6 million dollars for Kurt Cobains acoustic!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73120
    Loobs said:

Maybe it was slightly harsh. I guess at his best, Vai can produce some slightly interesting music, at least earlier in his career. However, at its worst, to me, it's just an extended guitar solo over a cheesy backing track. And let's be honest - their playing isn't at the level of virtuosity of someone like Mahavishnu Orchestra-era John McLaughlin. 
    Still don't agree... I find Vai's later music more interesting, and I think he's a virtuoso by any standards, even if some of his stuff can sound like millions of notes for the sake of it.

But I'm not a fan of jazz-fusion at all. I understand why it's thought to be 'good', but whatever it is, I don't find interesting or listenable really. I'd rather listen to either Cobain *or* Vai.

One thing I can guarantee is that Nirvana connected with more people than all the virtuoso guitarists in history put together...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I can hear the Pixies influence slightly in Nirvana’s music, the quiet/loud/quiet dynamic, but really the two bands are worlds apart.

i hear more influnce from Black flag, Melvins and the Beatles in nirvana tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1380
    As a fan, but not a super fan, of the band I found this (there are others as well) quite interesting. Rick makes a strong argument for Cobain’s strength as a melody writer 

https://youtu.be/l1ZnWc-sFd0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    ICBM said:
    One thing I can guarantee is that Nirvana connected with more people than all the virtuoso guitarists in history put together...

I place a lot of value on musicians/bands that have inspired millions of kids to pick up guitars and form bands. Doesn't matter if you like the music or not, you have to respect that kind of influence... It's as worthy as teachers that inspire kids to learn.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    ICBM said:
    Loobs said:

Maybe it was slightly harsh. I guess at his best, Vai can produce some slightly interesting music, at least earlier in his career. However, at its worst, to me, it's just an extended guitar solo over a cheesy backing track. And let's be honest - their playing isn't at the level of virtuosity of someone like Mahavishnu Orchestra-era John McLaughlin. 
    Still don't agree... I find Vai's later music more interesting, and I think he's a virtuoso by any standards, even if some of his stuff can sound like millions of notes for the sake of it.

But I'm not a fan of jazz-fusion at all. I understand why it's thought to be 'good', but whatever it is, I don't find interesting or listenable really. I'd rather listen to either Cobain *or* Vai.

That's true. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16426
    barnstorm said:
    That seems a crazy price to me. Most artist guitars are expensive because guitar people care about them. Cobain wasn't exactly a 'guitarist's guitarist', and grunge seems far less culturally relevant now than most things that came before and after. Do people still spend time thinking about him and his music?
    We seem to get Pink Floyd mentioned on here on a daily basis so we have a very low standard in terms of what's culturally relevant! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1650
    impmann said:
    Never understood the love for Nirvana. Never will. Never understood why this guitar Or performance  was ‘iconic’. 

Then again I am responsible for the advert that ran the following week after Kurt’s death in Melody Maker...
    ”Wanted Singer/Guitarist for Seattle-based grunge band. Must have bulletproof head “

I had some replies.

Old school trolling. Well played
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    barnstorm said:
    That seems a crazy price to me. Most artist guitars are expensive because guitar people care about them. Cobain wasn't exactly a 'guitarist's guitarist', and grunge seems far less culturally relevant now than most things that came before and after. Do people still spend time thinking about him and his music?
    Ahhh . . . this is a rather ironic set of feelings that I have about this.  As someone said earlier in the thread, grunge was my punk, a key part of my awakening.  And the irony is that part of this awakening involved a not insignificant disdain for the old-at-heart and for the arses who'd (1) have the money to pay so much for a guitar or whatever "piece of history" and (2) actually use their money for the piece.  I mean, the buyer could have at least had the decency to spend that money on some public policy instead!

Nevermind and Unplugged make me feel young, which is the feeling I think a lot of us are looking for when we have these minor disputes about influences and legends and all that stuff.  I know some dudes who hate Nirvana because Nirvana ruined their hairband heyday parade . . . and I laugh at those dudes mercilessly.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    impmann said:
    Never understood the love for Nirvana. Never will. Never understood why this guitar Or performance  was ‘iconic’. 
    What is there to understand about other people liking music that you don't?

There's no great mystery or logic puzzle, it's as simple is them liking that music the way you like whatever music you like. There's no reason for either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 492
    Doesn't this beat the record set by the Gilmour's sale of the Black Strat last year? That was for charity, while this is for personal gain by Frances Cobain's ex-husband.
    soma1975 said:
    Don't get me wrong. I think he was great. I think he could write a good hook and a great melody. 

I just don't think if he has lived he would be as influential as he clearly is to the yoot. 
    I think that's almost definitely true.

When someone like that dies in their prime they're pretty much always seen as they were at the top, whereas if he continue and gradually made slightly worse records til he fizzled away, his reputation would gradually decrease.

There's a good example in hiphop with Nas and Biggie - they both made debut albums that were mind blowing and took the genre by storm. Nas then went on to make a string of poor to mediocre to okay albums and is seen as a great but only really that debut album was special. Biggie was killed in his prime and - in a kind of Schroedinger's Cat logic - could potentially - have gone on to have a full career at that level. So he's judged by the album he did release and never go the chance to make any disappointing albums.
    Aornic said:
    Doesn't this beat the record set by the Gilmour's sale of the Black Strat last year? That was for charity, while this is for personal gain by Frances Cobain's ex-husband.
    Seriously, that's who's selling it!?

I just assumed it was for charity. That's pretty horrible really.
  • AornicAornic Frets: 492
    thegummy said:
    Aornic said:

Seems so:

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    edited June 2020
    thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:
    Don't get me wrong. I think he was great. I think he could write a good hook and a great melody. 

I just don't think if he has lived he would be as influential as he clearly is to the yoot. 
    I think that's almost definitely true.

When someone like that dies in their prime they're pretty much always seen as they were at the top, whereas if he continue and gradually made slightly worse records til he fizzled away, his reputation would gradually decrease.

There's a good example in hiphop with Nas and Biggie - they both made debut albums that were mind blowing and took the genre by storm. Nas then went on to make a string of poor to mediocre to okay albums and is seen as a great but only really that debut album was special. Biggie was killed in his prime and - in a kind of Schroedinger's Cat logic - could potentially - have gone on to have a full career at that level. So he's judged by the album he did release and never go the chance to make any disappointing albums.
    If he had his way they would have seen out their label commitments and just released edgy non-commercial stuff that turned most people off. Frankly, the stuff of his that was a lot more interesting. 

He hated being as successful in the way he was, hated what Nevermind sounded like. Incesticide had a mixed reception and outside Heart Shaped Box In Utero wasn't received anywhere as well as Nevermind, even though in my mind it is a far better album. 

The greater public wouldn't know a single track from Bleach. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    thegummy said:
    Aornic said:

Sod that, if I had to have Courtney Love as a Mother In-Law I'd expect recompense too. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    Probably the most iconic gig Cobain ever did, and the most iconic guitar he ever played for one of the most influential and iconic musicians since Hendrix. 

The guy was a genius and I just wish he'd created more stuff. Just imagine how good the Foo Fighters would be with Kurt in it too..... 5 guitarists on stage at once ;) 

I reckon whoever bought that has got a bargain. There are lot of people in this world that $6m is peanuts to, and they'll be even wealthier after this pandemic. Same thing happened to classic cars after the last recession. Quantitative Easing just makes rich people richer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 456
    edited June 2020
    K
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 456
    Loobs said:
    I wouldn't pay 6 quid for it, besides Cobain was a loser who couldn't even play solos. 
    Knew him well did you?
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    I grew up not really liking “guitar” music all that much.

I remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I heard “Nevermind”. I can’t think of another album that draws me so clearly to one moment in my life 28 years ago. 

For me, it made guitar music cool again.

Whatever your position on Nirvana, my mint fiesta red Jagstang is now more valuable, right? ;)

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    soma1975 said:
    The greater public wouldn't know a single track from Bleach. 
    Sounds like they need to go to school.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom