What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    hungrymark;121602" said:
    boogieman said:

VimFuego;115146" said:Sightseers. Was weird, really weird. A really weird mix of the mind meltingly banal and the mind bogglingly surreal.

I liked it. Although the ending was blindingly obvious from about halfway through the film.

Don't say any more, that's next on my list!
    Ok no spoilers. I'm sure you'll enjoy it though
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched the first Hunger Games filum over ecksmass, knowing really only what was written on the back of the DVD case.

Despite the fact that it's a little derivative, IMO, and there were one or two moments that were hinted at too strongly and thus were utterly predictable (e.g. the archery scene where she shoots the apple from the pig's mouth - could that have been any more obvious?!) the acting was good enough to carry it off and I enjoyed it.
    Not quite sure it says anything deep or culturally significant...though I suspect it thinks it does..but an enjoyable filum all the same.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    boogieman said:
    hungrymark;121602" said:
    boogieman said:

VimFuego;115146" said:Sightseers. Was weird, really weird. A really weird mix of the mind meltingly banal and the mind bogglingly surreal.

I liked it. Although the ending was blindingly obvious from about halfway through the film.

Don't say any more, that's next on my list!
    Ok no spoilers. I'm sure you'll enjoy it though
    ;)
    I enjoyed it but largely because I enjoy anything with Brummie accents. Plus the film's combination of the mundane and the absurd tends to work well for me.

I am working my way through rewatching Never Let me Go, watching it in bits because a) no one else in the family is interested and b) it is unbelievably sad and I can only take so much at a time. The book is a personal favourite as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @EricTheWeary Never Let Me Go is an outstanding book, isn't it? The film is excellent too, although they clearly felt the need to explicitly explain some of what was going on, which is a shame because the beauty of the book is that he doesn't do that - it slowly dawns on you what the children are there for and what their lives are about, he doesn't feel the need to set it all out at the start like a Sci-Fi might.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @EricTheWeary Never Let Me Go is an outstanding book, isn't it? The film is excellent too, although they clearly felt the need to explicitly explain some of what was going on, which is a shame because the beauty of the book is that he doesn't do that - it slowly dawns on you what the children are there for and what their lives are about, he doesn't feel the need to set it all out at the start like a Sci-Fi might.
    Exactly. It is pretty much set out at the start of the film when it doesn't really need to be. Perhaps they felt everything needed to be simplified a bit for the cinema going audience.

I have read a couple of his other novels and they also have that lovely melancholic style yet about completely different subjects.
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I watched Requiem For A Dream this afternoon. There's a feel-good, life-affirming film if ever I've seen one. Christ.
    Use Your Brian
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A Good Day To Die Hard - A good reason to halt the on-going franchise.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Repo Men. 
    Okay romp for watching with teenage sons but very predictable ( without trying, just everything is so obvious) and so many references/ rip offs of other sci fi movies - Westworld, Blade Runner, Vanilla Skies ( IIRC that right) and I'm sure more.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited January 2014
    Elysium - what makes this fillum is Wikus yah? Yah remimber Wikus from Distrect Noin? will 'es Beck in dis an 'es a bad-ass saffer mercenary in an 'elicopter - you know? total role reversal! - he's like Boba Fett - Rest of the film kinda happens around him... Wikus! (Wikus/10).

Starsky and Hutch - I'd not be surprised to find Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller were genertically engineered for this role... Snoop Dogg was a disappointment, being a bit too much establishment. I did not like the Cameos... (7/10)

Worlds End - I've got an idea for a script, basically take the symmetry of a Pegg and Frost film, with all the nods to other films of a Pegg and Frost film, add a cornetto colour and cast Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in it... work out who's turn it is to fail to jump over a fence and make that character the protagonist who refuses to grow up.. set it in a suburban setting with a pub or two.. (7/10)

Iron Man - this is my go to Ironing movie... it's not just a cynical ploy to get asked to iron less, I actually love this film, of course it's got faults (17/20)

Cars - with my youngest, I like this film and I like the strong message at the end which would be a spoiler.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    The Woman in Black. Fantastically well filmed, stunning locations, well scripted and acted. My problem with stories like this is that why do the dead (or undead if you prefer) have powers that they wouldn't have had in life. I won't say the ending, but how did she manage to do that (for those that know it)? She had to have supernatural powers, and where do they come from? These things are never explained in ghost stories.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    The Woman in Black. Fantastically well filmed, stunning locations, well scripted and acted. My problem with stories like this is that why do the dead (or undead if you prefer) have powers that they wouldn't have had in life. I won't say the ending, but how did she manage to do that (for those that know it)? She had to have supernatural powers, and where do they come from? These things are never explained in ghost stories.

One of a stack of DVDs on top of telly waiting to be watched.

I watched Mr Stink with the kids yesterday and rather enjoyed it.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    VimFuego said:
    Given that the dead cannot return and are only present in our memories, ghosts are metaphors for unresolved issues... in which case they are as powerful as we believe them to be. ;) ... and the reason they're not explained in ghost stories is every one is empowered by different things ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?

hmmm, that doesn't even begin to explain the ending to the film.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4908

I was watching The Day After Tomorrow last night, it was better than I remembered then I realised I was watching the news and America is actually Frozen. 8/10

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2014
    Watched Sightseers.  I would say as an advert for the British Association Of Caravanning it wasn't the best... or maybe it actually was.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

I loved the use of knitting skills in Sightseers, my kind of film

12 years a slave : didn't think it was great, dialogue was unrealistic I thought, Brad Pitts got so old as well

American Hussle : not bad, enjoyable enough, very stylistic 

ill Manors : very watchable urban film quite enjoyed it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    After Earth.
    Its not great is it? >-)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    After Earth.
    Its not great is it? >-)
    No.

I also saw "Oblivion" - I'm no Tom Cruise fan, but it was better than "After Earth"; at least there was something to think about.

"Gravity" - good, entertaining stuff.

"Red 2" - as fun as the first one. Fantastic.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Watched "Lone Ranger" tonight. I was aware it wasn't received when it came out but it's wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Shadow of the Vampire. It's about the filming of Nosferartau (SP), very bizarre, with some great performances, especially Willem Dafoe as Max Shreck. It does the whole art imitating life imitating art thing.