6 million dollars for Kurt Cobains acoustic!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    birtner said:
    Newsflash: guitar forum that a small minority  discusses the tonal merits of swapping tiny capacities in mass produced amplifiers don’t get popular culture!
    Fixed it for you ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    thegummy said:
    I wouldn't normally be surprised by this amount being paid but I'm surprised that this, which wasn't Cobain's main guitar got so much more than the black Strat which was Gilmour's main most iconic guitar.

I would have thought Gilmour was at least as important a name, if not more.

Am I mistaken and the MTV Unplugged concert actually was more iconic than the Mevermind album at the time?
    It’s not necessarily about who was more important... and that’s a subjective thing anyway. My brother is a huge death metal/grindcore/ohgodpleasemakeitstop fan and if you asked him about Chuck Schuldiner’s guitar abilities vs Dave Gilmour’s, I’m pretty sure he would ask who Dave Gilmour was.

And the prices don’t necessarily reflect importance either, it’s just who had the money at the time. If Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg all happened to be massive Slayer fans and got into a bidding war then Jeff Hanneman’s ESP could easily become the most expensive guitar of all time, and this conversation would start all over again.

(I’m chuckling to myself now at the thought of those three moshing around their living rooms to Raining Blood) :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    edited June 2020
    impmann said:
    Never understood the love for Nirvana. Never will. Never understood why this guitar Or performance  was ‘iconic’. 

Then again I am responsible for the advert that ran the following week after Kurt’s death in Melody Maker...
    ”Wanted Singer/Guitarist for Seattle-based grunge band. Must have bulletproof head “

I had some replies.

That's disgusting. What kind of a sick person would do that? You abysmal individual.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 748
    thegummy said:

In 2020? Not even close.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Must be one hell of a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    I wouldn't normally be surprised by this amount being paid but I'm surprised that this, which wasn't Cobain's main guitar got so much more than the black Strat which was Gilmour's main most iconic guitar.

Am I mistaken and the MTV Unplugged concert actually was more iconic than the Mevermind album at the time?
    It’s not necessarily about who was more important... and that’s a subjective thing anyway. My brother is a huge death metal/grindcore/ohgodpleasemakeitstop fan and if you asked him about Chuck Schuldiner’s guitar abilities vs Dave Gilmour’s, I’m pretty sure he would ask who Dave Gilmour was.

And the prices don’t necessarily reflect importance either, it’s just who had the money at the time. If Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg all happened to be massive Slayer fans and got into a bidding war then Jeff Hanneman’s ESP could easily become the most expensive guitar of all time, and this conversation would start all over again.

(I’m chuckling to myself now at the thought of those three moshing around their living rooms to Raining Blood) :lol:
    Aye between this and snags' comment it explains it totally.
    Moloch said:
    thegummy said:

In 2020? Not even close.
    I think I was underestimating how much Kurt is still a big name outside the muso world.

I'd have thought most people, who aren't specifically in to old rock music, were disinterested in nirvana and may or may not have heard his name.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    His old Boss DS1 just sold for $9000!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Not even true bypass ffs
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    His cardigan from Unplugged in New York went for $334,000 last year.

It is often voted as one of the best live albums. Well worth a listen even if you are not a fan of grunge.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Even after all these years I hate the G-word. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1085
    Not sure how anyone can credibly doubt Nirvana's cultural impact? I was the right age at the time, but even fashion designers were copying shitty plaid shirts on the catwalk LOL They were massive. Can't remember the last time I listened to them, but they're a great band!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    I was thinking... rock’n’roll was late 50s, punk was mid 70s, grunge was early 90s - roughly every 18 years.

What youth music movement happened around 2010? Did I miss it? (Quite likely, I was 43 then.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    edited June 2020
    impmann said:
    Never understood the love for Nirvana. Never will. Never understood why this guitar Or performance  was ‘iconic’. 

Then again I am responsible for the advert that ran the following week after Kurt’s death in Melody Maker...
    ”Wanted Singer/Guitarist for Seattle-based grunge band. Must have bulletproof head “

I had some replies.

I hope you're joking here? You really placed that ad? If you did, what a sad sad individual you were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    barnstorm said:
    That seems a crazy price to me. Most artist guitars are expensive because guitar people care about them. Cobain wasn't exactly a 'guitarist's guitarist', and grunge seems far less culturally relevant now than most things that came before and after. Do people still spend time thinking about him and his music?

Absolutely. He is a song writer, front man, and anti-guitar hero. He brought the underground to the masses. Nirvana changed my outlook on music when I was about 11 years old. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    ICBM said:
    I was thinking... rock’n’roll was late 50s, punk was mid 70s, grunge was early 90s - roughly every 18 years.

What youth music movement happened around 2010? Did I miss it? (Quite likely, I was 43 then.)
    Grunge is back now IC, for sure but it's no longer in the realm of guitar bands. Kids in USA are no longer going the way of playing in bands but getting microphones/Garageband to make music. Like with the late 80's/early 90's there was a heroin epidemic in the USA, there's been one in the USA over the last 4-5 years and there's been a rap movement which has been reflecting this in the timespan. Like with grunge, there have been a few deaths of musicians before their times due to drugs and so on like Lil Peep, Juice World, Mac Miller etc. Maybe this particular movement hasn't smashed into the musical landscape as much as grunge did in the early 90's, but it's still significant.
    ICBM said:

The industry had changed by then, there was probably loads of different new styles all over the internet but the big labels were less likely to have got behind any of them to make them become the mainstream phenomena of the movements you mentioned.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    Kind of odd that a band who supposedly didn't care about image and used bog standard gear to play and record with are now linked to a 6 million dollar guitar and a cardigan that sold for hundreds of thousands...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Kind of odd that a band who supposedly didn't care about image and used bog standard gear to play and record with are now linked to a 6 million dollar guitar and a cardigan that sold for hundreds of thousands...
    Agree. I find that's the way with the instruments they championed eg Offsets which they largely played as they were cheap and now due to their success those instruments became really expensive.

As for the above, a similar thing happened with Punk when items belonging to the Sex Pistols were auctioned.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    ICBM said:

Grunge is back now IC, for sure but it's no longer in the realm of guitar bands. Kids in USA are no longer going the way of playing in bands but getting microphones/Garageband to make music. Like with the late 80's/early 90's there was a heroin epidemic in the USA, there's been one in the USA over the last 4-5 years and there's been a rap movement which has been reflecting this in the timespan. Like with grunge, there have been a few deaths of musicians before their times due to drugs and so on like Lil Peep, Juice World, Mac Miller etc. Maybe this particular movement hasn't smashed into the musical landscape as much as grunge did in the early 90's, but it's still significant.
    Yeh I was going to mention the influence on soundcloud hip hop, I don't know if that's the proper word for it any more but it's the xanax/face tattoos/emo thing that I am definitely too old for. I think the angst resonates with certain people today who aren't necessarily into guitars

https://djbooth.net/features/2019-04-05-kurt-cobain-undying-influence-on-hip-hop