What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Smiley" - shit

"Spiders" - pretty shit

"Carrie" - (1976 version) - never seen it before, it was great. I have little hope for the remake however.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got Spiders 2 some time ago for £1, and I think I  was ripped off.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24880
    Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Series of Events.

I put it on for the kids, and I ended up really enjoying it. Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf.
    Pity there were no sequels. Have you/your kids read the books? My youngest has often been a poorly motivated reader but he enjoyed those and my eldest loved them. I read the first one with them and I love its quirkiness and the images it creates. 

No - but I might get one now.

The kids are currently devouring David Walliams' books. I've read 2 of them, "Mr Stink" and "Gangster Granny" and I thought they were excellent. Walliams really seems to have understood the appeal of Roald Dahl without ripping him off.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24880
    I got the bluray of The Addams Family. After not being available for so long I wondered if I would still love it.

I did.

Raul Julia was amazing. Perfect performance.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    fretmeister;62887" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

fretmeister said:

Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Series of Events.

I put it on for the kids, and I ended up really enjoying it. Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf.

Pity there were no sequels. Have you/your kids read the books? My youngest has often been a poorly motivated reader but he enjoyed those and my eldest loved them. I read the first one with them and I love its quirkiness and the images it creates. 

No - but I might get one now.
    Been a few years since I read them or seen the film ( my kids are teenagers now) but IIRC the film is a composite of the first three books. I think there are 13 in the series.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    EricTheWeary said: The Adjustment Bureau.
    As usual for a PKD adaptation, they makers missed the point. I'd recommend the source material, "The Adjustment Team" which is freely available on the web owing to an error with filing the US copyright.

Talking dogs. Should have been in the film.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Fancying something with an old-fashioned British feel to it I whacked Reach For The Sky into the DVD player recently. Jolly decent film, old boy.

Although it did leave me wondering about which episodes in Douglas Bader's life had been "transposed" or otherwise edited for "artistic reasons". Maybe I should read the book to find out
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    Just saw 'Captain Phillips' at my local cinema the other night - SUPERB!! One of the most gripping films I've seen. Rumour has it that 'Gravity' is even better.

Also, taped Memento off Film4 a few weeks ago - just watched it - Very good except for the fact that the last few minutes didn't record!!! 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000 said:
    Also, taped Memento off Film4 a few weeks ago - just watched it - Very good except for the fact that the last few minutes didn't record!!! 
    Basically he discovers it was all a dream and he's still an actor trapped in Neighbours.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Oldboy - simply stunning. Been meaning to watch it since it came out, but for whatever reason, didn't get round to it till now. Phenomenal story, great acting, and some of the best scenes I've seen in any movie for a long long time. It's like the best of tarantino and the cohen brothers in one film.
  • gusman2x said:
    Oldboy - simply stunning. Been meaning to watch it since it came out, but for whatever reason, didn't get round to it till now. Phenomenal story, great acting, and some of the best scenes I've seen in any movie for a long long time. It's like the best of tarantino and the cohen brothers in one film.
    It is one of my favourite ever movies and I envy the fact that you just watched it for the first time.  Have you seen Lady Vengeance?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15883
    I actually put off watching Oldboy cos people said it was super scary (and with me being a girly scaredy cat I was afeart to watch it) but did in the end. Truly excellent, good head fuck kind of a film, but not at all scary.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Is Gravity worth a viewing? Also, I watched The Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And another Hanks movie Castaway, one of my favourites.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    gusman2x said:
    It is one of my favourite ever movies and I envy the fact that you just watched it for the first time.  Have you seen Lady Vengeance?

No i haven't. Is it part of the vengence trilogy?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013

Yeah.  Old Boy is probably the best (just) of the three, but both the others are brilliant.  Exactly like Oldboy both Lady Vengeance (a bit more) and Sympathy For Mr Vengeance (the most of all three) jump around the time line a lot and require close following, but are well worth the effort.  I particularly like the moral question that Lady Vengeance raises. 

I'm A Cyborg and Thirst, although separate entities to the other three are also works of excellence and if you liked Old Boy then all four are definitely worth viewing.

If Chan-wook Park was an American director he would easily be considered alongside Tarantino et al. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12515
    Old Boy is great. The octopus bit always makes me squirm though :-S
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Is Gravity worth a viewing? Also, I watched The Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And another Hanks movie Castaway, one of my favourites.
    It's not out till the 8th.

Though helpfully a NASA scientist pointed out that the premise of the plot is ridiculous due to orbital speeds and altitudes... because that's what is important about a thriller movie set in space.

This week I watched Machete Kills and I'm not sure I've laughed so hard at a film in ages. Brilliant over-the-top action. Makes Crank series look like a documentary. Lots of sexy wimmins in not a lot, lots of kerplosions, and Charlie Sheen as the US president. What more could you want? 11/10 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I've not seeen Lady Vengeance. Seen the other two. I can't remember the name of the one with the deaf guy. Mr Vengeance?
    My V key is broken
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sympathy For Mr. Vengence