6 million dollars for Kurt Cobains acoustic!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    edited June 2020
    Jetfire said:
    I find it interesting that when this is being discussed on FB, it always comes up with "He wasnt even that good a guitarist". 

75 million record sales prove that him and Nirvana wrote some good songs that people like to listen to. 

"But its all because of popular culture MAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN"

Well, maybe but does that mean he couldn't write a good song because of his "involvement" in popular culture? He wrote some bangers. 

For some reason there's a fairly sizable number of guitarists who have a really, really hard time accepting that song writing is a more important talent than guitar playing when it comes to selling records. It seems to really, really upset some of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone with enough money to buy this isn’t necessarily a guitar player. It’s a famous guitar from an iconic performance. Nirvana were my punk, with Teen Spirit landing when I was 16. Bound to be a few 40 or 50 something multi millionaires around willing to buy an iconic piece from their musical yoof. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited June 2020
    barnstorm said:
    Jetfire said:
    I find it interesting that when this is being discussed on FB, it always comes up with "He wasnt even that good a guitarist".
    That wasn't my point at all. The price shocked me because:

– He's not a player whose gear is a constant source of fascination to guitar nerds.

– My impression is that there's not much discussion of him these days, and that his music isn't part of life in the same way as records by other big acts of the past.

Grunge has always seemed a relatively inessential part of music history to me and I struggle to see many of the songs enduring, but young people always get to decide what matters in the end, so if Munckee says the yoof are rediscovering the music and care about it, then I'm wrong.
    That’s interesting. I’d say that for many people my age (early 40s) grunge was a massively essential part of music history. It made guitar based rock ok again after the hair metal nightmare, they went from underground to top of the charts with Nevermind, and even though I’m by no means a fashionista, the grunge uniform of jeans, plaid shirts etc was huge amongst teens/skaters etc. 
    Of the bands who came to prominence during my lifetime I’d say they may end up being the most iconic. 
    Kurt Cobain died on my birthday so as an angsty 17 year old, it did have a huge resonance for me, so I may have an inaccurate  perspective. 
    On a side note it always makes me feel my age when I see teens wearing nirvana smily face t shirts in the same way that I’d wear a Led Zepellin T shirt. To me, In Utero still seems like a new-ish album!  

Not it sure what he’d think of his guitar selling for that amount of cash, but with his Fender jagstang deal I do wonder whether he was softening his attitude to corporate money making. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    edited June 2020
    Generational perspectives I guess but grunge was for me the defining moment of my musical awaking and certainly amongst my peers too. The Grunge movement and Nirvana certainly inspired me to pick up a guitar and make some noise. 
    I’ve never liked technical music it leaves me cold but give me a three chord basket with screams and I’m hooked. 
    I’m 42 and still listen to at least one “grunge “ song a day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 643
    Not disputing at all how big a deal it was for the people who were there (of whom I am theoretically one) – just haven't really noticed its influence for quite a long time now. I taught for a bit (not guitar!) and the kids were into all sorts but grunge never featured. But maybe it will come back around, as suggested above, and matey from Rode will be able to turn a profit on the guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16972
    barnstorm said:
    Jetfire said:

– He's not a player whose gear is a constant source of fascination to guitar nerds.

Look at the obsession with offset guitars these days.  Surf music didn't cause it.

Or the rise in pawn shop  style guitars, either the vintage originals or the modern versions inspired by them.

Look at massive sections of the guitar modding community.

I think it's hard to ignore the grunge influence on modern gear choices.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    barnstorm said:
    Jetfire said:

– My impression is that there's not much discussion of him these days, and that his music isn't part of life in the same way as records by other big acts of the past.

Grunge has always seemed a relatively inessential part of music history to me and I struggle to see many of the songs enduring, but young people always get to decide what matters in the end, so if Munckee says the yoof are rediscovering the music and care about it, then I'm wrong.
    My guess would be that it probably was not bought by a guitarist, well a guitar nerd. 

This guitar is part of probably the most iconic live performance captured for an album. It’s an historical artefact now I guess.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    I wouldn't pay 6 quid for it, besides Cobain was a loser who couldn't even play solos. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Never understood the love for Nirvana. Never will. Never understood why this guitar Or performance  was ‘iconic’. 

Then again I am responsible for the advert that ran the following week after Kurt’s death in Melody Maker...
    ”Wanted Singer/Guitarist for Seattle-based grunge band. Must have bulletproof head “

I had some replies.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Loobs said:
    I wouldn't pay 6 quid for it, besides Cobain was a loser who couldn't even play solos. 
    Do you have 6 quid ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited June 2020
    barnstorm said:
    Not disputing at all how big a deal it was for the people who were there (of whom I am theoretically one) – just haven't really noticed its influence for quite a long time now. I taught for a bit (not guitar!) and the kids were into all sorts but grunge never featured. But maybe it will come back around, as suggested above, and matey from Rode will be able to turn a profit on the guitar!
    Really? I hear a big 90s influence in a lot of current bands. Wolf Alice's My Love Is Cool album for one sounds straight from that era. Mind you they went right off the boil on their 2nd album imo.

For me 90s is my favourite decade for music. So much good stuff and not just grunge. Although if we could just completely forget about britpop apart from Blur that'd be great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    As a huge fan of early 90s alt rock and the Seattle bands Cobain wouldn't make my top 5 and I find it funny how he has been deified just like Jim Morrison before him. Some brilliant songs but not a fave for me. Also I never need to hear SMTS ever again. 

But he played Martins and Signature Fenders and Mesa Boogies and wore cardigans so seems made for TGP. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    JerkMoans said:
    Probably on Facebook Marketplace for $9.5 million by now 
    It's already been sold on Facebook marketplace. Now up on Essex recording studios site for £12m !
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Never understood the love for Nirvana. Never will. Never understood why this guitar Or performance  was ‘iconic’. 

Then again I am responsible for the advert that ran the following week after Kurt’s death in Melody Maker...
    ”Wanted Singer/Guitarist for Seattle-based grunge band. Must have bulletproof head “

I had some replies.

classy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    barnstorm said:
    Jetfire said:

Sorry but this is completely off the mark in every way. He was also actually a class guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    I was just outbid at the last minute.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    barnstorm said:

Id respectfully say you are wong.

Its abit like saying Punk changed nothing. It changed everything for music.  Grunge did the same for music during its time. Maybe it didnt effect you so much but doesnt mean it hasnt effected others 100%. Id even go as far as to say that the Nevermind album cover is one of the most Iconic album covers of the 1990s and the songs are the same.  

How long does it need to be before its classed as endured? It came out in 1992 

Nirvana isnt classed as one of the technical band or having the same "feel" that the blues guys have been noted for, its more for the power, the punk ethic and inspiring everyone I went to school with and grew up with picking up guitars.  Unplugged was genius and frankly, best in class. His voice in "where did you Sleep Last Night" is full of emotion and his guitar was part of his voice. 

Ok Im done....  :3   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    Completely right. He was the voice of a generation. I don't think you can say that makes it 'inessential'. 

He was one of the finest songwriters of his generation, his guitar style was massively influential, he was sonically inventive and he managed to meld noise rock with pop in a way that nobody has really done quite so well since, IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    Most of the people who underestimate the impact of Nirvana are probably musicians.

The whole point is that Kurt's songs and the records the band made with them appealed enormously to non-musicians - especially the most impressionable of all, teenagers who feel a bit (or a lot) alienated from the rest of the world. Grunge was as important to that generation as punk was if you were a teenager in the mid 70s, or rock'n'roll was if you were one in the late 50s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 209
    Don’t know if anyone else saw that it was sold to the owner of Rode Mics... I think that’s cool , I can’t imagine it’ll be played ... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom