Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• warheadwarhead Frets: 98
    England - Croatia.......both teams looked quite awful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12543
    warhead said:
    I don’t agree it was a close game but we have probably beaten the best team to have lost so far. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    England weren't awful at all. It's wasn't the best performance but we outplayed them from start to end. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited June 2021
    England looked good yesterday, don’t know what game you were watching Warhead.

Netherlands v Ukraine...what a cracker. The Dutch will give us some entertaining games but I doubt they’ll win the thing with that defence.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746
    warhead said:
    Group opener in 29 degrees heat, you're not going to see the kind of contest that makes both teams look amazing.  England were pretty solid against a decent team and did a professional job to get 3 points.  Nothing more, nothing less.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    warhead said:
    Group opener in 29 degrees heat, you're not going to see the kind of contest that makes both teams look amazing.  England were pretty solid against a decent team and did a professional job to get 3 points.  Nothing more, nothing less.
    It was so bright it almost became difficult to watch at times and the ball would almost disappear in the shaded area of the pitch. So, yes, the heat must have been a factor. 

Saw most of the Netherlands game, probably the most exciting match so far and both teams showing a lot of skill and some major flaws. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Good to see teams scoring goals and actually trying to win rather than trying not to lose.  If there was one good thing to emerge from the pandemic, this is it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 966
    Rocker said:
    If there was one good thing to emerge from the pandemic, this is it.
    Hmm...not sure I get the link between Covid19 and team tactics  ?? 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    AlbertC said:
    Rocker said:
    If there was one good thing to emerge from the pandemic, this is it.
    Hmm...not sure I get the link between Covid19 and team tactics  ?? 
    They have to stand at least 2m apart, so passing accuracy had to improve ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12543
    Good luck to our tartan chums this afternoon, you have a decent side I think.  Tough group but they are all pretty much tough at euros.  Make sure you play your worst game on Friday!
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    nerves for the Scotland game have kicked in now. hoping for a good result 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Today's main bet is 1.5 points on Poland and Spain both to win at 7/4, Betfred shop. Real is 6/4.

Pro tip: If you call your money 'points' you can pretend you're not a degenerate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Philly_Q said:
    Minor thing, but.... Jack Wilshere on the radio is driving me mad, calling Micah Richards "Meekah".  I wish someone would have a word with him off-air.
    Given his injury record, I'm surprised Jackie hasn't gone down with a mouth strain that'll rule him out of the radio action for at least 8 months. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    Philly_Q said:
    Minor thing, but.... Jack Wilshere on the radio is driving me mad, calling Micah Richards "Meekah".  I wish someone would have a word with him off-air.
    Given his injury record, I'm surprised Jackie hasn't gone down with a mouth strain that'll rule him out of the radio action for at least 8 months. 
    Given the way he runs around with his tongue constantly sticking out, it's a wonder he's got to (almost) the end of his career without biting it off.  I doubt a long career in punditry awaits, he's not very interesting.
    edited June 2021
    Rocker said:
    Good to see teams scoring goals and actually trying to win rather than trying not to lose.  If there was one good thing to emerge from the pandemic, this is it.
    I’m also a bit uncertain of the link with the pandemic but the way the group stage is organised would seem to encourage being very safe and as you say trying not to lose more than trying to win. 

Jimmy Hill was the great proponent of 3 points for a win in order to encourage more dynamic playing. A few years ago I read an analysis that said the introduction of 3 points had driven down goal scoring - as losing is more problematic now. So, not the best bit of Hill’s legacy. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562

Jimmy Hill was the great proponent of 3 points for a win in order to encourage more dynamic playing. A few years ago I read an analysis that said the introduction of 3 points had driven down goal scoring - as losing is more problematic now. So, not the best but of Hill’s legacy. 
    If he were still alive, I'm sure he'd take the criticism on the chin. 

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    Same in rugby, the increase in points for a try just meant that defending sides would happily give away penalties 
    Saw bits of the Scotland game. The second Czech goal was interesting, well worth a quick look. There was a save as well by the Czech goalie straight out of Roy of the Rovers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 966
    The second Czech goal was interesting, well worth a quick look. 
    Definitely - a classy bit of opportunism

AlbertC said:
    The second Czech goal was interesting, well worth a quick look. 
    Definitely - a classy bit of opportunism

I think the Scottish goalie is still untangling himself from the back of the net now. Definitely one for the tournament hilights.