Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bedroom Dealers/Flippers

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't see the issue. I don't buy from sellers that I think are over pricing and equally won't sell an item for less than I think it's worth.

If these 'bedroom traders' are pushing prices up, so what? Presumably everyone here has at least one guitar and probably an amp and perhaps some effects. You don't need more and if you feel you do, there's plenty of equipment available new at all price points.

It's not a human right to have access to affordable used musical equipment and equally, not a crime or immoral to buy things to sell for profit. Besides, there is plenty of fairly priced used gear still about and I almost always buy used for that very reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, what kind of sob stories are people falling for to give a stranger a discount on a non essential item like a guitar? It's hardly life or death to have one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited October 2020
    I’ll be honest - I do it. I even started a thread on here saying I was doing it and why and how. 
    I’ve never bought on here to sell. You guys are enthusiasts and “know better”. Most of the stuff I’ve had has been guys that have stopped playing and it’s lived under the bed for 3 years. 
    I do sell on this forum but obviously rather than me being a parasite that clogs up the sales pages, I’m selling good gear and I advertise it here for cheaper than I do on Marketplace or reverb. 
    At this stage in the game that I’m at, most of the time I’m getting stuff to try it out. I get it at a reasonable price with the intention of keeping it (if I like it) or moving it on and trying something else. 
    I think if I’m cleaning and setting a guitar up, demoing it, making a video, taking better pictures and listing in cleverly in all the right places I deserve to take that bit of cream off the top. 
    I won’t lie, I’ve had some super deals come my way and I would challenge all of you to turn down the Gibson les Paul’s for £400 etc (which again, I got to try and if I didn’t like I sell on or trade)

I’ve actually sold on this forum to see the same guitar on eBay for £500 more before (a guitar I sold to them for £450 profit anyway so I wasn’t complaining) 

Lets be honest here you're def a bit of a  chancer when it comes to buying and selling, you offered me a mexicn strat for my usa telecaster trying to convince me on Facebook they were worth the same price, not realising I was a member here.

That wasn't exactly being a decent trader.... 
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The issue definitely polarises opinion.  I'm surprised that so many people aren't bothered by it but then again if you view the classifieds here as a free EBay and price things accordingly then its understandable. Maybe in future I'll price things along those lines and just PM people on here that I have dealt with before and who I like and trust with the fretboard 'mates rates' price to save any dissapointment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5035

The issue definitely polarises opinion.  I'm surprised that so many people aren't bothered by it but then again if you view the classifieds here as a free EBay and price things accordingly then its understandable. Maybe in future I'll price things along those lines and just PM people on here that I have dealt with before and who I like and trust with the fretboard 'mates rates' price to save any dissapointment.

I understand this point of view. I don't have an issue with people buying low and selling high as long as it's not done with being scammy or pretending something's worth less than it is, or lying about the guitar when it's resold etc.

I think that this site's different though. I've bought a few things at great prices and with really enjoyable deals, striking up some great relationships along the way. I wouldn't dream of selling them for more than I paid (unless I'd spent a significant amount in any repairs), and I like this approach as part of the spirit of the forum.

That (to me) is the  big difference between buying and selling on here and buying and selling externally.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    I wonder how many bedroom dealers declare their profit to the taxman?

Because you know... that would be interesting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1246
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader

Ahh but they have to sell them first
    By that, I mean at the prices some of them are asking there can't be many being sold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder how many bedroom dealers declare their profit to the taxman?

Good point. That's definitely one thing that I would not support about bedroom traders. Nobody likes paying taxes, but they absolutely should be paid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Ahh but they have to sell them first :)
    True! But a couple of declared sales would start to hit home pretty hard when the tax bill arrives. I can’t imagine a single one of them pays their way for their dealings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    The thing with the forum classifieds is most people know each other. That and it's a relatively small market.

Someone sells a guitar at a great price because they know the guy they're selling to. Then if that person sells it on, they almost always list it for what they paid regardless of if it might be worth a bit more on ebay or gumtree. Community spirit and all that. Which is a great thing but, whenever money is involved, people find an angle.

We all see some guitars pass through the hands of a few members because GAS. So I buy something here for, say 1k and I think I've got a bargain. That guy is charging 1k because he got it for 1k off another member who got it for 1k of the previous member etc. Maybe they got it off someone they know who had it listed for a bit more but gave a discount because they knew the buyer. So on and so forth.

In sweeps bedroom dealer guy, sees that it's a bargain and probably worth 1250. Buys it and chucks it on ebay with some snazzy pics for 1500 because they're happy to wait 6 months for a sale. Maybe lets it go for 1400 to give their buyer the idea they got a great deal.

Don't really know where I'm going with this other than if I ever buy something here, decide it's not for me, even if it's worth more than what I paid on the open market I'd still offer it back to the forum for what I paid. Just seems right. Not everyone cares though and some people will take advantage. Is what it is though. If I'm selling something here that I maybe got somewhere else and a forumite offers me a bit less I'd probably say yeah no worries if they're a regular. If I check their account and they're just a classifieds lurker then my price isn't budging.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ll be honest - I do it. I even started a thread on here saying I was doing it and why and how. 
    I’ve never bought on here to sell. You guys are enthusiasts and “know better”. Most of the stuff I’ve had has been guys that have stopped playing and it’s lived under the bed for 3 years. 
    I do sell on this forum but obviously rather than me being a parasite that clogs up the sales pages, I’m selling good gear and I advertise it here for cheaper than I do on Marketplace or reverb. 
    At this stage in the game that I’m at, most of the time I’m getting stuff to try it out. I get it at a reasonable price with the intention of keeping it (if I like it) or moving it on and trying something else. 
    I think if I’m cleaning and setting a guitar up, demoing it, making a video, taking better pictures and listing in cleverly in all the right places I deserve to take that bit of cream off the top. 
    I won’t lie, I’ve had some super deals come my way and I would challenge all of you to turn down the Gibson les Paul’s for £400 etc (which again, I got to try and if I didn’t like I sell on or trade)

I’ve actually sold on this forum to see the same guitar on eBay for £500 more before (a guitar I sold to them for £450 profit anyway so I wasn’t complaining) 

Lets be honest here you're def a bit of a  chancer when it comes to buying and selling, you offered me a mexicn strat for my usa telecaster trying to convince me on Facebook they were worth the same price, not realising I was a member here.

ah you again. 
    As I remember it you were selling a tele but wanted a strat, I offered you a strat. It was an opening offer and you had a hissy fit before we could go any further in negotiations and your involvement on this forum had nothing to do with any of my actions. 
    Believe it or not, some people will trade an American guitar for a Mexican one because they don’t want the American one and want the Mexican one. 
    Calling me a chancer (for the third time now) is a bit much when you specifically asked for a style of guitar I was offering on a public forum. If you didn’t want offers of trades or you wanted exact like for like value trade offers, you should have said so in your ad. 
    I didn’t try and convince you they were the same price, actually just that I felt you were asking  too much for yours and undervaluing mine (this happens a lot actually)
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited October 2020
    I’ll be honest - I do it. I even started a thread on here saying I was doing it and why and how. 

ah you again. 
    As I remember it you were selling a tele but wanted a strat, I offered you a strat. It was an opening offer and you had a hissy fit before we could go any further in negotiations and your involvement on this forum had nothing to do with any of my actions. 
    Believe it or not, some people will trade an American guitar for a Mexican one because they don’t want the American one and want the Mexican one. 
    Calling me a chancer (for the third time now) is a bit much when you specifically asked for a style of guitar I was offering on a public forum. If you didn’t want offers of trades or you wanted exact like for like value trade offers, you should have said so in your ad. 
    I didn’t try and convince you they were the same price, actually just that I felt you were asking  too much for yours and undervaluing mine (this happens a lot actually)
    Shall I just find the screen shot and make you look like a tool ....again.....
    You exactly said when I asked how much you think its worth "the same as yours"    and then went on about why you think it's worth the same, and then I come here and see you're trying to turn a cheap guitar into an expensive one, it really doesn't bother me in the slightest, what does is you trying to act like you're some honest Joe, ensuring everyone gets a good deal when really you're just as bad as everyone else D D

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    I think the issue on this site is that the idea of the Fretboard is that it’s a community and that the ethics of the dealers is the opposite to what many feel this site is about from a community aspect. 

I don’t think anyone has an issue with people dealing guitars but just be open and say. Personally I’m more likely to sell to someone on here if I know they are passionate about the item I’m selling because I know how I feel about guitars and hope others do too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ll be honest - I do it. I even started a thread on here saying I was doing it and why and how. 

ah you again. 
    Shall I just find the screen shot and make you look like a tool ....again.....
    You exactly said when I asked how much you think its worth "the same as yours"    and then went on about why you think it's worth the same, and then I come here and see you're trying to turn a cheap guitar into an expensive one, it really doesn't bother me in the slightest, what does is you trying to act like you're some honest Joe, ensuring everyone gets a good deal when really you're just as bad as everyone else D D

Yeah, find it. Let’s see how unbothered you are exactly. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2256
    TBH I buy so much gear I dont even remember what I bought it at. When I come to sell anything I just look up the most recent sales on eBay, take the average, knock 5-10% off for here and advertise at full price on FB. 

I'd say if flippers annoy you, just don't sell anything way below market value to start with. 

This is a site you can seen how much stuff has sold for on eBay: http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?cc=UK
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    Can you two lovebirds stop quoting each other? My thumbs are tired. Thanks.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1357
    I've thought about this for a while and think if someone has done it on here and people have proof then they should have a dolphin emoji next to there fretboard name ( flipper).
    If they dont like it see you later go to facebook and gumtree and ply your trade there.
     Other members on here who buy on here then if its not for them put it back on the forum at the same price then they have a gold star next to there name ,so if you are selling on here and 2 people are chasing it you can sell it to a genuine member instead of a flipper.
    If you are neither then nothing against your name till you do one or the other.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManic said:
    Can you two lovebirds stop quoting each other? My thumbs are tired. Thanks.
    I’ll stop. I’m busy anyway. It’s Friday night and strangefans mum usually pops round about now. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    What a fun and good-natured thread. I feel like we've really come together as a community here.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Good point. That's definitely one thing that I would not support about bedroom traders. Nobody likes paying taxes, but they absolutely should be paid.
    Of course not, paying tax is one of my least favourite past times. But I do it.

Id say a lot of bedroom dealers are using it as a side line “business” on top of their main occupation. If declared it could very well alter their financial situation... for the worse. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom