What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    The Adjustment Bureau.

Somebody in Hollywood has the idea that anything ever written by Philip K Dick can be made into a movie. The evidence here would suggest otherwise, although wether the appalling smushiness was part of what he originally wrote I don't know.

I guess the nice thing to say is that it is classic Hollywood - not a word or a scene ( a few bare shoulders aside) that couldn't have made it to the silver screen in the 50's.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    equalsql;53666" said:
    "Wristcutters. A love story". Nuts but good fun. Tom Waits, that kid from Almost Famous and a eastern European guy with a bad moustache who drives a car with a black-hole under the passenger seat...and they're  all dead. What's not to like. 
    Excellent film that. Quite odd, but good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15862
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Think someone on here said, when it 1st came out, not as good as the series. Think I'd agree with that, it was very well done, but it never managed to capture the greyness of 70's Britain, which the series did so well. As the whole sub text was that dreariness and greyness (the whole faded nation not willing to give up it's place in the world despite being a boring little place) it was a bit of a glaring omission.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having not watched the series, in general I liked Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but thought it suffered from being paced a bit badly.  There was a big build up to the mystery, but then the conclusion seemed to be delivered in a very short sequence leaving a slight 'well is that it?' feeling. 

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Prometheus

I'd put it off because I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, but tbh I really enjoyed it. I suspect a lot of criticism was a reaction to the uber-hype that foreshadowed it? In any case I'd give it a solid 7/10.
    All practice and no theory
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

NO SPOILERS, GODAMMIT!!!
    randomhandclaps;56571" said:
    Having not watched the series, in general I liked Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but thought it suffered from being paced a bit badly.  There was a big build up to the mystery, but then the conclusion seemed to be delivered in a very short sequence leaving a slight 'well is that it?' feeling.  I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.
    the book does that as well. Enormously long, complicated mystery and the conclusion is a bit ' oh, is that it?' However, it is all that detail and hand wringing in book and film that's more important. I enjoyed the film a lot more the second time I saw it when I could forget about the plot.
  • ddlooping said:

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

NO SPOILERS, GODAMMIT!!!
    Don't worry, I didn't mention with character Colin Firth is! ;)
  • Argo, wasn't expecting much but ended up really enjoying it
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ddlooping said:

NO SPOILERS, GODAMMIT!!!
    Don't worry, I didn't mention with character Colin Firth is! ;)

Tell me what movies you'll be watching soon and I won't tell you their endings via PM. ;)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Finally got round to watching Seven Psychopaths - very funny in places, but not as wonderful as it perhaps likes to think, but Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken were as enjoyable to watch as always.
    Finally got 'round to it myself; I enjoyed it a lot, very 'In Bruge' but I guess what do you expect - and Tom Waits, dammit!  :)
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    Cloud Atlas. Been looking forward to watching this for ages and wasn't dissapointed, properly epic I can see me watching it again soon. I'd really like to see a whole movie set in neo-Seoul.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15862
    Breakfast Club. Still a stone cold classic. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    S.W.A.T.

Dire.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The Internship. I liked it.

The Way Way Back, a bit heavy handed with its message, but pretty enjoyable.
    My V key is broken
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73050

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

Exactly. I knew it was going to be him from about halfway through.

I watched most of Gregory's Girl tonight (will catch up on the rest later) - beautifully-made, gentle fun. And amazingly, nowhere near as dated as I expected. Either that or I'm *really* old and 1980 just doesn't seem that long ago... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:

I watched most of Gregory's Girl tonight (will catch up on the rest later) - beautifully-made, gentle fun. And amazingly, nowhere near as dated as I expected. Either that or I'm *really* old and 1980 just doesn't seem that long ago... :)
    I love Gregory's Girl.  I remember watching it in the 90s and thinking it had aged, now I watch it and don't think it has as it is just a classic.  A truly great British film.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Series of Events.

I put it on for the kids, and I ended up really enjoying it. Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    Magic Boys  

advice  DONT WATCH

(see my thread- Its official)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Series of Events.

I put it on for the kids, and I ended up really enjoying it. Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf.
    Pity there were no sequels. Have you/your kids read the books? My youngest has often been a poorly motivated reader but he enjoyed those and my eldest loved them. I read the first one with them and I love its quirkiness and the images it creates.