Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Alex2678 said:
    If anyone fancies selling on what’s left of their tub I’d be interested, I’ve only got the one guitar and can’t bring myself to spend £16 + £4 postage just to have loads left over
    I've already promised mine to my mate Phil once I've finished anointing my stable.  If there's some left after he's done likewise, I'll cheerfully bung it over to you.  A little goes a long way :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1147
    JerkMoans said:
    Alex2678 said:
    If anyone fancies selling on what’s left of their tub I’d be interested, I’ve only got the one guitar and can’t bring myself to spend £16 + £4 postage just to have loads left over
    I've already promised mine to my mate Phil once I've finished anointing my stable.  If there's some left after he's done likewise, I'll cheerfully bung it over to you.  A little goes a long way :D 
    Very kind Mr Moans, thank you that’d be great. No worries if it runs out before then, I’ll just have to stop being so tight fisted!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Does this stuff not like leave a residue? 

I fear using anything on my guitars fretboards in
    case it makes my fingers icky lol. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:
    Does this stuff not like leave a residue? 

I fear using anything on my guitars fretboards in
    case it makes my fingers icky lol. 
    Not at all. I sometimes use the regular instrument food on rosewood before I send a neck out to a customer as it doesn’t dry out like lemon oil does. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    @JerkMoans Great results. How has it held up? I got rid of a really good Vintera Strat because I couldn't hack the colour of the board. I used some Fender Custom Shop fretboard conditioner (Fingerboard Remedy) which has beeswax in it. It darkened the board nicely but only lasted a day at a time. Maybe I needed multiple applications. Conversely, I used the same stuff on my dry and light LP rosewood board, and it's stayed looking lovely and dark. I think for sure it was hard for anything to seep into the surface or pores of the PF. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    mrkb said:
    WezV said:
    I'm not sure it can be classed as snake oil.   Its just a wax based finishing product.  

But if it contains snake wax how would you classify it?

A slippery question
    gusman2x said:
    @JerkMoans Great results. How has it held up? I got rid of a really good Vintera Strat because I couldn't hack the colour of the board. I used some Fender Custom Shop fretboard conditioner (Fingerboard Remedy) which has beeswax in it. It darkened the board nicely but only lasted a day at a time. Maybe I needed multiple applications. Conversely, I used the same stuff on my dry and light LP rosewood board, and it's stayed looking lovely and dark. I think for sure it was hard for anything to seep into the surface or pores of the PF. 
    Well it’s a stain so it *should * last; can’t road test under playing conditions yet as the body of this beauty is with Scott @GoldenEraGuitars for him to work his wizardry and turn the whole into a sublime work of art :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    JerkMoans said:
    gusman2x said:
    Well it’s a stain so it *should * last; can’t road test under playing conditions yet as the body of this beauty is with Scott @GoldenEraGuitars for him to work his wizardry and turn the whole into a sublime work of art :D 
    You’ve probably devalued it by getting it refinished, such is the weirdness that comes with collectible newer instruments.

Some of those Alternate Reality models are shooting up in value, or rather what people are charging for them and what people are willing to pay owing to there having been few enough of them made.

I picked up a Tenor Telecaster from the AR series this time last year and people on Reverb are now looking for a twice or three times what they originally cost. It needs a string tree for the two higher strings but I am hesitant to add one because, even though I don’t intend to sell it, it might devalue it.
    Well this one’s getting Paisleyfied for full 60’s Summer of Loveliness. Groovy.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1147
    I’ve never met a guitar I didn’t devalue 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right.  Gave it a final dose of the Monty's good stuff this morning, left it 2-3 hrs while I walked the dogs and generally mooched about, buffed it out and then - as I don't have any instrument food - applied the old walnut trick to oil and condition the fretboard.

And so we go from this:

To this:

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    JerkMoans said:
    Right.  Gave it a final dose of the Monty's good stuff this morning, left it 2-3 hrs while I walked the dogs and generally mooched about, buffed it out and then - as I don't have any instrument food - applied the old walnut trick to oil and condition the fretboard.

Wow, you are a messy eater ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    JerkMoans said:

All 4 feet in the trough, mate :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    edited May 2021
    I’ve bought some of this and tried it on two guitars. On a Tele with a very dry rosewood board it made a huge difference, much darker, and left the board looking oily again. I think a lot of the darkness came from adding moisture to it. On a Les Paul with a normal slightly oily board it made pretty much no difference. So I think if you have a very dried out fretboard it’ll absorb the wax and will make it darker, but probably a waste of time and money on a normal well maintained fretboard.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thread resurrection - anyone tried this on ash? Considering grabbing some for the more expected fretboard use anyway, but wondering if it can pull double duty where nitro chipped off a strat and the exposed wood just looks a little stark and clean
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    mrkb said:
    JerkMoans said:

Walnut trick?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    I’ve been underwhelmed by this stuff on my pau ferro board Jaguar. I’ve done five, maybe even six applications, some quite heavy and caked on, others really rubbed in, varying in time from a couple of hours to a full day…still light and dry looking board. I didn’t have any naphtha to start so it may be my own fault (and I will try this before I give up completely), but not had nearly as good a result as some of those shown here. Bit disappointed tbh.
    rze99 said:
    mrkb said:
    JerkMoans said:

Walnut trick?
    Rub a walnut or two on the fretboard: oil should permeate it to leave it nicely lubed up :naughty: 

see: 
    https://www.gearnews.com/improve-your-guitar-fretboard-with-jefs-secret-walnut-trick/

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I’ve been underwhelmed by this stuff on my pau ferro board Jaguar. I’ve done five, maybe even six applications, some quite heavy and caked on, others really rubbed in, varying in time from a couple of hours to a full day…still light and dry looking board. I didn’t have any naphtha to start so it may be my own fault (and I will try this before I give up completely), but not had nearly as good a result as some of those shown here. Bit disappointed tbh.
    On that note actually - anyone able to recommend where to get some naptha in the UK? Not all lighter fluids look to be created equal. I’ve been using gorgomyte for cleaning but if I’m gonna stain I feel obliged to follow the instructions properly
    I’ve been underwhelmed by this stuff on my pau ferro board Jaguar. I’ve done five, maybe even six applications, some quite heavy and caked on, others really rubbed in, varying in time from a couple of hours to a full day…still light and dry looking board. I didn’t have any naphtha to start so it may be my own fault (and I will try this before I give up completely), but not had nearly as good a result as some of those shown here. Bit disappointed tbh.
    On that note actually - anyone able to recommend where to get some naptha in the UK? Not all lighter fluids look to be created equal. I’ve been using gorgomyte for cleaning but if I’m gonna stain I feel obliged to follow the instructions properly
    I just got a bottle of lighter fluid for about £2 from the newsagent/tobacconist
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer