What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sean Bean always dies!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I watched Gravity last night. Very entertaining and great visuals. As some as said, a bit of artistic licence, but it is a science fiction film, not a documentary. Edge of the seat stuff.
    Gravity should get a pass for any artistic license, they take enough to actually make a story and the whole thing is a love letter to real space exploration. No-one watches a rom-com and checks whether the train timetables actually line up.
    Good remakes: The Departed. Haven't seen Infernal Affairs, don't even care if it's better. (Thought yes, most are awful.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    edited November 2013
    Hunger Games: Catching Fire 8.5/10

Excellent, and not in a "good but not aimed at my demographic" way. Definitely better than the first one, though won't make a huge amount of sense if you haven' seen #1. Also, can I have a Jennifer Lawrence please?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    I couldn't understand head or tail about hunger games. Did you have to have seen the first one or something?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    I couldn't understand head or tail about hunger games. Did you have to have seen the first one or something?
    Yeah. The new one isn't big on flashbacks or explanation. It's very much intended as a series of connected films with one big story rather than 3 that can be taken as individual movies like the Aliens or Spidermans or something.
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    Yes. I felt like I was from a different planet from everyone else in the cinema.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Tell ye what's really good, euro flick Bonbon. Bloke inherits a large breed South American (banned on these shores) mastiff kind of dog. Bloody brilliant. Sounds shite, but it's not. Very poignant and incredibly well shot.

Amorres Perros too, four tales intertwined, again, around the fate if a dog, superb.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272 said:
    Amorres Perros too, four tales intertwined, again, around the fate if a dog, superb.

Brilliant film.  I was mentioning that to someone just yesterday.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • viz said:
    Yes. I felt like I was from a different planet from everyone else in the cinema.
    Reminds me of this "review" of TESB;

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I really wonder if the reviewer ever watched the first episode and his view changed - it's a pretty fair review :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Muscle Shoals and also the Stone Roses documentary. Both pretty good. it was amazing to see how many hit records The Swampers played on and how little I knew about them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    Gravity

It's very good. Yes, there are some things that aren't quite believable if you know a bit about physics and space tech, but it really doesn't matter and it's easy to ignore them.

8/10

(I did actually see it in 2D - I don't like 3D - at a small cinema which doesn't do 3D.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Elysium 6.5/10

It was fine scifi fair. Fairly standard 2nd movie where an indie guy suddenly has huge budget and time-pressure to get something released quickly, so the script loses something.
  • Finally watched Blade Runner, thought it was a bit poo really.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Muppet.

American Reunion - 7/10
    Pretty decent follow-up to the first few; lot's of laughs to be had. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oi! :D

I kind of enjoyed it but it just didn't excite me as much as I was expecting. Maybe if I'd seen it when I was younger, I don't know...
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Well, he's watching American Pie movies, so he's hardly a paragon of good taste :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Heck, I watch anything! :D

Blade Runner's great, but I side with Ford's view on it that Deckard was human. The impact isn't there otherwise, no matter what "shock-factor" it was meant to have.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    Blade Runner's great, but I side with Ford's view on it that Deckard was human. The impact isn't there otherwise, no matter what "shock-factor" it was meant to have.
    Agreed. It's far more powerful if Deckard is a human who questions his humanity and falls for a replicant, rather than them being two replicants.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The bit I liked in Bladerunner was spotting the Millennium Falcon! If you didn't spot it have another look, it's there :-)