚WAY OVERPRICED!!♚REAL DEAL 1000%

I suppose if people want their wares to sit on ebay for ever, they can price at over £2200 if they like. Just have a look at the sold listings though...
    If I do a parts built strat, i'm stealing 'Scrotocaster'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    I mean, that OP seems like a fairly rudimentary list of things to not get. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    rico said:
    If I do a parts built strat, i'm stealing 'Scrotocaster'
    That’ll be a keeper … or, should I say, retainer?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    The “will only trade” ads always puzzle me too. Why not take cash as well? Unless it’s a scam of course. 
    In my head this often easier. I  love my current marshall but fancy trying a Deluxe Reverb. But I don't want to just sell the Marshall and have no amp and hope a used deluxe reverb comes along in my price range. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    I deeply apologise, I'll think of some more complex things I don't get.

Man's inhumanity to man? 
    Who invented the skip?
    Sundays. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    YOB guitar - been there, done it, sold it. Even advised others against it....

But, I haven’t deleted my eBay search and no doubt will have another go at some point. It’s still strangely appealing even though I should know better.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    boogieman said:
    The “will only trade” ads always puzzle me too. Why not take cash as well? Unless it’s a scam of course. 
    In my head this often easier. I  love my current marshall but fancy trying a Deluxe Reverb. But I don't want to just sell the Marshall and have no amp and hope a used deluxe reverb comes along in my price range. 

I've done this for completely sensible reasons.

I had an amp that wasn't keeping up at gigs so I needed to trade it for something louder as I couldn't be without something.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    I’ve bought and sold a huge amount of gear too, but I don’t get the way some people seem to churn through it without any apparent need to or aim. Is it boredom, or some kind of strange consumerist disorder?
    Electric guitars are strange instruments, different to most others in how we regard them in my experience.

They're not really a solo instrument,  they're specifically designed to be flashy and for showing off under stage lights, yet there are huge numbers of people (men, let's be honest) who never leave the house with them or play with anyone else, who "must" have this or that feature and who get through dozens of them for reasons nobody in their right mind can figure out. 

There are musical instruments which are much more suitable for home use which have an extensive solo repertoire, but nobody buys twelve of those or tries a different model to see if it's a "better" one every few weeks. 

It must be a weird mixture of teen nostalgia, fantasy and adult priced sweet jar colour fetishism. 
    It's a great point well made that I agree with almost entirely aside from the electric guitar isn't a solo instrument; for the majority of the time it isn't but there is quite a significant sub genre of solo electric guitar players (who play without a drum track etc), I'd say quite a few of my favourite guitarists are ones in the very genre.

I'm in agreement about how guitars are a weird instrument, I can't imagine people who play other musicians like the bassoon would have 20 in their living room.
  • "she"

*Shudder*
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • "this guitar owes me". You've made idiosyncratic changes, which MAY make me prefer your example of a particular guitar. 
    Especially when referring to partscasters- once you've built it all the parts are used and your price adjusted appropriately. Don't try to charge me for your labor time either (unless you're Feline/GSP/SC Relics/other known professional). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 508
    "edge of breakup" 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    I deeply apologise, I'll think of some more complex things I don't get.

Man's inhumanity to man? 
    Who invented the skip?
    Sundays. 
    Well is it really hard to get why someone would like a thing from the year they were born? 

I will stop being a Buzz Killington now. :)