Little inaccuracies that ruin in a film...

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    FarleyUK said:
    the_jaffa said:
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Stuckfast said:
    In Star Wars episode 7, whatever it was called... people on one planet watch the destruction of another solar system by the death-moon-thing in real time.

In reality the light would have taken years to reach them.
    If that was the only wrong-physics inaccuracy in a Star Wars movie, you'd be doing very well indeed :).

When I used to teach Physics I used to show the class the Death Star explosion and ask them what was wrong with it?  (The fact that you can hear it through a vacuum if you want to know).
    The way the craft fly during a dogfight, as if they have wings and there is air resistance is another classic physics fail
    And fire in space...

That's chemistry.  I was teaching physics - specifically waves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    crunchman said:
    Not a historical inaccuracy, but there are various bits in the Lord of the Rings films that are not true to the book.  Really annoys me.
    Yes, like the complete exclusion of Tom Bombadil. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    And those Jason Bourne films stray so far from the books, it's almost like a different story entirely. At first it grated. Now, I just take the films in the series as great action films in their own right.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    merlin said:
    crunchman said:
    Not a historical inaccuracy, but there are various bits in the Lord of the Rings films that are not true to the book.  Really annoys me.
    Yes, like the complete exclusion of Tom Bombadil. 
    Actually that's one of the good bits-O ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    the_jaffa said:
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Stuckfast said:
    In Star Wars episode 7, whatever it was called... people on one planet watch the destruction of another solar system by the death-moon-thing in real time.

If that was the only wrong-physics inaccuracy in a Star Wars movie, you'd be doing very well indeed :).

When I used to teach Physics I used to show the class the Death Star explosion and ask them what was wrong with it?  (The fact that you can hear it through a vacuum if you want to know).
    The way the craft fly during a dogfight, as if they have wings and there is air resistance is another classic physics fail
    But thats in part due to scenes in Star Wars (that's the name, anyone calling it A New  Hope deserves to have bigsbys fitted to their acoustic guitars) being re-creations of footage of ww2 dogfights. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    Stuckfast said:

I had a physics teacher who used the Alien tagline "in space no one can hear you scream" to explain that very same fact
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011

John_P said:
    Having the wrong tanks also irritates me.  Plenty of old war films are ruined by having 50s and 60s American tanks instead of panzers, tigers and Sherman’s.   Eg battle of the bulge.  

In The Blue Max a WW1 film about the pilots all the Germans fly British post ww1 Tiger moth aircraft.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    phil_b said:

In The Blue Max a WW1 film about the pilots all the Germans fly British post ww1 Tiger moth aircraft.
    I haven't seen that since I was a kid. I seem to remember it was quite good, and I was probably too young to notice that. I'll have to see if I can download a copy...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    ICBM said:
    phil_b said:

I haven't seen that since I was a kid. I seem to remember it was quite good, and I was probably too young to notice that. I'll have to see if I can download a copy...
    yes Its still a good film
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    Great thread. The 60Hz in the Bourne film is just awesome.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    In Raiders Of The Lost Ark there are crates which bear the Deutsche Afrika Korps symbol. The film is set in 1936 and the DAK wasn't formed until 1941.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

You guys need to get out more.

Oh, wait...………...

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    In Around the World in 80 days Phileas Fog doesn't fall off the edge of the flat earth. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In superman, superman isnt technically a man because he is an alien. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    In Harry Potter, magic isnt real. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I challenge anyone to find any inaccuracies in this though:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    In Around the World in 80 days Phileas Fog doesn't fall off the edge of the flat earth. 
    Although I would have won the prize on Pointless the other day for knowing that Jackie Chan is in it ( assuming we mean the remake).   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10534

Ooh that looks a good film !!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 701
    edited April 2020
    Neil said:
    VimFuego said:
    ICBM said:
    The helicopter at the end of the battle in Full Metal Jacket is a British Westland Wessex and not the similar Sikorsky H-34 - it has a large turbine exhaust tube on the side, whereas the H-34 was piston-engined. Later, when they're supposedly flying in it, the shadow on the ground is of a Bell Jet Ranger.

[/Aviation geek]
    one of the things that gets me about some Kubrick films is they were set in the US but filmed in the UK. So the 1st part of FMJ was filmed at Bassingbourne barracks in Herts, if you look when they're running around, the road markings are wrong. Same with Eyes Wide Shut. 
    And the big battle at the end of FMJ was at the derelict Beckton gas works in East London!

Kubrick liked living and filming in England.
    I thought it was more that Kubrick was terrified of flying?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    Danny1969 said:

Ooh that looks a good film !!
    It's magnificent!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd