What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited December 2013

The thing with films is that they are often judged on things that are irrelevant to them. You can't judge AC/DC on their saxophonist so you shouldn't judge Team America on its story or Rear Window on its effects. Etc. With this in mind I have gone through every movie ever made to find the greatest film in cinema history. It took a lot of time, paper and surgery but I did it. The result is in and it is....

Let's face it, we all knew it would be.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 13 Assassins - The film that keeps on giving from beginning to end.  It's just a constant onslaught once the battle starts.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Col_Decker;99041" said:
    13 Assasins ... blimey  right up my street 10/10

not a good film to watch eating your tea though, its a bit messy.
    Superb film.

I'm looking forward to 47 Ronin too. And also slightly dreading it.

When I heard about that I thought 'awesome' cos I love the old samurai legends and stuff. Then I saw the trailer for it ... With nick cage fighting a dragon ... And I thought 'what has this got to do with legend of the 47 ronin?'

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    The American, with George Clooney. I liked it, but then I like anything with Clooney. Not a blockbuster, but not bad.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I watched Steve McQueen's 'Shame' last weekend on Netflix. Thought it was excellent. Gratuitous shots of Fassbender's lunchbox too. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    edited December 2013
    Col_Decker;99041" said:
    13 Assasins ... blimey  right up my street 10/10

not a good film to watch eating your tea though, its a bit messy.
    Superb film.

I'm looking forward to 47 Ronin too. And also slightly dreading it.

When I heard about that I thought 'awesome' cos I love the old samurai legends and stuff. Then I saw the trailer for it ... With nick cage fighting a dragon ... And I thought 'what has this got to do with legend of the 47 ronin?'
    It's Keanu Reeves actually, but raw timber is hard to identify so I'll let you off. ;)

The effects look pretty neat, and I think it could be a pretty entertaining popcorn-flick tbh, we're going to the cinema for it anyway as I doubt it's going to have quite the same effect on a small screen.

@CabbageCat has it (mostly) right - films are very hard to compare to one another, even in the same genre. But 2012 some fail at all points. :p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    I watched Steve McQueen's 'Shame' last weekend on Netflix. Thought it was excellent. Gratuitous shots of Fassbender's lunchbox too. 
    That's brilliant - best British film of the 2010s IMO.
    Use Your Brian
  • The thing with films is that they are often judged on things that are irrelevant to them. You can't judge AC/DC on their saxophonist so you shouldn't judge Team America on its story or Rear Window on its effects. Etc. With this in mind I have gone through every movie ever made to find the greatest film in cinema history. It took a lot of time, paper and surgery but I did it. The result is in and it is....

Let's face it, we all knew it would be.

So a good film is one that succeeds at everything it's trying to? That's fair enough. 2012 isn't.
    Use Your Brian

• I watched Frozen yesterday, very good indeed.  Much better than Free birds which I also watched recently, which was not complete rubbish.  I went with the family but even if you don't have kids Frozen is worth seeing. 

Frozen has a great Mickey Mouse ' Get a Horse' before it starts as well, with some great use of 3D where it switches between 2D black and white before they burst out of the screen in colour and look like they are at the front of the cinema.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Loobs said:
    I've seen a clip of his peen flopping around in that. It made me feel inadequate, to say the least.
    My V key is broken
  • The Croods - all fairly predictable, but jolly good fun.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - I saw it in that 'high frame rate'.  It's hard to find a word for how it looks - the sharpness (especially in daylight scenes) it's remarkable - it almost seems backlit.  The film takes more liberties with the plot, but it's very good - nearly three hours but it doesn't drag, and the 3d is very good (for a change).  8.5/10
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • supessupes Frets: 200
    Watched Cloud Atlas this afternoon and have no idea what to make of it. Sort of enjoyed it but there was too much going on. I was trying to tie the stories together but I think it's trying to be too clever to be enjoyable.
  • supessupes Frets: 200
    And before anybody says I should read the book - no, the movie should be able to stand on it's own!
  • Cloud atlas is one of those that needs a second viewing.  You see the links more clearly when you understand the way its all fits together as  whole.  

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    You see the links more clearly when you understand the way its all fits together as  whole.  
    Or if you've read the book :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • So this week, I saw the oldboy remake (didn't pay) and the second hobbit film.

Don't waste your time on oldboy. Utter shite. Missed the point so hard, it's unbelievable. There were a couple of action scenes, which were pretty great, but other than that... And the 'reveal' at the end... In the original, a book is opened and the viewer works it out with the protagonist. In the remake, it's several set pieces, spelling it out.

The hobbit... 5/10. Too long! Didn't need to be 3 films, and they have thrown in some side stories that are naff and irrelevant. There were great scenes, but again, I feel they missed the point with some parts, such as smaug (though it was great in its own right, so I can forgive it).

I saw it in hfr 3d, and the visuals were amazing but too good! Some scenes, particularly near the start, we're clearly on a set, and the underwater effects during the barrel scene was awful. Disappointed, as I loved the Lord of the rings films.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Alan Partridge Alpha Papa

could have been an episode of Alan Partridge - I hope it does well in the States for the novelty - this is Norfolk type thing.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Just seen The Butler. OK but not great. Confirms my opinion that Forresr Whittaker is a pretty decent actor though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Gravity

A bit poo. Kinda like Open Water or 127 Hours if you've seen either of those. It all just seemed so improbable, and the physics were just plain wrong a lot of the time which jarred me back to reality.
    All practice and no theory
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    Almost got through Cloud Atlas.......................     gave up in the end
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.