What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Stake Land.
    I think you have to be a certain kind of knackered to watch stuff like this and it certainly did have much original thinking going on but it kept me engaged.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    bertie said:
    World War Z - Don't know what all the moaning was about TBH. I thought it was pretty good.
    same here,  I normaly hate "old style" zombie films,  perhaps thats why the traditionalists slated it so

we watched Epic the other week -  fantastic   :)
    And me (World War Z).
    I often wonder what the severe critics think this film should have been like. It's just a movie. I expected nothing and I was entertained for a couple of hours.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited November 2013

'Predators'.

Not bad actually. Milking the Predator franchise a bit, but I thought it was worth watching nonetheless.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73107
    edited November 2013
    Skipped said:
    Parkland (2013).

Found this hard to watch. A bit depressing. Almost looks like a documentary when Kennedy arrives at the hospital which gives the film it's title. Must be tough deciding what to do with a patient who has just a trace of a heartbeat but also has part of his head missing. And even harder when the Secret Service agents are refusing to leave the emergency room.
    Probably not. They just went through the motions even though they knew he was really dead anyway. Even more stressfully, the same team had to try to save Oswald - and nearly did.

I just read the excellent Vincent Bugliosi book 'Four Days In November', by the way - which anyone interested in the 'conspiracy' should. The evidence is absolutely overwhelming and compelling.

I hadn't heard of the Parkland film, although it appears to be based on Bugliosi's work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013

'Predators'.

I found Predators way too similar to the Pianist though. :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I didn't mind WWZ either, but I think when people criticise it they're thinking of it in relation to the book (which I haven't read)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/wwz/wwz.png
    All practice and no theory

'Predators'.

Not having seen the 'Pianist', I'm unable to comment. Other than both film titles beginning with a 'P', of course.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    dafuzz said:
     people criticise it they're thinking of it in relation to the book (which I haven't read)

this always boils my piss........

I dont read books, ever.  so from a "missing out" perspective I really dont give a fuck,  I just hate the sanctimonious,  higher ground "Im obviously a better being"  kind of reason they do it

not that Im bitter 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896

'Predators'.

I preferred the nude scenes in Pianist tho.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Predators'.

Not having seen the 'Pianist', I'm unable to comment. Other than both film titles beginning with a 'P', of course.

Adrian Brody worries about stuff and has a bit of a shitty time pretty much covers both movies. 

I thought Predators was the 2nd best movie featuring the Predator. Definitely better than Prometheus in any case.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    bertie said:
    dafuzz said:
     people criticise it they're thinking of it in relation to the book (which I haven't read)

this always boils my piss........

I dont read books, ever.  so from a "missing out" perspective I really dont give a fuck,  I just hate the sanctimonious,  higher ground "Im obviously a better being"  kind of reason they do it

not that Im bitter 
    If the story is clever and full of twists in the book, but trite and forgettable in the movie its understandable... 

The worst in my mind is the book-based-apologists... 

Talk about Film X of Book Y.
    Oh wow, that was amazing!
    What was?! I saw 2 hours of mediocre special effects, terrible acting and a plot that was so full of holes it hardly made sense!
    What holes?
    Well when character 1 did thing 2 in scene 3
    Oh, that's explained in the book...
    What?
    Well if you read the book it all makes perfect sense.

Riiight... so shit film. If you can't tell the important parts of a story in 2 hours, consider a 2 or 3 part series of films. Still not enough? TV mini-series? No? Erm... full on US 25 episodes of 42 minutes each? MORE? 5 seasons? Still more? then there's only one answer... 
    Leave it in book form and make a story of something else.

If I read I book that doesn't make sense or is badly written I don't rent the author to explain it, I say "it's shit". 
    Why when a shit film of a popular book comes out do people say "if you read the book that all makes sense" while smugly enjoying the pus-filled-cinematic-tumour that was just pushing into our eyes and ears? Bad story telling is bad... I shouldn't need to go to the source material to understand the film.

So, from me. The next time some one is telling you that a film wasn't shit, you just need to read 12 novels and a companion explanatory book before what happened wasn't shit, but an excellent homage to a writers work... punch them in the penis/cooch till they shut up and never speak about films again!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Books are always better, for they are books :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    Books are always better, for they are books :)
    Quoted for truth
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    It would be interesting to come up with a list of films that are better than the book. There are some (at least one I can think of, anyway!), but that's another thread...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

So, which half-decent films have been made into a book?

• I bet there's never been a Jason Statham film made in to a book.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The Iceman. It was meh.

THE BOOK IS FUCKING AWESOME.

So there.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I bet there's never been a Jason Statham film made in to a book.
    Can Statham read?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    ICBM said:
    It would be interesting to come up with a list of films that are better than the book. There are some (at least one I can think of, anyway!), but that's another thread...

into the wild. Good book, great film.

The Road, both equally great, but in different ways.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

So, which half-decent films have been made into a book?
    2001: A Space Odyssey is the only one that comes to mind. Even then they were written roughly in parallel, although the film came out first.

The film I was thinking of that's better than the book is Logan's Run.