Things I just don't get.....

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    "this guitar owes me". You've made idiosyncratic changes, which MAY make me prefer your example of a particular guitar. 
    Especially when referring to partscasters- once you've built it all the parts are used and your price adjusted appropriately. Don't try to charge me for your labor time either (unless you're Feline/GSP/SC Relics/other known professional). 

Yep adding the RRP of all the parts you added to a guitar to the amount you want to get second hand is not going to happen.

Even more so when they start trying to add in the labour cost of the tech you used to install it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:
    I mean, that OP seems like a fairly rudimentary list of things to not get. 
    I deeply apologise, I'll think of some more complex things I don't get.

Man's inhumanity to man? 
    Who invented the skip?
    Sundays. 
    Well is it really hard to get why someone would like a thing from the year they were born? 

I will stop being a Buzz Killington now. :)

Yes.  To me, Yes it is,  :) 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    edited April 2020
    As per ICBM, I too sold one of the best guitars I've owned; a MIJ Duo Jet that I'd spent lots of time setting up. I recrowned some frets and added a tru arc, bigsby & treble bleeds. The neck just gave me hand pain after time. I didn't advertise it as such but the ebay buyer's feedback was "what a fabulous guitar!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "this guitar owes me". You've made idiosyncratic changes, which MAY make me prefer your example of a particular guitar. 
    Especially when referring to partscasters- once you've built it all the parts are used and your price adjusted appropriately. Don't try to charge me for your labor time either (unless you're Feline/GSP/SC Relics/other known professional). 

Yep adding the RRP of all the parts you added to a guitar to the amount you want to get second hand is not going to happen.

Even more so when they start trying to add in the labour cost of the tech you used to install it.
    Don't forget to call them "MY tech". There's another annoying thing. ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • The main thing I've never understood:

"My new guitar's on it's way. I can't wait til it arrives so I can replace the bridge, put some "X" pickups in it, rewire the controls, change the pots for "X", change the pickguard and maybe have it refinished."

Can never help but thinking these people are buying the wrong guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited April 2020
    The main thing I've never understood:

"My new guitar's on it's way. I can't wait til it arrives so I can replace the bridge, put some "X" pickups in it, rewire the controls, change the pots for "X", change the pickguard and maybe have it refinished."

Can never help but thinking these people are buying the wrong guitar!
    Bar the refinish, this is sort of me. Some of us just like tinkering with stuff and making it feel/sound like our own.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    It’s just something to occupy my time....it beats drowning kittens
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    tone1 said:
    It’s just something to occupy my time....it beats drowning kittens
    Thanks to the lockdown there’s time for both. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited April 2020
    Pickups have got to be one of the worst offenders. I think a lot of people have replaced the pickups before they even have the guitar! Then it doesn't matter one bit what the stock ones are like (in your mind) they're already shit!

When I got my main electric there was no magic "the one" moment (I thought it looked cool as :3). I actually struggled a bit to play it but I've had it for years now it's had a partial refret I've tweaked the setup over time to get it spot on, done a bit of work to the finish and cleaned the pots and stuff. Now it fits like a glove and I love it!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    edited April 2020
    When I read the types of comments people are mentioning I do sigh a bit. Gets me wondering, without the mindset that drives this sort of behaviour, would we have a forum? It would certainly be quieter!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I also have to plead guilty to owning a Year Of Birth guitar, but that's not why I bought it... I have to say it was *tiny* factor - just as in "that's quite cool" - but really it's a coincidence, and if I didn't like it as a guitar I would have no hesitation in selling it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Who invented the skip?

Edwin Walker - 1922

Can I close this thread now?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1158
    ^ did he invent any other crisps?
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    ^ did he invent any other crisps?
    Salt and vinegar Discos and Pickled Onion Monster Munch. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1158
    Think Edwin then was put on this earth just for me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    Fez said:
    I don't get why people put WTB ads for budget pick ups Iron gear et al are so cheap new and good value for money why consider second hand.

Because people like me have a limited budget and can't afford to throw £60 on a new set. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

No trades please. 

"Hi, would you consider trading for an oboe? It's a really good one."

This actually happened a couple of years ago. 

How did the oboe lessons work out for you?

It's a sore subject. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Pickups have got to be one of the worst offenders. I think a lot of people have replaced the pickups before they even have the guitar! Then it doesn't matter one bit what the stock ones are like (in your mind) they're already shit!

When I got my main electric there was no magic "the one" moment (I thought it looked cool as :3). I actually struggled a bit to play it but I've had it for years now it's had a partial refret I've tweaked the setup over time to get it spot on, done a bit of work to the finish and cleaned the pots and stuff. Now it fits like a glove and I love it!
    Guilty of trying a shit load of pickups in my SG, now I'm back to looking for a pair of the stock 490r/498t as I sold mine before realising that they're the best general purpose all-rounder pickups I've had in it and I just wanna put it back to how it was! Changing the pots etc out to a 50s wiring setup was a worthwhile upgrade over the PCB though just for the improved volume cleanup/treble bleed.

I've had the same kind of story as you with my guitar too. It was never my favourite but like a knob I sold my actual favourite guitar to fund something else (since sold) so I've been forced into using it for the past few years and finally got used to it.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Things I dont get?

Laid.. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Jetfire said:
    Things I don't get …
    … around much any more.  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom