6 million dollars for Kurt Cobains acoustic!!!

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Probably on Facebook Marketplace for $9.5 million by now 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    26reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    edited June 2020
    Loving the black humour / irony / appropriateness here. 

"this guy representing the leadbelly estate wants to sell me leadbelly's guitar for five hundred thousand dollars. I even asked David Geffen personally if he'd buy it for me".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Who actually owned it at this point?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    So I take it you don’t think I got a bargain then?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1376
    I think Kurts daughter gifted it to her ex-husband and was unable to recover it in the divorce
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like to offer my congratulations to Joe Bonanassa on his ngd.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Probably on Facebook Marketplace for $9.5 million by now 
    Auction house not happy that their original ad wording is being used now as well! 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    That seems a crazy price to me. Most artist guitars are expensive because guitar people care about them. Cobain wasn't exactly a 'guitarist's guitarist', and grunge seems far less culturally relevant now than most things that came before and after. Do people still spend time thinking about him and his music?
    10reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16972
    barnstorm said:
    That seems a crazy price to me. Most artist guitars are expensive because guitar people care about them. Cobain wasn't exactly a 'guitarist's guitarist', and grunge seems far less culturally relevant now than most things that came before and after. Do people still spend time thinking about him and his music?
    Yes

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    Nirvana MTV Unplugged is an iconic reference point for a generation, whether or not they play guitar - probably as much or even more so than Hendrix at Woodstock was in the late 60s.

Personally, I'm not a big Nirvana fan even though their cultural influence was enormous and Kurt was quite a big influence on me as a guitarist - which sounds counterintuitive I know, but it is true. Would I pay that much for his guitar? No, of course not. I recently had one of the pickups that's in it too - the original DeArmonds were disconnected apparently, it was the Bartolini soundhole pickup which was used - but I sold it recently... just didn't give me the sound I wanted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16972
    Have to say though, surely Kris Knobsacks harmony made buck Owens American is the most iconic guitar from MTV unplugged.   The striped one played by Pat Smear
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4697
    edited June 2020
    barnstorm said:
    Yes and that’s why it sold for that amount, there is a generation out there that “grunge” was their punk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    So is this now the most expensive guitar sold? Makes Greeny Les Paul look a bargain! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12593
    WezV said:
    barnstorm said:
    Yes

Not only is the unplugged probably the main point of the grunge era nirvana appears to be the ‘cool’ old band for the yoof guitar types. My 15 year old daughter and her friends are way more into nirvana than Beatles stones led zep etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3177
    We just don’t realise how much spare change some people have! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    munckee said:
    WezV said:
    barnstorm said:
    Yes

Not only is the unplugged probably the main point of the grunge era nirvana appears to be the ‘cool’ old band for the yoof guitar types. My 15 year old daughter and her friends are way more into nirvana than Beatles stones led zep etc. 
    Yes indeed. Like it or not that performance is one of the most iconic performances ever recorded. 

Nirvana were not even my favourite grunge band but without doubt they were the biggest and most influential band out there and probably still are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    I find it interesting that when this is being discussed on FB, it always comes up with "He wasnt even that good a guitarist". 

75 million record sales prove that him and Nirvana wrote some good songs that people like to listen to. 

"But its all because of popular culture MAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN"

Well, maybe but does that mean he couldn't write a good song because of his "involvement" in popular culture? He wrote some bangers. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3332
    WezV said:
    Have to say though, surely Kris Knobsacks harmony made buck Owens American is the most iconic guitar from MTV unplugged.   The striped one played by Pat Smear
    I agree, Pat’s guitar on there was it for me as a teen -possibly still is somewhere at the back of my mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    Jetfire said:
    I find it interesting that when this is being discussed on FB, it always comes up with "He wasnt even that good a guitarist".
    That wasn't my point at all. The price shocked me because:

– He's not a player whose gear is a constant source of fascination to guitar nerds.

– My impression is that there's not much discussion of him these days, and that his music isn't part of life in the same way as records by other big acts of the past.

Grunge has always seemed a relatively inessential part of music history to me and I struggle to see many of the songs enduring, but young people always get to decide what matters in the end, so if Munckee says the yoof are rediscovering the music and care about it, then I'm wrong.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Do you think a young person just dropped 6 million dollars on this?