Things I just don't get.....

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    Musicwolf said:
    "I haven't got the cash right now.  Can I pay you £XXX per week?"
    About 10 years ago, the bluegrass player Billy Strings saw what he believed was his father's old Martin dreadnought in a classifieds listing on the UMGC (Martin guitar forum) and, bering skint at the time, asked the seller if he could buy the guitar in instalments. Fortunately the seller had a bit of faith in Strings and agreed to hold the guitar for him whilst he paid for it in agreed instalments. You can see the original listing here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3809
    Musicwolf said:
    "I haven't got the cash right now.  Can I pay you £XXX per week?"
    About 10 years ago, the bluegrass player Billy Strings saw what he believed was his father's old Martin dreadnought in a classifieds listing on the UMGC (Martin guitar forum) and, bering skint at the time, asked the seller if he could buy the guitar in instalments. Fortunately the seller had a bit of faith in Strings and agreed to hold the guitar for him whilst he paid for it in agreed instalments. You can see the original listing here.

From what I could see quickly scanning the attached was that the seller agreed to hold the instrument whilst the buyer made a small number of payments.  The instrument didn't change hands until full payment was received.  Still a move fraught with complications should the buyer not complete the transaction.

I was thinking of cases where the 'buyer' has expected to take the goods ahead of full payment on the 'promise' of weekly payments, at zero interest rate and no guarantees.  If you want to purchase something without having the wherewithal then you need a loan.  This is what banks, credit card companies etc are there for.  If you can’t get a loan from these people it’s usually because you are a bad risk and likely to default on payments.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Those headphone amplifier thingies .............. for acoustics.

WTF ?

you can hear it , the soundhole is less than two feet from your ears ,

want more volume ?

STRUM HARDER.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    DiscoStu said:
    "Cost me £800, looking for £790".
    Also "it owes me...."

No it doesn't, it's a guitar.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    My guitar is listed at £600, had an offer via facebook, what do we think, scammer or not?

Hi there. I own a small business that buys and sells guitars, and i'm always looking out for new stock. If you were interested, i'd be able to offer £440, and arrange/pay for my own courier to collect from you at a time that was convenient. I could pay immediately via Paypal. Let me know if its of interest (i'm a genuine buyer, not a time-waster) - and good luck with your sale if not. Thanks very much Steve

I won't accept as I don't like payment via PP plus his offer's too low, just wondered if anyone had had the same contact???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    tony99 said:
    My guitar is listed at £600, had an offer via facebook, what do we think, scammer or not?

Hi there. I own a small business that buys and sells guitars, and i'm always looking out for new stock. If you were interested, i'd be able to offer £440, and arrange/pay for my own courier to collect from you at a time that was convenient. I could pay immediately via Paypal. Let me know if its of interest (i'm a genuine buyer, not a time-waster) - and good luck with your sale if not. Thanks very much Steve

I won't accept as I don't like payment via PP plus his offer's too low, just wondered if anyone had had the same contact???
    I,ve received similar. I assume it was from Steve Jordan who lists loads of guitars on Facebook and Gumtree. 

I did sell a guitar to him once with no problems.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    Collings said:
    tony99 said:

I,ve received similar. I assume it was from Steve Jordan who lists loads of guitars on Facebook and Gumtree. 

I did sell a guitar to him once with no problems.
    Was he very recently of this parish? Just a suspicion I had based upon the guitars  listed on here that ended up in his listings.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5034
    I don't think so - he's quite prolific though. I bought a Strat from him once and he told me that he was only selling his guitars because he was moving house. I didn't realise that he was a dealer - I've got no problems whatsoever from buying from a dealer, but it would have been nice to have given the full story.

It was a nice guitar though, and I know a few people that have bought a few things from him and I know one chap who's pretty pally with him, and there should be no problems if it's him.
    Call me Dave.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    Nah I don't know the guy. just £440 is a bit low, it's a usa strat. But I wouldn't accept pp anyway.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Of the things in this thread:

- "I paid this so that's what I want" - fine if you're in the right ball park. But if you paid way over the odds, I'm not doing the same just because you did.
    - Year of birth - I liked the idea as 40th gift to myself, then found that the stuff from my Y.O.B. was either crap or wildly overpriced. Decided to spend the same money on more than one guitar, am much happier.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    DeeTee said:
    Of the things in this thread:

- "I paid this so that's what I want" - fine if you're in the right ball park. But if you paid way over the odds, I'm not doing the same just because you did.
    - Year of birth - I liked the idea as 40th gift to myself, then found that the stuff from my Y.O.B. was either crap or wildly overpriced. Decided to spend the same money on more than one guitar, am much happier.
    I used to work in music retail, in the 70's, before the internet, when trading a guitar was usually done in shops or with friends, so I really got to see a lot of the unrealistic prices people expect.  Especially if you are discounting the guitar they are buying.

I have a YoB guitar, but it wasn't deliberate, I wanted a Les Paul goldtop with a wrap around and got a 1954.  I don't think anyone would complain about that.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    PhilKing said:
    I used to work in music retail, in the 70's, before the internet, when trading a guitar was usually done in shops or with friends, so I really got to see a lot of the unrealistic prices people expect.  Especially if you are discounting the guitar they are buying.

I have a YoB guitar, but it wasn't deliberate, I wanted a Les Paul goldtop with a wrap around and got a 1954.  I don't think anyone would complain about that.
    Ha, yeah! "Oh fine, I'll have 54 Goldtop then, if I must."

Mine was '79 and I was looking last year. Things like the '79 anniversary strat were expensive, and not to my taste. I could get better (for me) for less elsewhere. I thought about a 79 The Paul, but I realised I would be getting it for the sake of it, and I already have an SG that does something very similar.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    My main guitar and amps are all within 5years of my YOB ('76). Totally coincidence. 
    I'd never buy a guitar just because it's the same age as me but I suppose there is something quite pleasing about them being of a similar vintage. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    One thing that I genuinely don't understand is sellers saying "happy for the buyer to arrange their own courier". As a buyer, thats an instant "nope" from me. 

1. The seller still has to pack the item ready for shipping. 

2. The seller still has to give the item to the courier. If this handover is being organised by a third party then you're just creating more opportunities for hassle and for it to go wrong.

If you're selling, either organise the courier yourself or don't ship it. Getting the buyer to do it doesn't save you any work and has more chance of going wrong. No doubt this is some kind of weird risk transference thing but if the person packing the item isn't willing to accept the inherent risks of shipping then I don't really trust them to pack it properly in the first place. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    One thing that I genuinely don't understand is sellers saying "happy for the buyer to arrange their own courier". As a buyer, thats an instant "nope" from me. 

1. The seller still has to pack the item ready for shipping. 

2. The seller still has to give the item to the courier. If this handover is being organised by a third party then you're just creating more opportunities for hassle and for it to go wrong.

If you're selling, either organise the courier yourself or don't ship it. Getting the buyer to do it doesn't save you any work and has more chance of going wrong. No doubt this is some kind of weird risk transference thing but if the person packing the item isn't willing to accept the inherent risks of shipping then I don't really trust them to pack it properly in the first place. 
    Yeah, this always baffled me too. Arranging it is the easy bit.  Packaging it up and being in all day waiting for the courier is the hassle