What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Sightseers - excellent film. I loved the music, the director's style (I enjoyed Kill List and A Field In England, though neither as much as Sightseers, which was written by Alice Lowe and Steve Oram) and the performances. You may have spotted Alice "Madeline 'Liz Asher' Wool" Lowe in last week's episode of Sherlock. 

Mandela - I enjoyed this. The photography was beautiful, and I was especially impressed by the scope of the period design, and the attention to detail. Idris Elba was very good.

Moonrise Kingdom (new DVD purchase). I really enjoyed Fantastic Mr Fox, but this is my first live-action Wes Anderson film. I don't know if I was just grumpy, or hungry, but I found the first half of the film to be so annoying that I almost abandoned it on a couple of occasions. It's so gloopy and twee and directy and full of itself - any emotional weight to a scene or character is undermined by the film's own highbrow-hipster style and reading-from-a-book dialogue.
    Maybe it's just that a Wes Anderson film is its own language, and I need to learn to accept it before I can start to give a shit about the characters on the film's terms - in the second half of the film, I seemed to try and bend with the current and enjoyed the third reel. 
    Hmm. I will give it another chance at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Just watched Empire of the Sun, very very good.

Not normally a Spielberg fan but this is one of my all time favourite films. Particularly the 'Cadillac of the Skies' sequence.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I wasn't taken with Moonrise Kingdom. I like Darjeeling Limited very much though. Give that a go, then Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (not many people like that one, but I love it
    My V key is broken
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5149
    edited January 2014
    Just watched Sicko by Michael Moore. Great film, and a dire warning for what could happen here if we allow the continued eroding of the NHS as true universal healthcare for all.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    My film for ironing was Whiteout. That wasn't great either. 

:(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Man of Steel: Considerably better than I had been led to believe. Not much story to it but did the personal approach quite well, I thought.

The Wolverine: Worst X-Men movie so far. Yes, worse than III. Disappointed.

This is the End: The very definition of Silly American Movie. Some funny moments but an awful lot of unfunny ones.

• Watched 'The Ladykillers' for the first time. Not what I would normally watch but it made me giggle.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Paranormal Activity.The marked ones.
    Expected it to be awful but really enjoyed it.Best film in the series after the first one and quite cleverly ties in with it too.
    Lots of girlies in the cinema screaming made me laugh.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Watched 'The Ladykillers' for the first time. Not what I would normally watch but it made me giggle.
    @Flanging_Fred Which version?1955 or 2004?

If you watch the remake all the weird instruments are made by top guitar bod Danny Ferrington.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Watched 'The Ladykillers' for the first time. Not what I would normally watch but it made me giggle.

The original is genius. The new one is appalling.

Ealing made some amazing films, including the finest film in the known universe, 'Kind Hearts and Coronets'

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The original is genius. The new one is appalling.

Ealing made some amazing films, including the finest film in the known universe, 'Kind Hearts and Coronets'
    Years since I have seen either but the remake wasn't as awful as I had been made to believe as I recall it ( I'm not saying it was great, just not as Godawful as its reputation suggests). However, that was partly as I had it on rental dvd ( probably the last time I ever did that!) and there was a bonus documentary on Danny Ferrington which I enjoyed a lot. 
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2014

The original Ladykillers is one of my all time favourites films and a true Ealing classic.  What is notable is how little the Coen brothers mention their remake when talking bout their filmography.

When asked about the career it usually goes something like this -

Blood Simple
    Raising Arizona
    Miller's Crossing
    Barton Fink
    The Hudsucker Proxy

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The Man Who Wasn't There
    Intolerable Cruelty
    The Ladykillers

No Country for Old Men

Burn After Reading
    A Serious Man
    True Grit

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    Drive 
    Romance and Cigarettes
    Both on catch up and enjoyed both of them.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I think the Coens' Ladykillers is still really good. Not their best work but very enjoyable nonetheless. In fact the only Coens movies I don't really like are Blood Simple and Intolerable Cruelty and even they are perfectly OK.
  • It was the original one with Alec Guiness. Mrs Wilberforce is awesome!

Also watch Hunger Games : catching Fire last night. Quite enjoyed it but the arena section seemed a bit rushed and the problem of finding drinking water was rather glossed over. Still good though. Looking forward to the last in the trilogy.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I saw the Stage production of The Lady Killers last year - Simon Day, Gordon Sinclair, Ralph Little - totally different to the film, more slapstick awesome set too...

I was a bit disappointed watching the film afterwards ... it's great but I think after years of The League of Gentlemen - the whole Alec Guiness playing Alastair Simms but with menace - has been refined... too much to make the original seem a little pale.

I watched Coming to America 6/10 I liked it, I didn't realise the robber was Samuel Jackson, before...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    I have a fondness for Coming to America based on seeing at the cinema in Zurich. In English but with French and German subtitles.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2014
    Alfie

Was given a Michael Caine dvd box set for crimble

There is some EXCELLENT guitar playing in the background music, which according to the credits is by Sonny Rollins. 

Edit. A few googles reveal the guitarist was none other than Barney Kessel. I've got some of his EllPees. The man's a hero :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Tropic Thunder. Great fun, very silly, but fun.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    A Korean thing called 'Phone', which I was recommended with "You won't sleep for days" - didn't find it all that creepy, slightly disappointing. Still better than 90% of Hollywood horror these days though.