What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

Shit endings?  Are you forgetting the Langoliers?  :D

Does it still count as a shit ending if the beginning and middle were also shit? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Frozen Ground, Nicholas Cage and John Cussack. Not bad based on true events. Too many topless women in it!!!.  @-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:

Shit endings?  Are you forgetting the Langoliers?  :D

Does it still count as a shit ending if the beginning and middle were also shit? ;)

:D

I reckon fans would use the term 'in keeping'.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited November 2013
    The ending in the Watchmen movie was much better than the ending in the book.
    But the rest of it was less good. They missed out on the seedy, grimy feel of the world. It doesn't much feel like an alternate timeline, it isn't different enough. And there's no smoking. That makes it seem cleaner somehow.

Excellent casting though, and the beginning was very good. The most annoying thing is how close they got to it being right. The less said about Leonard Cohen, the better.

No idea why people think it was unfilmable though.
    My V key is broken
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Myranda said: The Shining is absolutely bloody amazing and Stephen King moaned that it wasn't the same as his book - nope, but it was brilliant rather than average...
    I watched this again the other day, and I have to say as a film it is pretty shit.

The book was a whole lot better. But, to look on the bright side, at least Kubrick isn't around to adapt "Dr Sleep" :)

(I have a lot of time for King as an author, and I can recognise the one valid piece of criticism in this thread - that his endings can disappoint - I'd cite the ending of the film version of "The Mist" as better than the story. He's worth it just for "Hearts in Atlantis" though)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Lixarto said:

I have a lot of time for King as an author, and I can recognise the one valid piece of criticism in this thread - that his endings can disappoint...
    He seriously petered out with the Dark Tower series, that really disappointed me. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Really? I liked the self-referential stuff; it made sense within the fiction. Mordred being a spider (again) was perhaps obvious, but there were valid reasons for that (as in "It").

Most of all, I liked "The Dark Tower" for Oy. He was great.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Myranda said:
    It's why my favourite adaptation of one of his books is Needful Things...
    The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, Misery? :)
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    ddlooping said:
    Myranda said:
    It's why my favourite adaptation of one of his books is Needful Things...
    The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, Misery? :)
    I'd forgotten those... but I find Needful Things to have a certain charm... Max Von Sydow is brilliant fun as the baddie
  • Tried to watch Mr.Magoo (sp?) yesterday with the kids. Utter crap

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• If you want a good horror film nowadays you are most probably going to have to put up with subtitles - or wait until there's a dire remake that misses the point.  The Orphanage is a great one if you've not seen it.

IanSavage said:
    Seeing Saw today.  Looking forward to it. Really getting into my horror, so if anyone can recommend good, stupidly creepy films (a la The Ring), I'm game.

If you can put up with subtitles, there's a Spanish fillum called '[Rec]' which is pretty damned creepy.
    Subtitles are fine - my all time favourite film is Oldboy.  

Sadly, this beautiful tragedy is being remade, and they've already added in the standard American 'one liner before I kill you' thing.  Hopefully, they will at least capture the spirit of the film (IE confusion and tension until the last half hour with very few hints as to the actual ending).  I'll watch it, but I feel guilty to be part of the reason remakes will forever exist - the typical 'fan going to see how good or bad they made it'.  I don't know why it NEEDS remaking - would you remake The Godfather? Or The Evil Dead?

Oh, wait... ¬_¬
  • Lixarto said:
    Really? I liked the self-referential stuff; it made sense within the fiction. Mordred being a spider (again) was perhaps obvious, but there were valid reasons for that (as in "It").

Most of all, I liked "The Dark Tower" for Oy. He was great.
    GAH! I love Oy.  I'm not a huge SK fan (though Misery and The Shining are wonderful) but it's testament to him how he could convey so much personality to an animal that only makes one noise... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157

Sadly, this beautiful tragedy is being remade, and they've already added in the standard American 'one liner before I kill you' thing.  Hopefully, they will at least capture the spirit of the film (IE confusion and tension until the last half hour with very few hints as to the actual ending).  I'll watch it, but I feel guilty to be part of the reason remakes will forever exist - the typical 'fan going to see how good or bad they made it'.  I don't know why it NEEDS remaking - would you remake The Godfather? Or The Evil Dead?
    Nah… just boycott it. There is no reason they need to be remade. I'm not familiar with Oldboy, but a couple of my favourite films have been remade, and it would take being forced at gunpoint to make me watch them, even for free.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013

The need to remake Let The Right On In still angers me.  If you are going to remake a foreign language film, fuck it about and miss the point then just make a different film based on the same concept.

I hate the way it makes you sound like a bit of a pretentious prick when you endlessly say "It's not as good as the original!", but unfortunately remakes are almost always crap.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Oh, wait... ¬_¬
    Oh, they re-made [Rec] ages ago - it's called 'Quarantine', don't touch it with a ten-foot pole. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Men Who Stare at Goats.
    Very different beast to the book. Enjoyable romp.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Accidently watched Armageddon last night (just happened to be starting on BBC3 as I sat down) so I thought I'd give it a go.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

I may be slightly behind the curve here, but WFT....my 5 year old could have picked holes in that film.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

The need to remake Let The Right On In still angers me.  If you are going to remake a foreign language film, fuck it about and miss the point then just make a different film based on the same concept.

I hate the way it makes you sound like a bit of a pretentious prick when you endlessly say "It's not as good as the original!", but unfortunately remakes are almost always crap.

Hammer bought the rights to make an English language version of the film before it was apparent the original film would be such a massive hit. They might even have begun the process of recording it - I can't remember.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Makes sense that as it was a rather speedy 'remake'.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I watched Date Movie the other night - shockingly crap as it was it was still a better remake ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?