6 million dollars for Kurt Cobains acoustic!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The greater public wouldn't know a single track from Bleach. 

Donald Trump's favourite album
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interestingly it was bought by the boss of Rode microphones in Sydney. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27845
    soma1975 said:

I don't believe nobody from "the greater public" knows About A Girl - it's the first track on unplugged 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73120
    soma1975 said:

I don't believe nobody from "the greater public" knows About A Girl - it's the first track on unplugged 
    My band plays Scoff, and judging by the usual crowd reaction I think it's quite well known.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MolochMoloch Frets: 753
    barnstorm said:
    That seems a crazy price to me. Most artist guitars are expensive because guitar people care about them. Cobain wasn't exactly a 'guitarist's guitarist', and grunge seems far less culturally relevant now than most things that came before and after. Do people still spend time thinking about him and his music?

'Do people still spend time thinking about the most iconic musician of the 1990s and his work', asked with zero irony on a forum on which 95% of the regular users frequently need to be reminded that the 1960s actually ended.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
    Omg more than David Gilmour's strat???
    That's too much!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Tell a teenager you saw Nirvana live and they react as I did when my parents told me they saw The Beatles.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    soma1975 said:

Would they know it from Bleach?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    ICBM said:
    soma1975 said:

My band plays Scoff, and judging by the usual crowd reaction I think it's quite well known.
    Great song. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27845
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Would they know it from Bleach?
    Is that important?

In any case, Nevermind is probably the single most influential rock record of the last 40 years (probably only Appetite and Joshua Tree come close). But the cool kids can't ever admit that so they have to obsess over the standard "I liked them before they were huge" trope 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702

if you wanted to play that game, alot of people dont know that the Black Album isnt Metallicas first album.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2649
    Not sure it matters how good a guitarist he was, or even how good an artist or songwriter.  Fact is he meant a lot to some ultra-rich guys who wanted to own this enough to bid the price up. If you're a billionaire £6m isn't a lot of money for something you really want to own.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I wouldn't normally be surprised by this amount being paid but I'm surprised that this, which wasn't Cobain's main guitar got so much more than the black Strat which was Gilmour's main most iconic guitar.

I would have thought Gilmour was at least as important a name, if not more.

Am I mistaken and the MTV Unplugged concert actually was more iconic than the Mevermind album at the time?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5461
    Sad for middle-aged guitarists, but Gilmour is nowhere near as big a figure in popular culture. No cult of personality stuff, no tabloid friendly 'interesting' life, no public drama, no dramatic and early death. He's just that guitarist from that Pink Floyd lot, you know, them as did The Wall and that other album about the moon or something. At least, I think that's his name. Boring looking fella, plays nice, slow miserable music.

Which isn't a comment on merit, musicianship or even my relative enjoyment of Floyd and Nirvana. It's just the awareness of people who don't actually care about this stuff. Hell, I bet most people couldn't name the members of Pink Floyd, whereas with Nirvana they'd go "Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, and that other one ..."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    @stickyfiddle ;

It is only important because that was my comment you replied to is all. 

And yes I did like them before they were cool. Saw what it I believe was their first UK gig at ULU. I still like them. Just not my faves. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:

if you wanted to play that game, alot of people dont know that the Black Album isnt Metallicas first album.. 
    Not really sure what that had to do with anything. I doubt the greater public could name another Metallica song than Enter Sandman, if that. 

In 2020 of course Nirvana have more cultural relevance than Floyd. They have more cultural relevance than Jimi, Zep and The Who too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73120
    soma1975 said:

I doubt the greater public could name another Metallica song than Enter Sandman, if that. 
    Nothing Else Matters.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You're not the greater public though are you? You're Jason Newstead. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 67
    Newsflash: guitar forum that discusses the tonal merits of swapping tiny capacities in mass produced amplifiers don’t get popular culture!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom