Things I just don't get.....

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4507
    edited April 2020
    soma1975 said:
    boogieman said:
    The “will only trade” ads always puzzle me too. Why not take cash as well? Unless it’s a scam of course. 
    In my head this often easier. I  love my current marshall but fancy trying a Deluxe Reverb. But I don't want to just sell the Marshall and have no amp and hope a used deluxe reverb comes along in my price range. 

I’ve done “only looking for trades” several times primarily because with a wife and three young kids, cash just evaporates in my life. If I sold something and had a grand sitting waiting for the right purchase to come along, I fucking guarantee the boiler would pack up.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    ... because with a wife and three young kids, cash just evaporates in my life...
    I don't need to save for a rainy day, I need cover for constant fucking drizzle.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    ... because with a wife and three young kids, cash just evaporates in my life...
    I don't need to save for a rainy day, I need cover for constant fucking drizzle.
    I wish I could LOL and wis at the same time...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    A few others that haven't been mentioned.

"The wife will kill me"

No she won't. And who cares what she thinks (unless of course she's a complete psychopath).

"Handmade Stagg guitar"

Sorry to disappoint you, but it really isn't handmade. Neither is your Encore.

"How would you describe the sound/feel of the neck compared to a_______?

I have no idea how to describe sound in the way you interpret it. You know I don't. You also know these sorts of things are subjective. Everyone does.

"If only you were nearer/collection only"

It's like transport doesn't exist. Or boxes. Or bubble wrap. Or couriers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I love everything about this guitar,the feel the sound its just fantasic my dream axe....but it's just the wrong colour....WTF.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    W.T.B fender 90s usa standard strat rosewood neck 
    typical answers...

I've got a 80s blade strat maple neck if your interested? 

Got  a esp strat with a floyd rose beats any usa fender.

I want a fender 90s usa standard strat with r/w neck !
    why do people offer different guitars ? 

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    Fez said:
    I don't get why people put WTB ads for budget pick ups Iron gear et al are so cheap new and good value for money why consider second hand.
    I have this exact ad 
    The reason is that i'm unemployed and yes i know they are cheap but why not try for a couple of weeks and save yourself £30 ,
    you may be one of those who say "£30 saving i wouldnt bother

When i was employed i might agree, but not now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 380
    >>> Rare <<< 

its a guitar .... most of the time two bits of wood bolted or glued together,  the world is full of them. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902

Johnw84 said; That sounds about right. Then there's the warranty, the "grey market", boxes, remaining warranty, acting as a middle man of anything goes wrong - just buy a new one! They can be a funny bunch.
    Ha ha yes, that is all ringing massive bells :) I’m never sure why people have to have the original boxes. I keep mine religiously because I know it’ll absolutely help to sell things if I decide to move them on, but honestly, what difference does it really make? Strange lot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Lewy said:
    soma1975 said:
    boogieman said:
    The “will only trade” ads always puzzle me too. Why not take cash as well? Unless it’s a scam of course. 
    In my head this often easier. I  love my current marshall but fancy trying a Deluxe Reverb. But I don't want to just sell the Marshall and have no amp and hope a used deluxe reverb comes along in my price range. 

I’ve done “only looking for trades” several times primarily because with a wife and three young kids, cash just evaporates in my life. If I sold something and had a grand sitting waiting for the right purchase to come along, I fucking guarantee the boiler would pack up.

Ah, starting to make sense now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    I've never understood the appeal of "case candy".

I bought the guitar to play it, not to look at the sodding hang tag.

Also, if you use phrases such as "collector alert" in your listing, all you've achieved is saving me the time of looking at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    edited April 2020
    mark123 said:
    Fez said:
    I don't get why people put WTB ads for budget pick ups Iron gear et al are so cheap new and good value for money why consider second hand.
    I have this exact ad 
    The reason is that i'm unemployed and yes i know they are cheap but why not try for a couple of weeks and save yourself £30 ,
    you may be one of those who say "£30 saving i wouldnt bother

When i was employed i might agree, but not now.

Agreed. It's not for me to judge someone else's level of skintness and therefore right to try and get some new pickups. 

However the chap with the post for the last year that gets bumped wanting temple pedalboard plates when they are like £3 make s me laugh. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Stuckfast said:

Also, if you use phrases such as "collector alert" in your listing, all you've achieved is saving me the time of looking at it.
    Likewise "she", "plays like butter", "axe", "toanz", or any of the other usual guitar-speak wankery. Instant complete loss of interest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    ICBM said:
    Stuckfast said:

Likewise "she", "plays like butter", "axe", "toanz", or any of the other usual guitar-speak wankery. Instant complete loss of interest.
    Damn beat me to it!

"Plays like butter" is my bugbear, I'm always tempted to email a seller and ask if they have anything that plays like double cream?

Another one for me is "never been gigged", I mean unless your sid vicious or have the grace of a charging rhino using a guitar to do the actual thing it was designed for isnt going to kill it. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited April 2020
    Lewy said:
    soma1975 said:
    boogieman said:

Yep same for me - always end up having to sacrifice my precious guitar savings for boring family shit!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    beed84 said:

"The wife will kill me"

I think "edge of breakup" has already been mentioned. :)
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    "Cost me £800, looking for £790".
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    DiscoStu said:
    "Cost me £800, looking for £790".
    Plus postage
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Apologies if already mentioned but I don't get "looks great, mind if I ask why you're selling"?

I want the money more than I want the thing, Beyond that, no explanation is required. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    I also have to plead guilty to owning a Year Of Birth guitar, but that's not why I bought it... I have to say it was *tiny* factor - just as in "that's quite cool" - but really it's a coincidence, and if I didn't like it as a guitar I would have no hesitation in selling it.
    What, was it a lute or something?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom