Montys "ageing wax" snake oil? or good ?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    rze99 said:

I use a mix black and dark brown mix leather dye after fine sanding the board.
    2 applications.
    leave to dry overnight each time
    Then I use tiny tin amounts of Tru-Oil to seal. Rub hard until it's not there.
    leave 24 hours
    Then bore oil. 

result is always fab - he'res one I did a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_7427JPG
    IMG_7399JPG
    IMG_7403JPG
    Looks like a great result - no idea why someone lol’d your post though, very strange. 

What kind of tru-oil and bore oil should you use though? I’ve just had a browse on eBay and there’s a few types available and there doesn’t seem to be much to choose between them apart from the price. Also, I guess if you don’t want quite such a dark, almost black colour you could use just a dark brown leather dye? Cheers.

Edit: do you have a ‘before’ photo so we can see the difference that the process has made?
    Thanks I'm sure the LOL-er was so wowed they just hit the wrong button ;)

I don't have before and after photos, sorry. 

The Tru-oil is Birchwood Casey Tru Oil Stock Finish 3oz Liquid for Shotgun/Rifle/Air Gun 

The Bore oil is Superslick Bore Oil - cheap stuff.

Yes, just blend the dyes to taste and try it. I think I used 2 parts black 1 part dark brown on this on as I wanted it to look very dark with the black body. You really need to take your time to get full coverage without over soaking and avoiding dribbles or staining the dot markers. I use a fine thin water colour brush. I used to do a a bit of art and it helps to have a steady accurate hand.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    Interesting read on such related matters here, although the website design is awful  ;)
    https://beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

2 applications.
    leave 24 hours
    Then bore oil. 

IMG_7427JPG
    IMG_7399JPG
    IMG_7403JPG
    Looks like a great result - no idea why someone lol’d your post though, very strange. 

What kind of tru-oil and bore oil should you use though? I’ve just had a browse on eBay and there’s a few types available and there doesn’t seem to be much to choose between them apart from the price. Also, I guess if you don’t want quite such a dark, almost black colour you could use just a dark brown leather dye? Cheers.

Edit: do you have a ‘before’ photo so we can see the difference that the process has made?

The Tru-oil is Birchwood Casey Tru Oil Stock Finish 3oz Liquid for Shotgun/Rifle/Air Gun 

Yes, just blend the dyes to taste and try it. I think I used 2 parts black 1 part dark brown on this on as I wanted it to look very dark with the black body. You really need to take your time to get full coverage without over soaking and avoiding dribbles or staining the dot markers. I use a fine thin water colour brush. I used to do a a bit of art and it helps to have a steady accurate hand.

Great that’s helpful. Does that mean you have to avoid painting over the markers or they’ll get dyed too? I was thinking of doing it to a Les Paul and definitely don’t want the crown inlays to go brown! (I don’t have a steady hand and couldn’t paint a fence, never mind a picture!)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

2 applications.
    leave 24 hours
    Then bore oil. 

IMG_7427JPG
    IMG_7399JPG
    IMG_7403JPG

Great that’s helpful. Does that mean you have to avoid painting over the markers or they’ll get dyed too? I was thinking of doing it to a Les Paul and definitely don’t want the crown inlays to go brown! (I don’t have a steady hand and couldn’t paint a fence, never mind a picture!)
    Yes, it will dye most dot markers and maple whether nitro or poly finish.

If you don't have a steady hand, then don't do it.
    Masking tape over the inlays, gently trimmed to fit with a scalpel/craft knife. Stain carefully round the inlay, remove tape when dry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Masking tape over the inlays, gently trimmed to fit with a scalpel/craft knife. Stain carefully round the inlay, remove tape when dry.

In theory. In practice it rather seeps under the masking tape. Accuracy works better for me anyway. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    edited December 2020
    @rze99 ;;

If over 2 days i give the fretboard a coat of black leather dye would 1 coat of tru oil be enough to seal it or have i got to do the 3rd coat with bore oil ?

And would candle wax on inlays stop the dye seeping into inlays ? then when dye is dry wipe candle wax  off then coat with tru oil ?.

P.s thanks for your replys 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited December 2020
    I forgot about this thread. Just an update with my experience. All applications laid on thick and rubbed in... First application left on for 2 hours, second again for 2 hours. Couldn't see a difference, third application left on 14 hours. Didn't' make a blind bit of difference that I could see. I took photos 'before', all ready to take the after shots, but didn't' bother in the end. It didn't work for me. It might work for you though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mark123 said:
    @rze99 ;;

If over 2 days i give the fretboard a coat of black leather dye would 1 coat of tru oil be enough to seal it or have i got to do the 3rd coat with bore oil ?

And would candle wax on inlays stop the dye seeping into inlays ? then when dye is dry wipe candle wax  off then coat with tru oil ?.

Wax should stop any bleeding of dye into the inlay, but I think you'd have to be quite accurate with the application or you could  contaminate the fretboard too & that would stop the dye taking.
    I reckon if you could be as accurate at coating an inlay with wax, then you'd be just as good at painting round the inlay as @rze99  has mentioned.
    mark123 said:
    @rze99 ;;

Yes one application of Tru oil rubbed well in is enough. Make sure the frets are clear of any Tru oil with some fine wire wool. 

The bore oil - again rubbed well in - is the last touch; it somehow makes the whole thing come together and look the dog’s bollocks. 

mark123 said:
    @rze99 ;;

Wax should stop any bleeding of dye into the inlay, but I think you'd have to be quite accurate with the application or you could  contaminate the fretboard too & that would stop the dye taking.
    I reckon if you could be as accurate at coating an inlay with wax, then you'd be just as good at painting round the inlay as @rze99  has mentioned.
    Hard to accurate with the wax. Easier to be accurate with paint. Think of it as fine art. 
  •  

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry that went a bit tits up.
    Anyway, first pic before then wax on for about an hour.....has brought the grain out and darkened slightly. I think it’ll take a few coats to darken more but quite happy with the first attempt.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Tbh I don't think its doing much more than a good oil will by the looks of it.  

If you want real colour change then you need to look at dye, or developing the wood natural tannins with iron acetate(wire wool, left in white vinegar to dissolve).

First thing is always to thoroughly clean the board to get it as close to raw wood as possible.   Dont assume your board has nothing on it just because its straight from the factory.   It can also be a naturally oily board.  Give it a good rub down with lighter fluid and fine wire wool first if you want to be sure.   This  step may help with the ageing wax too.

If using dye, you do need to be aware of inlays, but you don't really need to mask them.    Pearl and most plastics won't be affected at all.  Celluloid and clay need more care. Any cracks or flaws in any material will be highlighted.  When dying a board with celluloid inlays you need to rub them down with fine wire wool as soon as the dye has dried... don't leave it too long. 

You should be able to rub down the whole board with fine wire wool, and it still look stained after.  If not, it really hasn't penetrated well enough.  Was it raw wood?   This step also helps get rid of any surface stain that could rub off on your fingers.

I'm all for a coat or two of some kind of finishing oil after the stain.  Firstly,  it helps stop any lifting on your fingers.  Secondly, it makes it look less like a consistently stained board...  much more like a naturally dark piece of wood.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    Just done some quick staining tests I thought might help

Found the palest rosewood blank from my stack  and an old rosewood boarded neck I made about 15 years ago thats also quite pale.

That board is rough sawn, so needs a quick scrape ... notice how much darker it gets just from being smoothed out... I just flipped it over to show the difference, before anyone points out the grain changed

Anyway, we have consistently pale on a complete neck at the top, and streaky raw wood below.

Tools for the test... fiebings dye, cheap Danish oil,  0000 Liberon wire wool.  And gloves, don't forget the gloves.

The dye is rubbed on with a rag.  Only did brown on the finished neck.  Black/raw/brown on the raw wood

Note the finished neck has only gone a shade or two darker.. note the increased contrast with headstock. The black is totally ebonised on raw wood, brown has taken away the streakyness totally

I didn't get a pic but next step was to rub back with the wire wool... it removes surface stain but doesn't change the look at all.

Oiling darkens everything brown, but does lift the black stain a bit making that less intense
    Before

After

The finished board has gone from consistently pale, to a consistent mid brown.

The raw rosewood has actually gone quite nice just from the oil, but is a little more consistent and rich looking where it was stained with the brown.   The black section sits somewhere between dark rosewood and ebony, but looks a lot more natural for a bit of oil.  Wouldn't describe it as a streaky board now.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1113
    Great post, think that’ll answer most questions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    edited December 2020
    When i was looking to darken my fretboard ages ago it was either @jdbwales ;; or @SteveRobinson ;; who reccomended the feibings leather dye .

I'm sure when i asked them they didn't mention about using anything to seal the stain after application , and didn't say anything about being careful around the inlays when applying , just brush on and wipe with a tissue if any of it gets on a inlay .

( I may be wrong , it was at least over a year ago )

p.s I haven't a clue why them symbols( ;; ) come up after i link any member ,it happens everytime ???.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I certainly have used Fiebings dye in the past but I always seal with Tru-Oil.

It doesn't penetrate inlays so when the oil is applied using wire wool, it comes right off.
    I certainly have used Fiebings dye in the past but I always seal with Tru-Oil.

It doesn't penetrate inlays so when the oil is applied using wire wool, it comes right off.
    It doesn't penetrate MOST inlays