Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    The Scottish Keeper was a long way out.  You are probably better off being 8 or 10 metres out of your goal rather than right on the edge of your box.  That way you can't get chipped like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10009
    crunchman said:
    The Scottish Keeper was a long way out.  You are probably better off being 8 or 10 metres out of your goal rather than right on the edge of your box.  That way you can't get chipped like that.
    The defence seemed quite high up as well though and had two on one on that side I think, so presumably in that high line formation your keeper would normally be in the sweeper role as well as normally the counter attack would be long ball rather than long shot!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4693
    Saw bits of the Scotland game. The second Czech goal was interesting, well worth a quick look. There was a save as well by the Czech goalie straight out of Roy of the Rovers. 
    It was a worldy, the more you see it the better it is. Starts the ball so far out from the left post. Don’t mind losing to a goal like that. Thought we ( Scotland) showed enough that we can still get through. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2650
    Haven't watched the game yet. Looked an overly cautious selection from Clarke and disappointed that Tierney didn't make it. There also seems to be a lot of confidence that he'll be fit again by Friday - if it's his knee, I don't really see it...
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited June 2021
    “The fing n’ the fing bruv, innit”. Thanks for that Rio. You might as well have bagpuss in his place. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    Saw bits of the Scotland game. The second Czech goal was interesting, well worth a quick look. There was a save as well by the Czech goalie straight out of Roy of the Rovers. 
    It was a worldy, the more you see it the better it is. Starts the ball so far out from the left post. Don’t mind losing to a goal like that. Thought we ( Scotland) showed enough that we can still get through. 
    look at it again and you can see him have a quick look to see where the keeper is before he even gets to the ball, so the intention was there - Por keeper was flapping at nothing the whole time just hoping it was wide or high - Some will blame the keeper but give credit to the striker 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited June 2021
    Spain and their bi-annual tradition of boring the shit out of us with their tiki taka possession based football; only this time it's a lot less effective. Sweden were very unlucky not to snatch that.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    DefaultM said:
    Today's main bet is 1.5 points on Poland and Spain both to win at 7/4, Betfred shop. Real is 6/4.

Pro tip: If you call your money 'points' you can pretend you're not a degenerate.
    Fred's had me on that one.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388
    Wanted Sweden to give the arrogant Spaniards a kick in the Tapas. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:
    Today's main bet is 1.5 points on Poland and Spain both to win at 7/4, Betfred shop. Real is 6/4.

Pro tip: If you call your money 'points' you can pretend you're not a degenerate.
    The bookies got nowt out of me today. Instead I stuck some on on Slovakia women to win after going 1-0 down to Romania. 3-1 in the bag :) 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    Kiss of death group starts tonight with a potential belter, France v Germany - Will turn out poor now - Yet with the best 4 x 3rd place clubs to qualify, then chances are that France, Germany and Portugal can all get out the group 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12579
    Kiss of death group starts tonight with a potential belter, France v Germany - Will turn out poor now - Yet with the best 4 x 3rd place clubs to qualify, then chances are that France, Germany and Portugal can all get out the group 
    I wonder if it will be a group of draws like  England group in WC90. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7039
    munckee said:
    I wonder if it will be a group of draws like  England group in WC90
    I was at those games, great atmosphere, but awful football. Also some great people and some dregs of society in the crowds.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:

The bookies got nowt out of me today. Instead I stuck some on on Slovakia women to win after going 1-0 down to Romania. 3-1 in the bag :) 
    This is interesting did you just find it yourself on betfair or are you following some alerts? I did similar with tennis last week, where if the fave was down a set I'd back them or lay the other player. I just ended up securing myself a few pounds once they started to come back, but if I'd left them to run they'd have all fully won so I've been thinking about it.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12579
    mrkb said:
    munckee said:
    I was at those games, great atmosphere, but awful football. Also some great people and some dregs of society in the crowds.
    I was 15 in 90 and the whole world cup seemed amazing to me up until I was in a pub for the semi and there were blokes crying afterwards - got me hooked on tournaments for life, it was years later when I watched a programme about the tournament that I realised how poor it was in football terms.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    munckee said:
    mrkb said:
    munckee said:
    I was 15 in 90 and the whole world cup seemed amazing to me up until I was in a pub for the semi and there were blokes crying afterwards - got me hooked on tournaments for life, it was years later when I watched a programme about the tournament that I realised how poor it was in football terms.
    I was living in a shared house in 1990 and five of us gathered around our TV for almost every match. I remember Roger Milla and Cameroon more than anything, although that may have been a product of an otherwise dull cup. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    DefaultM said:
    This is interesting did you just find it yourself on betfair or are you following some alerts? I did similar with tennis last week, where if the fave was down a set I'd back them or lay the other player. I just ended up securing myself a few pounds once they started to come back, but if I'd left them to run they'd have all fully won so I've been thinking about it.
    Nah, I stick Bet365 up and just follow some stuff as it happens. Never really betted before, started this year with a tenner on the Grand National, won nowt on that and had a fiver left, and turned that fiver into £500 in three weeks. Promptly made more more, lost £150 in a week, and decided to stop with a +£500 profit. Now it's small bets for the most part, nowt above £3 bar that Slovakia effort. Actually find women's football quite good to bet on for how I want to do things as it's less unpredictable than the men's game. Far less shock results so you don't get the crazy odds winners but things like goals per half tend to be quite predictable. Following a league (I bet a lot on the Queensland Womens Premier League), you get a feeling for how teams do and I like the QPL as many games are televised. All part of my jobless summer! :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13039
    crunchman said:
    I was at the game, at the time I was absolutely furious with Marshall for his positioning and having seen it replayed today I maintain that annoyance. The center half also should be aware that when he's thirty yards into their half he absolutely can't give the ball away cheaply. Two mistakes like that at this level and you get punished. 

Yes, it's a great finish but the keeper shouldn't ever give him the opportunity to even try it. Marshall isn't and never has been a Neuer type sweeper keeper so I have no idea what he thought he was doing. The really frustrating thing was that in the first half the Czechs had actually tried something similar - a speculative long range effort when he was off his line - and that should have served as a wake up call.

As for the rest of the game, frustrating from a Scotland perspective. We desperately missed Tierney who I'd argue is our most important player. Not sure if it came across on the TV but it seemed like the rest of the team was utterly unwilling to pass to O'Donnell no matter how much space he was in. Either Clarke needs to crack some heads or stop playing him. I also couldn't understand our tactics. The Czechs looked weak when we ran at them with the ball on the ground, but for some reason we chose not to do that, over and over again. When Adams came on he clearly worried them - I do wonder if it would have been different if he'd started. 

Really disappointed with the Czech team as well to be honest. Think it's safe to say that absolutely nobody else in the tournament will be remotely worried about facing them. England's midfield will put them to the sword. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    Even if you are a "sweeper keeper" you still have to make sure that you can't get beaten like that.  Be on the edge of your area if you want, but don't be 10 or 15 metres outside of it.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Goalkeepers tend to run backwards /sideways when they have been lobbed like this, when to gain the extra fraction of seconds they need to  sprint and then turn towards the end.
    Howvere Marshall did in fact sprint directly back to his goal and still couldn’t get there, showing how good the shot was and how far out he was.  

With hindsight it wasn’t a case of giving the ball away, it was a deflection from a shot at goal