What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Just back from Inside Llewyn Davis.

Typical Coen brothers, quirky but a bit predictable if you know their style already. Not one of their best, but not bad.

Justin Timberlake is surprisingly excellent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sound City...just brilliant. Such affection from everyone involved, and I've got a whole load more respect for Dave Grohl now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Detachment

finding it hard to think of a greater film I have seen,  and I can't.... nuff said
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    ICBM said:

Typical Coen brothers, quirky but a bit predictable if you know their style already. Not one of their best, but not bad.

Saw that yesterday. Couldn't really connect with the character. I liked A Serious Man a lot more.
    My V key is broken
  • Kill Bill 1 & 2

Not great films, but much fun and many awesome scenes of very silly martial arts.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    holnrew said:
    ICBM said:

Saw that yesterday. Couldn't really connect with the character. I liked A Serious Man a lot more.
    Nor me, although the supporting characters (including the cat :) ) were better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    Dark City

utter bunk
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    12 years a slave. Ok, but not as big as the hype. Fassbinder is the best actor in it, seemed like Brad Pitt just turned up for the paycheque.
  • Watched Priest couple if days ago. Very much like a pilot episode for a tv series. Didn't float my boat.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    watched this for the first time last night:

Creepy as f*ck

Dallas Buyers Club, it feels weird to say Matthew McConaughey is the best thing about a film, but it's true. Jared Leto was also excellent. There was just something missing from the writing, the characters weren't explored as much as they could have been, it was kind of like a shallow, reverse Philadelphia.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    it feels weird to say Matthew McConaughey is the best thing about a film, but it's true.
    I know what you mean but Frailty is also a pretty awesome film.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Watched Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark last night, which we recorded off the telly just before Ecksmass.

Was a bit jumpy and a good few "eeeew" moments, but generally a pretty unsatisying film. Killed off the wrong characters, leaving a very "WTF?" ending.

On TV yesterday: The Towering Inferno.

Now, I SHOULD have seen this a million times before, but I only recall seeing it once - so long ago I was being babysat at the time (and I'm not sure I even watched it ALL then). Great film, of course, but then you all know that.

There are SO many "classic" films I have yet to get round to watching....

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Anyone seen 'Riddick' yet? I fancied taking a punt on it, but was a bit unsure.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Watched "My idiot brother", funny Paul Rudd comedy
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "1408" is really good, one of the better King adaptations.

As is "The Mist".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Recently...

American Hustle - Excellent. Good performances, entertaining and funny.
    Wolf of Wall St - Good but not brilliant. Pretty much the same story arc as Goodfellas, only not as involving. Some funny bits though.
    Use Your Brian
    Watched "My idiot brother", funny Paul Rudd comedy
    I know I've seen it, but I can't remember it. Is it the one where Zooey Deschanel is a lesbian with Rashida Jones? (I wonder why that's the detail I can remember...)
    My V key is broken
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Zooey Deschanel. Oooh, dear!

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Agree with Lixarto regarding The Mist. The ending IMO is actually better than the book too.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom