What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    johnnyurq;173694" said:
    How about an existentialist and/or phenomenology slanted review of Frozen, or Gravity @EricThe Weary.

That would beat film 2014 reviews for me, although she is slightly better looking than you.  ;)
    and she was funny on the Last Leg messing about with eye liner.

Goes away to look up ' phenomenology'...
    Yes she is mad as a box of frogs and very silly on most shows she is on. Big fat quiz of the year esoecially. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched Blade Runner again last night.
    What a fantastic film.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    edited February 2014
    IanSavage;173712" said:
    Watched 'Iron Sky' during a 'screw it, this might be so awful it's great' evening. We were exactly right :p Nazis on the moon wanting to invade Earth was part of the blurb, and if that sounds fun to you you'll love it...
    Thought it was actually quite well acted for a B movie style film. If you want a really badly made, terribly acted, so bad it's good film try Zombie Women of Satan. I taped it off the horror channel and finally got round to watching it the other day. Oh dear.
    >:D<

• Part way through The Life of Riley. Too many talking heads. Not enough BB playing the guitar.
    Watched this last night, taped it off BBC4 at the weekend.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    He came over as a more rounded, complex character than the caricature of him would suggest. Not that he's NOT a nice, easy going guy, but there's more going on than that.

Not a huge fan of his playing - you've kind of heard it all after the first few bars - so I didn't mind there was more talking than playing
    :\">

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Watched 'Rush' last night.Takes a few liberties with the truth,has soom terrible acting/dialogue/dodgy accents but mostly enjoyable.The guy playing Niki Lauda was good.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    RocknRollDave;174769" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Part way through The Life of Riley. Too many talking heads. Not enough BB playing the guitar.

Watched this last night, taped it off BBC4 at the weekend.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

He came over as a more rounded, complex character than the caricature of him would suggest. Not that he's NOT a nice, easy going guy, but there's more going on than that.

Not a huge fan of his playing - you've kind of heard it all after the first few bars - so I didn't mind there was more talking than playing

:\">
    some of those black and white clips looked great, I would have liked to have seen more. I read his autobiography a few years ago and I've read a biography and various articles so perhaps there were never going to be many surprises for me. BB is a band leader as much as anything and has great musicians, the strong ensemble playing doesn't really come across in those 30 second BB takes a solo,hummingbird vibrato, octave leap and out clips.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    johnnyurq;173694" said:
    How about an existentialist and/or phenomenology slanted review of Frozen, or Gravity @EricThe Weary.

That would beat film 2014 reviews for me, although she is slightly better looking than you.  ;)

Goes away to look up ' phenomenology'...
    @EricTheWeary That film on Heidegger's "Being & Time" which I mentioned a few posts up has lots on it, which is hardly surprising cos B&T is arguably one of the most thought provoking texts on the subject, and as it happens it's Sartre's misreading of B&T which led to his "Being & Nothingness" which is one of the core texts of French Existential philosophy.  At the very least it gives you an excuse to walk around in black turtle neck jumpers, smoke Gauloises, and say obscure but wonderfully nonsensical Sartrean quotes to impressionable, sexy young ladies*. 

:)

*  This strategy is currently not working in Dagenham.  Or 2014.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    Just finished watching Ip Man.  Wow, what an amazing film.  The fight scenes are superb and the storyline is great.  Highly recommended.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ted. I really enjoyed it.

What's not to enjoy about a teddy bear who likes alcohol, narcotics and hookers. And swears. A lot.

Brilliant for those moments when you just want to switch off, and not be serious.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Carriers.

Just not very good.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Blue Jasmine.
    Cate is terrific and my fingers are crossed for her tonight.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8102
    Ender's Game - brilliant scifi. I'm going to read the Orson Scott Card books on the strength of it. 

Man Of Steel - terrible in every way

The Impossible - very good indeed. I've never been the victim of a Tsunami but I imagine it to be a fairly good representation of the event and the aftermath. If you are a parent you will blub. 

Now You See Me - pretty good actually - didn't see the big twist for what it was until it happened.

Behind The Candelabra - brilliant performances,interesting story. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    TimmyO said:
    Ender's Game - brilliant scifi. I'm going to read the Orson Scott Card books on the strength of it. 

Man Of Steel - terrible in every way

The Impossible - very good indeed. I've never been the victim of a Tsunami but I imagine it to be a fairly good representation of the event and the aftermath. If you are a parent you will blub. 

Now You See Me - pretty good actually - didn't see the big twist for what it was until it happened.

Behind The Candelabra - brilliant performances,interesting story. 
    Have to admit I thought the first two thirds of MOS was really enjoyable, then Michael Bay seemed to have been given the directors chair.

And yes Now You See Me, again I failed to spot the twist! I'm usually pretty sharp with those sort of films, but yes that oufoxed me!

I haven't seen anything new lately, I tried watching..........Don't mess with the Zohan. Then after ten minutes I gave up and decided to watch the Nolan Batman trilogy again :P Tempted to go and see the new Liam Neeson shouty plane flick.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    i watched 2 very good robert redford films - 'jeremiah johnson' from 1972, a survivalist western about a loner mountain man and the various characters he encounters and the indian tribes like crow and flathead, and his last film 'all is lost', a minimalist film about an ocean sailor struggling to survive when his boat gets holed.

there's over 40 years between the films and his hair is lovely in both and exactly the same :P
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Thor the dark world : just fun, more of the same really.

The Karate Kid (the proper one) : made the kids watch it, now they're 'wax on, wax off' etc all the time.  Sprog 1 has an MA class tomorrow, so it'll be funny if she's doing it then.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Watched 'The Reeds' last night, 2009-ish British 'horror' - some nice ideas, but very badly-done with next-to-no characters development, leading to not giving a stuff about who lives or dies (to be honest, I didn't care about the bloke from Two Pints of Lager... from the outset). Disappointing.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Scanners. For reasons both numerous and inexplicable I have never managed to watch this before now. Glad I have rectified that. Despite it's low budget feel it is truly excellent.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

Her : Set slightly in the future a guy falls in love with his voice controlled operating system and starts to date it. Sounds crazy but it's an enjoyable film. Reminded me of Lars and the real girl

Captain Philips : Good action movie 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Thor the dark world : just fun, more of the same really.
    I thought this was deeply shit - totally predictable, mostly terrible acting and a total waste of the best actor they had (Eccleston). Very disappointing.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    TimmyO said:

It's a shame the author is such a deeply unpleasant man.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd