What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The bit I liked in Bladerunner was spotting the Millennium Falcon! If you didn't spot it have another look, it's there :-)
    I'm too busy and to fucking lazy to go thru it again, where?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I watched the latest Riddick movie - it was surprisingly okay actually.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    Was Hoping to watch Flight tonight but Netflix failed to come up with the goods so Mrs9000 suggested we watch Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe instead. Unfortunately I guessed the ending early on but still enjoyable..
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Finally watched Blade Runner, thought it was a bit poo really.

Too much neon ain't it

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• jd0272 said:
    The bit I liked in Bladerunner was spotting the Millennium Falcon! If you didn't spot it have another look, it's there :-)
    I'm too busy and to fucking lazy to go thru it again, where?
    http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/tie-ins/star-wars/

I watched the directors cut with a mate once, it's clear as day when it's pointed out.
  • He's a replicant, obviously, which is every bit as powerful as if he was a human. They've only got a limited shelf-life together at the end, the origami revelation from Gaff etc. Throws a whole new perspective on the film if you watch it again with that knowledge.
    Use Your Brian
  • "Berberian Sound Studio"

Load of Shite.

Was really looking forward to it, and it is normally my kind of film but it was just dull and pointless.
  • He's a replicant, obviously, which is every bit as powerful as if he was a human. They've only got a limited shelf-life together at the end, the origami revelation from Gaff etc. Throws a whole new perspective on the film if you watch it again with that knowledge.
    It makes it contrived and cliche'd if he is, "Oh look, they're soul mates and were practically made for each other"...!

The only part of that version I like, is the that Deckard has Gaff's memories/is Gaff's replicant. But that's only because Adama kicks ass almost as much as Han Jones. :D
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It's well known Ridley Scott makes up the film as he's shooting it.

In the original PKD book - Deccard is not a replicant... he wonders if he is for a while, but eventually Rachael chucks his replicant sheep off the roof and his wife leaves him...

I reckon a combination of Ridley Scott's ego deciding to try and out-plot-twist PKD (biiig mistake) and Harrison Ford's wooden acting - made the idea pop into his head...

I like the film it broke genres but the story deserves a retelling with James Edward Olmos and Rutger Hauer in their original roles. Decard could be played by Will Smith or Adam Sandler - or Will Smith and Adam Sandler - it'd still be a better movie. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I dunno, think you're missing a trick if you think Ford is wooden in BR - I think it's an easy criticism to make of Ford because of his mumbly style but it fits the role, just like many another noir-detective. There's a lot of little nuances to the performance that pay off in repeat viewings. So, couple of questions...

Do you think the film should have followed the story more closely?

Which version do you prefer?
    Use Your Brian
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I couldn't choose:

Gaff isn't in the book - but is freakin' awesome.

The depth of social decay and crumbling in the book is far far greater.

Decards life is far more crumbling and dysfunctional

Rutger Hauer makes Roy Batty.

but I tell you this - who recognised Leon in Fifth Element? Multi-pass!!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've just watched something called 'Nemesis' on BBC iPlayer. Sort of a cross between  Robocop. Terminator and tinned sprouts. Robots, foreign accents and a cheap alternative that stinks and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

If I'm doing it an injustice, I'll be surprised. Meh!
  • frankus said:
    I couldn't choose:

Gaff isn't in the book - but is freakin' awesome.

The depth of social decay and crumbling in the book is far far greater.

Decards life is far more crumbling and dysfunctional

Rutger Hauer makes Roy Batty.

but I tell you this - who recognised Leon in Fifth Element? Multi-pass!!
    Totally agree on all points, apart from Fifth Element, which I haven't seen.
    Use Your Brian
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    edited December 2013
    Hunger games. I enjoyed the first one much more than I thought I would and I've been eagerly waiting thisun. I wasn't disappointed, although the ending was a little abrupt it left me really anticipating the next one. Good stuff. Also the quickest 2 1/2 hr movie ever, didn't seem that long at all.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    edited December 2013
    Just watched Dead Man for about the third time. (I think there may be two films with this title - this is the Johnny Depp one). Mesmerising.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12541
    edited December 2013
    Otway The Movie. Great film about John Otway "rock and roll's greatest failure". I must confess a bit of a vested interest here as a mate of mine is the director, but it's still a very good film with some genuine laugh out loud moments. It's doing the rounds in various cinemas at the moment.
    http://otwaythemovie.com/
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Prisoners (2013)

I know what you're thinking. How did this movie rate 8.1 on IMDB and become an Oscar contender when it is 45 minutes too long and contains several ridiculous plot holes?
    Maybe it Hugh Jackman's performance?
    Or maybe it is Jóhann Jóhannsson's score...?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmclj2xL8yo

• 13 Assasins ... blimey  right up my street 10/10

not a good film to watch eating your tea though, its a bit messy.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    boogieman said:
    Otway The Movie. Great film about John Otway "rock and roll's greatest failure". I must confess a bit of a vested interest here as a mate of mine is the director, but it's still a very good film with some genuine laugh out loud moments. It's doing the rounds in various cinemas at the moment.
    http://otwaythemovie.com/
    I didn't even know this existed! And I have missed the Newcastle screening (by about 3 months!!!).

Guess I'll have to wait till it's out on DVD.
  • Col_Decker;99041" said:
    13 Assasins ... blimey  right up my street 10/10

not a good film to watch eating your tea though, its a bit messy.
    Superb film.

I'm looking forward to 47 Ronin too. And also slightly dreading it.