Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Dealers/Flippers

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^ - add to this - Reverb etc allows everyone to be the worlds finest/largest/best dealer - From whatever building they wish to be working from - The changing face of commerce
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    edited October 2020
    It annoys me more as a buyer than a seller. As I say, it’s no different from ticket touts in my view as it removes a fair priced commodity from affordable circulation just so someone can (try and) make a quick buck. 

At least as a seller I like to think I’m savvy enough to spot them so it doesn’t irk me as much in that sense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    ^^^^^^ - add to this - Reverb etc allows everyone to be the worlds finest/largest/best dealer - From whatever building they wish to be working from - The changing face of commerce
    But they aren't professional sellers. Thy don't offer a support service or any expertise. They are simply looking to sell with minimal responsibility and little come back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    edited October 2020
    I sold a car to a dealer once, and would you believe it, he put it up for sale straight away at a much higher price.

Unbelievable....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    Adey said:
    I sold a car to a dealer once, and would you believe it, he put it up for sale straight away at a much higher price.

Unbeleivable....
    Did he try and pretend he wasn’t a dealer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't really care. I was happy with what I got for it. He had the issue with selling it on again to try to make a profit.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I'm also missing the guitar shows which gave me  a good chance to buy stock - 18 shows in 2019 - 2 in 2020 and both in Feb
    He didn't have a forecourt and definitely didn't keep them in his bedroom though.

Car was a lovely Alfa 166 3.0. The engine was a work of art. Yum
  • Don't sell to them if you don't like it.

I would question whether they pay taxes or not, but other than that, it's something that's always happened. 

If I bought a guitar from one of these dealers I'd ask what the service was - do I get a returns period? Often, they specifically state you don't... 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    Once upon a time the Keefy family took a load of old shite to a car boot sale. A lady made us an offer on a load of [insert name of toys]. We accepted and took her money.

Half an hour later Mrs Keefy spotted those very same toys on the lady trader’s stall at much higher prices.

Were we upset? For about 10 seconds. We went home with folding money and the trader had stock for her business which afaik she didn’t sell that day. She didn’t disclose her trade status (although I had my suspicions) and didn’t give us a sob story.

If someone comes to me with a sob story my response would be: Oh dear, you can’t afford the thing that I’m selling.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    Perhaps on the basis of our massive network of informants we can then send out the fretboard Gestapo to round them up. Then we can hold public Maoist denunciation meetings to really put people in their place.

I'm all for calling out dodgy buying and selling practices wherever they are (e.g misrepresenting items as new when they are not, as seen recently), provided they are evidenced. But am I the only one that finds some of this idea of "naming and shaming" a little bit uncomfortable? Usually results in unevidenced accusations of sellers not paying tax, and you only ever get one side of the story. You also see threads "calling out" some of the big guitar retailers at the first sign of an issue, which damages their often hard-won reputations over one transaction. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Keefy said:
    If someone comes to me with a sob story my response would be: Oh dear, you can’t afford the thing that I’m selling.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    JezWynd said:
    So what do we do ? (if the majority agree something should be done):+1: 
    All meet at the crossroads clutching something pointy?

Vigilante pitchfork rule, absolutely. :+1

We work through each bedroom dealer, one at a time.  Break in, tie them to a chair and torture until they release social media passwords. We then lower the price of everything to sensible amounts, sell it off quickly and release them when the stock is cleared. Rinse and repeat until the bedroom dealer circuit has been reduced to a shivering wreck of its former self and prices have been returned to realistic levels. :)

In all seriousness and piss take aside, I’ve no idea how we protect ourselves as a community but like you guys they do my head in. I also find it really quite amusing (and infuriating at the same time) when you approach them about something they’ve got that you fancy and there’s ‘absolutely no negotiation on price, it’s the best I can do’ and the claim of a ‘50% trade-in value if you want to part-ex’ as if they were a bricks and mortar shop. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    JezWynd said:
    Keefy said:

Especially her!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Let’s not beat around the bush here. Your talking about Steve Jordan and Jordan guitars. 
    There are a few names I could add but most are dealing with one or two guitars at a time (I currently have 5 for sale, 2 of which are my old ones I’m selling as I’ve replaced it with ones I got in and prefer- something I seem to do quite a lot!!)
    steve has about 30 guitars all of high value and asking a high price (and he states he won’t take offers on price??). I’ve heard some stories about him seriously lowballing folk and he regularly puts adverts out saying he will pay such and suc( for certain guitars only to apparently drop from his stated price on discussion. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a lot of respect for bedroom dealers, over the years I've sold perhaps 5 used guitars, despite my best efforts I've lost decent sums of money on each one.
    Good to know there's at least a chance of making a few quid one day. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    I can't see how anyone is making money at the moment. I've had my eye on the used market since the beginning of Corona and generally there is no value anywhere. The new prices are ridiculous - an Am Std Strat at £1700 for example - and used prices are not far behind. And in many ways it's not even the prices but the amount of guitars out there. Good luck to the flippers. I think they need it.
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    edited October 2020
    It honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've seen Steve Jordan around, knew Jim Ramsay quite well for a while and have even sold a PRS to Essex Recording Studios. I've also sold a couple of Les Pauls to the Vintage Guitar Emporium (Fat Rick's). What's the difference?

If I get what I want for my guitar then I really don't give a crap if someone tries to flip it for more. And if I see a guitar that I fancy being sold by a bedroom flipper at an excessive price, I make an offer and if they don't accept I move on and look for something else.

As for the sob stories, seriously, grow a spine. If someone is trying to talk you below your floor price off the back of his nan's cat getting cancAIDS and only being curable with your Ibanez S540LTD, just ignore them, or tell them to fuck off.

As some others have commented, this all seems incredibly control freakish.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    I saw Goody Proctor selling a guitar!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    edited October 2020
    Really what is the problem? Bedroom dealers (I'm guessing) look at classified adverts, which are open for everyone to look at. If they see an opportunity to buy and sell making a profit, what is the problem with that?

You have the same opportunity to scan the classifieds and buy to keep. 

The bedroom dealer is probably just a bit more motivated!

Life is to short to worry about stuff like this for me

Oh.... and if they try to chip you, you can always say no!