Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5340
    Great result ....  C'mon Scotland 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Another poor English performance. Totally devoid of ideas unable to break down an organized and committed back 5.

If they manage to get to the knockouts it's so going to be another shootout...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rze99 said:
    Kane looked way way off it. What’s wrong? Right to take him off. 
    Just no service at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2395
    rze99 said:
    Kane looked way way off it. What’s wrong? Right to take him off. 
    Just no service at all.
    No it’s not just that. He looks way, way off it. Not fit. Or something. He needed to come off. Poor. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Another poor English performance. Totally devoid of ideas unable to break down an organized and committed back 5.

We have fast Attacking players galore in that squad, nd all we do is play slow tricky tacky back and forth passing. If that’s all you do, even 10 year olds can defend it because they know what’s coming.  You’ve got to cross some, run at them some, shoot some, then the defenders don’t know what’s coming and that creates space / gaps / time.  

You would think that seeing how Man City fail in the big games with a similar approach that it’s not a good approach.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    Disappointing. 
    Pickford had a good game and I’ve been a bit unconvinced by him before but just as well he was on form. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    sev112 said:

We have fast Attacking players galore in that squad, nd all we do is play slow tricky tacky back and forth passing. If that’s all you do, even 10 year olds can defend it because they know what’s coming.  You’ve got to cross some, run at them some, shoot some, then the defenders don’t know what’s coming and that creates space / gaps / time.  

Absolutely, so frustrating. You don’t see the best international teams play like that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12588
    sev112 said:

Absolutely, so frustrating. You don’t see the best international teams play like that. 
    I think realistically we look second class, no chance of beating a too team. 

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited June 2021
    There was no effort in making runs, playing one-twos, and pulling their defenders out of position. Just a lazy attacking performance all-round. Credit to Scotland though who on another night would have nicked it. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Scotland played well, England didn't.  End of.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    edited June 2021
    I don't get why they can't break these teams down and why Kane is so absent. Scotland sat behind the ball for the last 30 mins and it is difficult to score against that, but I felt that they were beatable. Even though Scotland had a few chances they didn't have the quality to score. Not a huge threat and England should have done better.  

Derbies do bring the best out in the underdog so perhaps that was part of it. 
    munckee said:
    sev112 said:

So a typical English performance then.

I don't get it. We do have good players and talent, but so often something is lacking and we seem far from a top team.

Much as I like Southgate as a persona, I just don't think he is a good tactical manager...

I thought Scotland played well. Deserved a goal.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jalapeno said:

This.

The England team was rubbish. Slow, ponderous, devoid of ideas .. milk turns quicker than Kane. Why is he on the pitch?  I ended up supporting Scotland. At least they had a go. A complete waste of an evening. My mother would have more pace on the ball and she's 87.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    edited June 2021
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:

This.

The England team was rubbish. Slow, ponderous, devoid of ideas .. milk turns quicker than Kane. Why is he on the pitch?  I ended up supporting Scotland. At least they had a go. A complete waste of an evening. My mother would have more pace on the ball and she's 87.
    Because he scores 30 goals a season, is the best centre forward in the world and won the golden boot at the last world cup. You have got to play him.

Sometimes it's not the player it's the service. Did he get the service? No. Ask the questions of the other players. Kane is proven to be of the highest quality. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7348
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:

This.

Because he scores 30 goals a season, is the best centre forward in the world and won the golden boot at the last world cup. You have got to play him.

Sometimes it's not the player it's the service. Did he get the service? No. Ask the questions of the other players. Kane is proven to be of the highest quality. 
    Don’t disagree re lack of service but normally Kane woukd then drop deep for the ball and drive at goal or start sweeping the ball out wide so he can then get on the end of the crosses to come. He didn’t do any of that today - is he injured ?
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    I have no doubt that Southgate is very knowledgeable and conducts himself well in the media.  BUT, I don't see evidence of a "spark", I don't believe he can motivate his players.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:

This.

The way England play doesn't suit Kane. He's not that quick - Scotland's defenders easily outpaced him. He shouldn't have been on the pitch. He had one shot. England has scored one goal in two games - I don't see where England's goals will come from in this tournament. Southgate is out of his depth.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    munckee said:
    sev112 said:

I thought Scotland played well. Deserved a goal.

No , I disagree.
    I really enjoyed Scotland’s midfield endeavour and they defended really really well.
    but you don’t  deserve a goal for effort.
    our 2 chances (Stones’ header against the post, and Foden’s just round the post) were closer.
    Ultimately a frustrating game for both sides for different reasons, but 0-0 was prob right and fair.

I did think, that the non-penalty on Sterling was much closer to a penalty than the one in the Czech/Croatia game

so a 0-0 draw against Czech and both teams go through, England in 2nd place with a goal, which then prompts a Kane hat trick, a handful of assists for Grealish who plays from the start, and @ 4-1 win in the final with 2headed goals each for Stones and Maguire.
    Good wine I’m drinking by the way ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2021
    I don't get why they can't break these teams down and why Kane is so absent. Scotland sat behind the ball for the last 30 mins and it is difficult to score against that, but I felt that they were beatable. Even though Scotland had a few chances they didn't have the quality to score. Not a huge threat and England should have done better.  

I think you may need a touch of realism with your red rose tinted glasses tbh. 

"Break them down?" 

Scotland were by far the better team. Had more attacking guile, organised and kept their shape and showed far more desire and ambition. 

They were the ones who were held, and unlucky not to break England down. 

This is a typical England team at a major tournament. Big money players that turn it on all season for their clubs, but look like they can't be arsed with international football. 

Well played Scotland, you probably did enough for all 3 points there. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

I think you may need a touch of realism with your red rose tinted glasses tbh. 

"Break them down?" 

Scotland were by far the better team. Had more attacking guile, organised and kept their shape and showed far more desire and ambition. 

They were the ones who were held, and unlucky not to break England down. 

This is a typical England team at a major tournament. Big money players that turn it on all season for their clubs, but look like they can't be arsed with international football. 

Well played Scotland, you probably did enough for all 3 points there. 
    There we go again, you don’t win games through effort, and there’s no such thing as a moral victory,  England were agreed devoid of creation and effort.
    But Scotland were devoid of anything in the final third.  You can’t discount that, Scotland were poor in attack, and poor in finishing the few half chances that were created (mostly by poor English defensive control).  So they don’t deserve either real or moral 3 points.  If the6 had a number of chances that hit the posts, or Pickford had a worldly or the ref ripped them off then maybe, but there were none of those. They deserved the 0-0 draw they got, and quite feasibly would have been a fair 1-0 loss had Stones header been 4” to the left.  So in terms of real chances they me be pleased with 0-0.
    yes it is much better to watch good effort driven midfield play, and I was pleased to see them playing better than Engkand in midfield, but 2 games in and they have no goals
    Wishful thinking don’t get you 3 points ,and Scotland need to raise their game higher just to get a draw against Croatia, and even higher to get the win they need.