6 million dollars for Kurt Cobains acoustic!!!

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1085
    The thing with cheap/crappy instruments is interesting. In this case 'unfashionable' offsets which are now very highly valued.

Same with early house and techno. You couldn't give Roland 808s/303s  away at the time the music was created which is why kids could afford them and abuse them in creative ways! 

Now you have to go somewhere like soundgas and take out a mortgage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We just don’t realise how much spare change some people have! 
    This!

I remember the rich kids back in school, one guy´s parents bought him a roadster just so he stopped riding his motorcycle. Other guy bought a farm because he felt like it.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    The thing with cheap/crappy instruments is interesting. In this case 'unfashionable' offsets which are now very highly valued.

Same with early house and techno. You couldn't give Roland 808s/303s  away at the time the music was created which is why kids could afford them and abuse them in creative ways! 

Now you have to go somewhere like soundgas and take out a mortgage
    Great point. As much as I love grunge from the early 90's (I mean I love it) the wave of electronic music from the UK in the early 90's like you describe above IMO was just as mind blowing albeit in different ways.
  • Jetfire said:
    I find it interesting that when this is being discussed on FB, it always comes up with "He wasnt even that good a guitarist". 

75 million record sales prove that him and Nirvana wrote some good songs that people like to listen to. 

"But its all because of popular culture MAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN"

Well, maybe but does that mean he couldn't write a good song because of his "involvement" in popular culture? He wrote some bangers. 

Gonna make myself some enemies here but, I hated each and every Nirvana song and didn´t shed a tear when Kurt had a gun after all.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    @kentuckyklira Did you laugh when he died? 

I wouldn't say I was a huge Nirvana fan back when they came out first. I liked them, and like them, but could pick and choose the albums. I wouldn't be too bothered with Incesticide and the live albums etc, I just have the 3 studio albums.
    I do like the way they just dispensed with the technical riffs and wrote some brilliant straight ahead rock songs. They could play obviously, maybe they couldn't shred, maybe they made a point of not shredding. It showed up how sh*t a lot of the hair rock was in any case which was a good thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @kentuckyklira Did you laugh when he died? 

I wouldn't say I was a huge Nirvana fan back when they came out first. I liked them, and like them, but could pick and choose the albums. I wouldn't be too bothered with Incesticide and the live albums etc, I just have the 3 studio albums.
    I do like the way they just dispensed with the technical riffs and wrote some brilliant straight ahead rock songs. They could play obviously, maybe they couldn't shred, maybe they made a point of not shredding. It showed up how sh*t a lot of the hair rock was in any case which was a good thing.
    I only laugh when gangsta rappers die.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    @kentuckyklira Did you laugh when he died? 

I was a big Nirvana fan back in the day, can remember where i was and who i was with when i got the news but I now seldom listen to their music, went right off it for a while but it doesn't stop the fact that Kurt was the main reason i picked a guitar up in 1990 and am still playing 30 years later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    I think it was also down to the fact that a lot of the grunge bands had different looks going on. Some had long hair, some had short hair, some wore tight jeans, some wore regular jeans. Some looked ordinary and sounded heavy, some looked like jocks and sounded heavy.
    As a 13 year old around 1990, I was learning my guitar from metal bands, and remember a lot of pressure from some friends about the fact I didn't have long hair. You weren't "accepted" if you didn't have long hair or would get laughed at. Which was bullsh*t in hindsight. So when I saw this new wave of bands kind of dressing like me, and not having long hair, and playing loud heavy music, I thought "yeah, that'll do me". Since then , the "long hair" thing isn't such a badge of ID in metal anymore... Every second person has long hair and tight jeans now!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    edited June 2020
    I think it was also down to the fact that a lot of the grunge bands had different looks going on. Some had long hair, some had short hair, some wore tight jeans, some wore regular jeans. Some looked ordinary and sounded heavy, some looked like jocks and sounded heavy.
    As a 13 year old around 1990, I was learning my guitar from metal bands, and remember a lot of pressure from some friends about the fact I didn't have long hair. You weren't "accepted" if you didn't have long hair or would get laughed at. Which was bullsh*t in hindsight. So when I saw this new wave of bands kind of dressing like me, and not having long hair, and playing loud heavy music, I thought "yeah, that'll do me". Since then , the "long hair" thing isn't such a badge of ID in metal anymore... Every second person has long hair and tight jeans now!
    One of my abiding memories of that time is Kurt Cobain dissing all the "short haired Guns n Roses fans". I mentioned to my friend that technically I was a short haired Guns n Roses fan, to which he replied "But you've always had short hair so that's alright"

I was 17 in 1990, and that whole period of getting into rock & metal, learning the guitar & growing into myself is absolutely crammed full of music: almost every memory from that period has music attached to it in one way or another. Nirvana are a big part of that, along with several other bands that marked me in some way;  and I can still remember vividly lying in bed one morning and hearing the news go from "shots have been heard at Kurt Cobain's house" to "Kurt Cobain is DEAD!!!" over a couple of hours
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    This thread kinda sums up guitarists on the whole.

Group A: "oh wow, that's kinda cool, I'm not a massive fan of person/guitart/brand/band but cool!" Combined with a general air of acceptance/may not fully agree but doesn't take up alot of their day

Or

Group 2: "omfg, talentless shits, he's hardly "insert person name here" of " insert band name here" and shouting at clouds

It's ok not to have an opinion on this ;)

Wasn't put out either way when K Cobain died. Yeah twas sad, but I was more put out when Layne Staley and Chris Cornell died. I was more into those two bands than Nirvana.
    Is 6 millions too much for a guitar. Yes. Ethically, I couldn't do it. I'd have to donate the dosh to some worthy cause instead...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12593
    Wasn't put out either way when K Cobain died. Yeah twas sad, but I was more put out when Layne Staley and Chris Cornell died. I was more into those two bands than Nirvana.
    Is 6 millions too much for a guitar. Yes. Ethically, I couldn't do it. I'd have to donate the dosh to some worthy cause instead...
    I'm a fan of nirvana, if the new owner dropped round and gave me the guitar I would have started typing my ebay post before he had even left and already have sent an email to my boss telling him I'm out and I'm not working my notice....
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Not surprised
    Pretty average lefty mark up
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom